Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

legalizing your jdm itr motor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (2kgs-R)

Do you know on the jdm if you are able to bypass or remove the purge solenoid?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (Petey Puff)

dont know why anyone would want to...?? this thred is about making the jdm motor legal
Old 04-29-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (ricekiller1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ricekiller1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont know why anyone would want to...?? this thred is about making the jdm motor legal</TD></TR></TABLE>

It is legal on the usdm engine why would it make a difference on the jdm? I have a broken evap canister and want to eliminate the sensor completely.
Old 04-30-2007, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (Petey Puff)

the reason they put 2000 on it was because of the year it was made available to the US.

i have a 96 civic and passed a 2000 gsr motor by using a OBD2a ecu. nothing else was done, and when they passed it, they passed it as a 96 engine because that was the first year the gsr was made available in obd2

refs are weird.

someone had asked about a b16a? you need to legalize to the specs that that engine was first made available in the US. so you have to pass it to the del sol vtec spec.

as far as catalytic converter goes. you can pass any cat converter as long as its CA legal. example, my cat is an aftermarket Car Sound cat, its CA obd2 legal so its ok to run with it.

obd1 engine is easier because you can by a 100 buck universal cat and it will work.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (4drgsr96)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4drgsr96 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the reason they put 2000 on it was because of the year it was made available to the US.

i have a 96 civic and passed a 2000 gsr motor by using a OBD2a ecu. nothing else was done, and when they passed it, they passed it as a 96 engine because that was the first year the gsr was made available in obd2

refs are weird.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

hey 4drgsr96 is your car a 96 civic 4 door? what motor did it orginally come with?

yes refs are ( weird) like cops they can choose when to enforce the smog laws of the state of cali.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (SCR ZC-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SCR ZC-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hey 4drgsr96 is your car a 96 civic 4 door? what motor did it orginally come with?

yes refs are ( weird) like cops they can choose when to enforce the smog laws of the state of cali.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah its a four door, came with the good ol d16y7
Old 08-19-2007, 08:59 AM

Old 08-22-2007, 03:48 AM

It must suck to modify a car in califonia, I'm in oregon and my jdm itr swap
wen't right through deq first try. Passed visual and sniffer.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (Rd91SiB18ls)

Thank god for Oklahoma. I could put a JDM ITR with open header and no one would ever care. We don't even have vehicle inspections to make sure the cars are road worthy. Kinda scary, but makes it nice to mod cars.
Old 08-29-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question.

I would like to know with the exception of the ITR Intake manifold and the ITR ECU can the USDM GSR parts be used to substitute the rest of the parts you used? I am trying to find a way to get my swap reasonably priced. I'd like to have it Bar'd as soon as the swap is done as well. I am just trying to do my homework before proceeding with such an expensive mod. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:29 AM

Default Re: (marlim4lude)

sorry for the bump...i need this information for later on...
Old 01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is GREAT info! answers all my questions about making a jdm motor smog legal.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (alterdcreations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alterdcreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the plenum on the jdm type-r is alot bigger than the usdm </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you look close at the picture, you will notice that the JDM manifold is just closer to the camera.

Anyway, if you live in California AND are running a 2.5 inch header, you should look into getting a JDM 1996-1998 exhaust manifold. This way, you won't need a different cat for testing. The 1996-1998 JDM manifold looks as stock as can be, yet has a 2.5 inch flange for a larger cat.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM
gtz
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (StorminMatt)

anyone able to comfirm that the 99-01 JDM ITR swaps are easier to BAR?

Ive got a 2000 coupe that id like to have a legit swap for

How do i get around the immobilizer on the ECU? any tricks? thanks
Old 02-11-2008, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (gtz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gtz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone able to comfirm that the 99-01 JDM ITR swaps are easier to BAR?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, my motor is actually a 1997. So I am not sure what the setup is on a 1999-2001. BUT, if the newer motor actually has the crankshaft speed fluctuation sensor, provisions for a purge valve on the intake manifold, and VTEC pressure switch, then it should be easier to BAR for this reason. But I'm not sure how to handle the immobilizer. I'm not sure if you can pass the newer JDM motor off as an older one and use the older USDM ECU.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor! (StorminMatt)

wow this thread is still alive!!!

I'm glad my research has helped/continues to help the honda community.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2kgs-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow this thread is still alive!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, this thread is alive fo sho!! haha. good write up.... i've heard of ppl gettin by with a jdm header, and doing the CFK trick.. i guess it all depends on the ref?

