Notices
Introduce Yourself If you're new to Honda-Tech, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your ride!!

What should I buy!?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I buy!?

Hello everybody I am 19 years old and looking for my first project car. I was wondering if I should get an integra or a honda hatch or something of that nature. Thanks let me know what you think
Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What should I buy!?

Dear Honda forum should I buy 1 of the most popular/common cars on this site?
If you want to, just make sure it has what you want.
If in 6 months you will have spent money on it and wish it was a stick you will regret it.
And be careful buying someone else's project. I always pay $60-$70 to have a local dealership inspect cars I am interested in buying. Last time I got the person selling my old Accord to knock several thousand dollars off the price because of things noted on the inspection (tire wear, cut window tint, clutch wear, front window not sealing, cv joint leak, etc) and I had the satisfaction of knowing that a guy that works on em all day, didn't see any serious problems.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:42 AM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oihu
Hello everybody I am 19 years old and looking for my first project car. I was wondering if I should get an integra or a honda hatch or something of that nature. Thanks let me know what you think
What's your budget? If you have $2500 or so to work with then great. DC chassis Integra or EG is probably the best platform to get into. I just bought a beater daily driver recently. 1995 Honda Civic EX for $1500. Check it out:

https://ghettoracer.wordpress.com/20...ittle-blackie/

What you want to do is carefully look over the car to make sure it doesn't have any major damages. Mine for example was in fender bender but nothing too serious. It actually has a clean title which is kind of rare now days... look at your local craigslist and hopefully you can come across some good deals.

I recommend getting a EX Coupe or Si hatchback. D16Z6 is a great little engine and with a few bolt on's you can make 135-145 whp easily (with affordable ebay parts as well as some of my goodies). Or else if you can, get a DC (1994-2001 Integra) 2 door or 4 door GSR.

If you don't know how to inspect cars paying $50 or so for a professional report is highly worth it.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wheeldecide.com
Old 01-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by exgr
What's your budget? If you have $2500 or so to work with then great. DC chassis Integra or EG is probably the best platform to get into. I just bought a beater daily driver recently. 1995 Honda Civic EX for $1500. Check it out:

https://ghettoracer.wordpress.com/20...ittle-blackie/

What you want to do is carefully look over the car to make sure it doesn't have any major damages. Mine for example was in fender bender but nothing too serious. It actually has a clean title which is kind of rare now days... look at your local craigslist and hopefully you can come across some good deals.

I recommend getting a EX Coupe or Si hatchback. D16Z6 is a great little engine and with a few bolt on's you can make 135-145 whp easily (with affordable ebay parts as well as some of my goodies). Or else if you can, get a DC (1994-2001 Integra) 2 door or 4 door GSR.

If you don't know how to inspect cars paying $50 or so for a professional report is highly worth it.
I recently sold my old (1980 Pontiac firebird) for 8000 and all of that can go towards a project. I really don't know the honda world all that much any help would be great thanks
Old 01-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

forsure make sure its a manual transmission
do not get an automatic you will regret it as stated before
trust me been there done that
if you dont know how to drive stick shift yet have a friend who does know go with you to buy the car and drive it home
then teach yourself to drive stick theres plenty of great instructional videos on youtube
its very basic and just takes practice YOU GOT THIS
if you already know how to drive stick then perfect!

as a first honda i highly recommend buying an integra sedan from years 96-2001
you cant go wrong it has a nice engine setup/ plenty of power/
you and your passengers will be comfy with the interior/ very stylish/ and will be a great car to keep for the future

ive had civics before and they're great lil cars and great on gas milage but youll always be wanting more
if you get a coupe or hatch youll always be wanting more power since they all come stock with a single cam
so its either you rebuild internals/ swap out the engine for a bigger one/ add turbo or supercharger
or spend extra money at first and buy one with a swapped engine in it already
and in the end after spending all that money your still just driving a civic
second youll always want more space specially in a hatch its so small in there
think about situations where you have multiple friends hanging out or girls dude lol YOURE 19

thats just my 2 cents its your money and your choice
ive gone down this road and i wish somebody gave me this knowledge when i was shopping around for hondas
Old 01-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Homosexual by choice

