Notices
Paint and Body Auto Body Repair, Painting and Prep

replacing roof skin on em1

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing roof skin on em1

i was wondering if you guys had any info on how easy it is to have the roof skin with one without a sunroof hole . I would not be doing this myself i would take it to a shop to get done . I would also like to know if i would just need to change the skin or of the support brackets are different also . I fyou guys have pictures that would be awesome .
Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: replacing roof skin on em1

Well not looking at one you would have to take the front and rear windows out. Remove the head liner,and drill out all the spot welds. Most likely there is another support bar that is there so the roof does not wobble in the wind or make noise when you close the door. The ones in the car right now might be different since they are supporting a sunroof. That piece could be installed at the same time.
I have seen people just glue the skin on with panel bond. I see nothing wrong with that. The proper way is to weld it on since it is welded to begin with.
Then seam seal the drip rail area and paint.
Not a difficult job but not a cheap job. Make sure the interior is fully coverd and that you water test it all after it is done.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:56 PM
Trial User

With out a sunroof would be way easier than one with. and yes dieseas is right you have to pull the glass and drip rails out once that is done you will expose where the spot welds are. I wouldn't do it through the inside out but the outside part of the spot weld. I would start by using a spot weld drill and only drill the the roof skin spot weld and then work your way down. After that take a power putty chisel and sperate the two panels carefully. And yes there will be a support but that part is only glued using panel adhesive. When fitting your new panel make sure when you weld it work you way from the corners in while doing a x pattern kinda like how you tighten lug nuts with a cris cross motion but also apply panel adhesive to the bottom of the roof skin where it will not be welded along the drip rail area. then after done welding apply a thin coat of seam sealer and let dry. I would make sure and prime the new roof skin and block it before I paint it to make sure there are no waves and no dents in your new roof. Hope this helps!

Last edited by TylerH84; 08-03-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

remove the headliner, remove all the things related to the moon roof, drill out all the welds that attach the skin to the webbing, and cut the skin out, remove.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys one more thing do you guys think its worth the trouble ? i dont really use the moon roof and i like the more headroom even though im short lol and i always wanted that ek9 roof console .
Old 08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Trial User

Well maybe Im confused so you have the moonroof but dont want it anymore and you want to put a solid piece in its place? If thats the case scratch what I said and yes you will have to remove the headliner and all. Good luck with that should just leave it the way it was built.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:50 PM
Trial User

you might have to add a support if you get ride of the moonroof. Because that part that holds the glass in supports the roof skin in the front.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have considered this because I have my seats on the floor, literally the seat pans touch and my helmet is like a half inch from the headliner. I do love the moonroof but it sucks when you are 6'3".
Old 08-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TylerH84
Well maybe Im confused so you have the moonroof but dont want it anymore and you want to put a solid piece in its place? If thats the case scratch what I said and yes you will have to remove the headliner and all. Good luck with that should just leave it the way it was built.
it hasnt been the way it was built for years .
Old 08-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I hate moon roofs, just seems girly. I love my integra because it doesn't have one, like all the others.

I would get the skin off anther car like yours but take the webbing also, the moon roof was designed to make things rigit, so if you take it out, weld in the factory webbinvlg from the replacement skin