Old 12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EK9-Stealth
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2kgs-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow this thread is still alive!!!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep, this thread is alive fo sho!! haha. good write up.... i've heard of ppl gettin by with a jdm header, and doing the CFK trick.. i guess it all depends on the ref?
hella days later and its still helping members...
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: legalizing your jdm itr motor!

Originally Posted by 2kgs-R
Okay well the story starts out like this, a couple of months ago I decided to buy a jdm 96 spec b18c type r motor. I had the help from a friend install the motor with in a week. The car felt great with this new motor swapped in, there was a significant increase in low to mid range torque which I love. (b18c1 lacked torque!)

Fast forward 2 months later, I got pulled over on 280, cop asks if I have any other mods to my car other than exhaust, and I said no. He tells me to pop my hood and notices my dc jdm 4-1 header with out a carb number. The cop got pissed and wrote me up for speeding and my header. (btw I was doing approx. 75 at 1am with not a car in sight, wasn't even in a hurry).

Ok well I did alot of research on if its possible to make a jdm type r motor legal, I couldn't find many people who have gotten their jdm R swap bar'd but many b16/b18c gsr's bar'd. So I figured if it could be done with a gsr motor why not a type r? below is a list of parts that'll be required to make a jdm type r swap legal into a integra chassis.

1. stock header

2. stock cat. (this will work better than an after market unit, plus you'll probably need the extra cat. material to make up for higher compression.)

3. usdm intake manifold (jdm doesn't have purge solenoid nipple)

4. purge solenoid

5. usdm type r ecu ( since my car is a 2k year model I needed a 2k year model ecu, which is obdIIb also I had to get my key programmed to this usdm ecu sine there is an immobilizer)

6. usdm obdII oil pump (the one with mounting brackets for the CKF [crank fluctuation sensor])

7. CKF sensor

8. usdm crank gear ( the jdm one has the key welded to the gear)

9. usdm obdII lower timing belt cover.

10. usdm vtec solenoid (the whole unit which mounts to the head with the 3 10mm screws, the jdm unit doesn't have an oil pressure sensor)

11. crank gear key

12. not a part but I was told that the jdm throttle body is different compared to the usdm throttle body. One major difference is that theres a thin semi long nipple sticking out at the top of the throttle body, I just broke mine off. Now it looks like a usdm model and I passed with it too.

here are some pictures to help you understand which parts I'm refering to in the list above.

Here is the intake manifold, the one on the right is a usdm spec model, the differene is the nipple next to the brake booster.

heres another picture of the usdm spec intake manifold, this is a close up of the nipple thats needed for the evap purge solenoid.

heres what the evap purge solenoid looks like Oh yeah you must use black hoses, I failed the first time because my hoses were clear

this is the jdm thorttle body which I passed with, you can see traces of broken or bent metal if you look closely, the nipple that was there on top of the throttle body I just bent off

This is a usdm obdII oil pump with CKF sensor on it, this is a must if your going to run an usdm ecu

heres the two crank gears, notice one has teeth so the CKF sensor can read the crank fluctuation helps prevent detonation better

heres the jdm crank gear, notice the key is welded to the gear, you'll need a new key

here you can see the difference between usdm and jdm lower timing belt covers, I think the jdm is equivalent to an obdI lower timing belt cover. The jdm unit is on the left

This is a jdm vtec solenoid unit, the top and lower portion. The usdm one has a sensor for the oil pressure, it looks green.

This is the end result of all the hard work
good write up

Last edited by ALLxMOTOR EG; 01-30-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread. Those pics are really helpful.
The following users liked this post:
Old 01-20-2009, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good write-up....

Glad I don't live in Ca, or NJ or any other resident state. Yes, I am a ghost.

-XLR8
Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if there is a fee, and if any how much does it cost to get a JDM GSR '96+ spec bar'd into a '94 EX coupe? i mean i know TYPE Rs are pretty close to GSRs as far as just the look of the motor ofcoures the manifold being an exception but what else needs to be done other then what 2kgs-R originally said on the TYPE R. But yeah, any fees or anything else i need to do? any input will be alotta help thanks =]

thanks

Last edited by ej1mitts; 05-03-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great info. This should come in handy if I scrap my rebuild.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

EDIT nevermind, misinformation on my part

for those wondering, usdm itr= 195hp 130tq, jdm spec is EDIT 200hp EDIT130tq

Last edited by mattliston; 08-30-2009 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where are you getting 210?

Quick Reply: legalizing your jdm itr motor!