Originally Posted by Oihu
I recently sold my old (1980 Pontiac firebird) for 8000 and all of that can go towards a project. I really don't know the honda world all that much any help would be great thanks
okay 8000 is very healthy, you need to read up and understand:

EG chassis, DC chassis, both are basically the same, difference is wheel base, DC being longer. same double A arm suspension up front, same trailing arm in the rear.

D series engines

B series engines

K series engines.

H series engines.

D and B both use the same engine mounts. K into EG/DC requires a mount kit to be welded. H series can be bolted into EG/DC as well. there is also something call H2B which is H engine with B tranny, bolting into EG/DC. confusing? read more than you will slowly get it. Hasport (engine mount company) also makes J series (Honda V6) engine into EG/DC as well.

Good luck. You HAVE to learn all this, it's really not that difficult once you get used to the code names.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay 8000 is very healthy, you need to read up and understand:

EG chassis, DC chassis, both are basically the same, difference is wheel base, DC being longer. same double A arm suspension up front, same trailing arm in the rear.

D series engines

B series engines

K series engines.

H series engines.

D and B both use the same engine mounts. K into EG/DC requires a mount kit to be welded. H series can be bolted into EG/DC as well. there is also something call H2B which is H engine with B tranny, bolting into EG/DC. confusing? read more than you will slowly get it. Hasport (engine mount company) also makes J series (Honda V6) engine into EG/DC as well.

Good luck. You HAVE to learn all this, it's really not that difficult once you get used to the code names.
. Thank you is one engine better than another or jus it just depend
Old 01-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Homosexual by choice

Each engine series has their pros/cons. Which one to choose depends on your budget and performance goals. Generally speaking all are dependable Honda engines. The most popular would be the B series swaps of course. But the price for K swap has slowly dropped over the years. J swaps is more rare, but gaining popularity.

You may also want to check the car classifies. People who are leaving the Honda scene often let go of their cars for really good prices. You'd save a bundle compare to building one from scratch yourself. Deals can be had for un-finishes or semi finished cars as well, sometimes life takes over or people lose interest over time. The key is to take your time and don't buy on an impulse. Think twice, 3 times before handing over your hard earned cash.

Although, how do you manage to have a $8000 car at your age? I'm kind of impressed by that.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Each engine series has their pros/cons. Which one to choose depends on your budget and performance goals. Generally speaking all are dependable Honda engines. The most popular would be the B series swaps of course. But the price for K swap has slowly dropped over the years. J swaps is more rare, but gaining popularity.

You may also want to check the car classifies. People who are leaving the Honda scene often let go of their cars for really good prices. You'd save a bundle compare to building one from scratch yourself. Deals can be had for un-finishes or semi finished cars as well, sometimes life takes over or people lose interest over time. The key is to take your time and don't buy on an impulse. Think twice, 3 times before handing over your hard earned cash.

Although, how do you manage to have a $8000 car at your age? I'm kind of impressed by that.
ok thank you. I bought it off of a guy when I was 16 keep it for a bit fixed some small stuff then flipped it
I found an integra with an h22 swap. The motar has 65k on it let me know what you think

Last edited by Oihu; 01-06-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:03 AM
Homosexual by choice

what year teggy? manual h22a? USDM swap or JDM? sounds like it can be a good one. post some pix and specs.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what year teggy? manual h22a? USDM swap or JDM? sounds like it can be a good one. post some pix and specs.
yes 1996 h22a manual with the jdm sap and a front end jdm swap I don't know how to post pictures
Old 01-07-2017, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am 6 foot 2 Inc would I find comfortable in one of these cars?