Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

why do my seals keep blowing out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why do my seals keep blowing out?

I have a 2001 prelude sh. I already had to replace the rear main seal, pan gasket seal, valve cover gasket, and a few other small seals in the engine. Now the damn thing is leaking again, from the seam between the block and transaxle. It's motor oil. So I'm guessing its the rear main again. But why does it keep leaking???

Interesting thing, my oil level is perpetually low, so as ocd as I am, I keep monitoring the level and adding more. Its always usually a little less than half. I just checked my oil level not too long ago, and the level is 3-4 inches higher on the dipstick than max!! I talked to my mechanic and he said either I added too much (I doubt it highly but won't dismiss the probability), there might be antifreeze leaking into my oil (none on dipstick, antifreeze level hasn't changed at all) or there is fuel leaking into my crankcase somehow. My oil does smell a bit like gas, but not overly so.

If it is fuel, what could be the problem? Could that be the reason my seals keep blowing out? How would I fix it?

-Thanks
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why do my seals keep blowing out?

Oil will smell a little like gas.

As for you over filling the engine oil. Thats probally your reason. Esp if you are checking the oil level right after you shut the engine off. It needs about 5-10 mins, for all the oil to return to the pan, and cool off a tad.

Or, I have even done this before. Checked my oil level on a slanted incline without realizing it. Noticed it was a quart low, dumped a quart in. Checked it later that day to see it was a quart to high.

The only thing that will blow out a new seal is too much oil, and or improperly installed component. Take your pick, they are probably both user error, lol.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, check out the breather system. The PCV valve, hose, and fresh air inlet at the valve cover. Make sure everything is in place, working properly and hoses arent kinked or plugged.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does that leak happen to appear between the tranny dust shield and Block perhaps? That would be the Cam cap seal or if you have vtec, it would usually be the plug that sits behind the vtec solenoid. H23a1 it would sit behind the Ignitor/Coil. Feel under where the black cap sits. If it feels wet with oil that is your culprit.

Over filling the crankcase will cause seal blow outs. Only measure oil as mentioned after sufficient time has taken place after running, to allow oil to settle. Also if on any incline, the level will be inaccurate so only measure on a level surface.

Drain excess oil or do an oil change at a shop and have them fill it to proper capacity. Ask them to wash /pressure wash your crankcase / tranny gently so when the leak occurs you can trace it out easily.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I replaced my crankcase breather hose with a WeaponR breather that came with the car but was never installed. I have to as of yet check my PCV valve. And I'm going to chnge the oil that way I know exactly how much is in there. 01 prelude's crankcase capacity is 5.1qts btw. Also I think I've been checking my oil wrong...at least my mechanic says so...

I kinda doubt that it was user error, I could be wrong but I doubt it. Although since I kept topping it off since it keeps leaking I think it is a possibility. I'll kick myself if it was my fault.

Anywho...I know the kid who had it before me beat on it, redlining it before the engine was even broken in, so I'll prolly have to have my mechanic check my pistons and valves and such.

As for the Cam cap(?) that sits behind the Vtech solonoid, what exactly is it for and where, specifically is it located? And if it is leaking, what would the issue be? The engine is Vtech H22a4.

-thanks
Old 11-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you park on a hill when you check your oil? This could be the reason you think its low constantly.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nope, my parking lot is as flat as a ruler.

I always thought you checked your oil with the engine warmed up, and wiped the dipstick, stuck it back in and checked it again.

However I was told you just check it cold, and don't wipe it, and wherever the oil comes up to is where it is, even if it's not a flat line across. Like the scraped or wiped looking oil near the top which I figured was prolly oil that got on it when you pulled the dipstick out, like residual oil clinging to the inside of the dipstick tube.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by havikprelude

I always thought you checked your oil with the engine warmed up, and wiped the dipstick, stuck it back in and checked it again.

That is the way you're supposed to check it.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if that's how I'm supposed to check it then I don't see how it's user error.

It keeps leaking...from what looks like the seam between the block and the transaxle. Also the oilpan. I just had the rear main, pan gasket (two rubber things), valve cover gasket and a couple others inside the engine replaced, and it's leaking again. So obviously replacing the seals wasn't the problem. I'm going to have my mechanic replace all the seals again, but if they're all going to blow out again what's the point?

I need to find the cause...I'll change my oil and check my pcv valve, then wash it and throw some baby powder over it, try and find exactly where it's coming from.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

PCV valve
Old 12-03-2009, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^^x100 pcv valve stands for positive crankcase ventilation if its clogged it would cause the same thing your going through
Old 01-01-2010, 08:35 PM

I agree. My first guess would be the PCV. As pressure builds in the case it has to come out somewhere. This may expain the "blown seals".