Honda S2000 Honda S2000

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Rough idle

Ok, I bought a 00 S2K and I had to have the clutch replaced. After I got it back from the tranny shop, I noticed that when I pushed the clutch in, the rpm's would fall way low, like around 5-700 rpms and my whole car will shudder for a moment and then rpm's would go back to normal. Can ANYONE help me with this issue????
Old 06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rough idle

Does this happen when cars in neutral? Does the Car move forward in First gear when it happens?
If So Slave cylinder or master cylinder or you need to bleed lines.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Trial User

sounds like a bad throw out bearing seizing causing too much load on the motor....you should get that checked out 1st.
Old 07-02-2011, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have sputter out of the exhaust?
Did they do something to reset the ECU? maybe it's relearning?
How is our clutch pedal feel? Soft? Hard?
How does your clutch fluid look?
I doubt it's a throwbearing issue, OP not complaining about the noise that comes with it lol
When's the last time you changed coil packs and/or spark plugs???
Too many unknowns to directly diagnose youre problem, so these are some things to check out good luck-Justin
Old 07-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds kinda like heat bog as a result of heat soak, but if it only happens when you engage the clutch, then IDK.
Old 07-02-2011, 05:12 PM
GDD Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check to see if either of these ground straps are damaged or loose. I'm not saying this is your problem, but it'll only take a second to check.
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this an ongoing issue, or have you only driven it home from the shop? If the disconnected the battery, it could just be the ECU resetting.

You might also want to check the cam position sensor, sometimes they get banged up on the firewall if the shop allows the engine to tilt rearward too much.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take it back
Old 07-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Trial User

Still havent isolated the issue. Had my brother hook up his code reader, and it was throwing a code for knock sensor, and somethin that has to do with somethin about low flow. Not sure if it was a fuel flow or what. problly just gonna take it to a honda dealership. I will check some of the things yall have mentioned b4 I take it in. Thx.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:38 PM
Trial User

It has no sputter out of the exhaust. It has a new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing. and pilot bearing. And new fly wheel. Clutch is real easy to push in.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch master and slave cylinders are probably going out, replace them
Old 07-12-2011, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could possibly be the crank thrust washers have worn out and causing this. With someone helping you, press down the clutch and keep it down while the other person checks the crank pulley for slight movement. If it moves, then those washers are most likely worn out and need to be replaced. This could be one of the reasons the Rpms drop only when the clutch is pushed in.

I have had a bad master and slave cylinder and they do not affect the idle of the car. They squeak and the clutch pedal gets weaker and weaker until it eventually dies and sticks to the floor.

The easiest way to find out if the clutch master cylinders bad is to check the driver side kick panel and dead pedal for leaks. If it is leaking inside the cabin, its most likely on its way out
Old 07-12-2011, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you just get the car and replaced the clutch shortly after? If so then you may have had the problem from the start and just didn't see it since you have not owned it very long.

I ask as you say "I bought a 00 S2K" and just joined. There is a known issue with these cars that some of them you cannot simply press the clutch in take it out of gear and free wheel to a stop. This type of driving causes some of the older S to stall as the idle cannot catch itself. The exact cause could be a number of things, there have been sucessful fixes of the issue using the MAP sensor whack. Another is not free wheeling to a stop but rev matching and downshifting to stops.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JdmTypeRdc2
Could possibly be the crank thrust washers have worn out and causing this. With someone helping you, press down the clutch and keep it down while the other person checks the crank pulley for slight movement. If it moves, then those washers are most likely worn out and need to be replaced. This could be one of the reasons the Rpms drop only when the clutch is pushed in.

I have had a bad master and slave cylinder and they do not affect the idle of the car. They squeak and the clutch pedal gets weaker and weaker until it eventually dies and sticks to the floor.

The easiest way to find out if the clutch master cylinders bad is to check the driver side kick panel and dead pedal for leaks. If it is leaking inside the cabin, its most likely on its way out
I know the clutch master and slave dont control idle,I've replaced many, I was stating he should look into replacing them,since it's an 00 as a precaution, the possibly fix the pedal feel...as far as his idle problem we need more info, at number of things can affect idle
Old 07-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If your throwing a code for the knock sensor, which can be damaged pretty easy when doing a clutch job the shop most likely broke it, bring it back.