Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Spent an hour on the hoist trying to locate my oil leak today

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spent an hour on the hoist trying to locate my oil leak today

oil collects pretty generously underneath the transmission as it sits overnight, upon visual inspection you'll find caked oil on top of the transmission, on the bumper cover side of it, and HEAVILY caked on the passenger side of the housing, everything on the driver's side of the engine remains intact and clean.

We cleaned up all the oil with brake kleen and let it run both in the air and on the ground and searched for leaking oil blipping the throttle etc and finding nothing!

Also we drained my tranny oil and replaced it thinking JUST maybe it could be coming from the transmission since it's so close, but it's not. Not the rear main either, flywheel window in front shows a perfectly dry flywheel. There never really has been any accumulation visible from the engine bay, I just recently replaced the oil cooler seal which did solve some leaking from there, but i'm still losing a descent amount.

So, I left there and took it back out on the road, frustrated and confused, decided to pull it to 7500... smelled some oil burn off the manifold or something else hot, apparently whichever seal is leaking, it only does it under load in vtec

any clues? 1993 h22a1
Old 05-09-2003, 04:45 AM

nobody?
Old 05-09-2003, 04:47 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: (overdose)

could be the rear main seal or oil pan gasket
Old 05-09-2003, 05:53 AM

Default Re: (Boosted97Lude)

I can't remember what it's called right now so I'll just describe it. The round cap at the end of the intake cam. Also the seal by the distributor. I know mine was leaking and I couldn't pin point it either but I found that it was leaking at that seal. Took it out cleaned it up put some sealer on there and it stopped leaking. Now I just have to find my other oil leak. I know my oil pan gasket is leaking. I'll try to remember what those are called when it isn't 9:45AM and I'm not so damn tired.
Old 05-09-2003, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sephro)

It could be VTEC valve seal.

Part 16.
pentaq
Old 05-09-2003, 07:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like time for a new vtec seal, and while in the process id replace you cam plug seal also if you have the time, because they tend to go also and would be good preventive maintenance.
Old 05-09-2003, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumking15)

Wouldn't hurt to check your valve cover vent hoses and PCV valve. The crank case may be pressurizing at high rpm, which could cause leakes in lots of places. Another thought is the vent on the tranny. If you overfill the tranny oil, it will foam up and come out the vent on top of the tranny. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-09-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Re: (drumking15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like time for a new vtec seal, and while in the process id replace you cam plug seal also if you have the time, because they tend to go also and would be good preventive maintenance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

"VTEC Seal" and "Cam plug seal", where are these?

cam plug seal same as the cam seals?
Old 05-09-2003, 08:29 AM

Default Re: (flyrod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by flyrod &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wouldn't hurt to check your valve cover vent hoses and PCV valve. The crank case may be pressurizing at high rpm, which could cause leakes in lots of places. Another thought is the vent on the tranny. If you overfill the tranny oil, it will foam up and come out the vent on top of the tranny. Good luck and let us know how it goes!</TD></TR></TABLE>

PCV system is all good to go and the vent on my transmission is capped, whatever gets on "top" of the transsmission and on the sides sprays from somewhere because there's no visible dripdown around the head
Old 05-09-2003, 10:53 AM

Default Re: (pentaq)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pentaq &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could be VTEC valve seal.

Part 16.
pentaq</TD></TR></TABLE>
The cap I was talking about is what looks like #8 on this pic. You can see it on the top right picture. it's at the end of the cam next to the distributor.
Old 05-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Boostless97Lude

Default Re: (Sephro)

cams seals, or VTEC seals, or cam caps or whatever the **** you wanna call it don't typically go bad
Old 05-09-2003, 12:24 PM

well i'll have to try to find some accumulation in those areas, maybe i'll take some pics, there's really no evidence of oil around there
Old 05-11-2003, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (overdose)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by overdose &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the vent on my transmission is capped</TD></TR></TABLE>

That cap is not a seal. It is a vent. If you use the wrong kind of oil or overfill the tranny, oil will come out that vent even with the cap in place. Are you using gear oil in the tranny? Some gear oils are designed to foam up to make sure oil gets everywhere without a pump. Honda trannys do NOT use gear oil. They use 10-40 motor oil or Honda MTF. If you are getting oil on the top of your transmission, this is my guess as to why. This also explains why you don't get a leak by revving the engine with the car on a hoist (most of the gears in the tranny are not turning with it in neutral). You can try putting a piece of cardboard between the tranny and the head. If oil is really spraying from the head to the top of the tranny, you should be able to see it on the cardboard. Good luck...
Old 05-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted97Lude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted97Lude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cams seals, or VTEC seals, or cam caps or whatever the **** you wanna call it don't typically go bad</TD></TR></TABLE>

ummm yes actually they do. and they are 2 different things. look at picture. #8 is the CAM CAP which is a common problem on older VTEC engines. Honda has since made the cap out of a different material. #16 is the VTEC Gasket, which, like any other gasket, can be prone to leak especially on older engines.

Old 05-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bda91acc)

oh yea, back to original topic, this sounds like your rear main oil seal. You will have to take the tranny off to further inspect this. Removal of this seal requires removal of the flywheel, oil pan. (and all that transmission and related stuff you will have just taken out to check this seal)

Upon removing the transmission, if there's oil all behind the flywheel and on the housing there, the seal is bad. IF its all clean, its good. Maybe try to shine a flashlight down the timing inspection port and check. Any clutch problems?
Old 05-14-2003, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How does a rear main seal leak result in the "caked oil on top of the transmission" that he is describing??
Old 05-15-2003, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (flyrod)

oil leaks behind the flywheel, flywheel disperses oil through centrifical force in all directions, including up.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after re-reading this post its not the rear main, original poster already eliminated that. Could be distributor or vtec solenoid
Old 05-15-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a 94 vtec, my cam plug was leaking and so was my vtec solinoid, check those. the oil leak with the vtec gasket was hard to track donw becasue it only leaked when vtec crossed over. tricky little bitch
Old 05-16-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (prelittlelude)

yeah..sounds like it could be your vtec solenoid valve filter gasket.. it's the rubber piece that goes between the valve and the head...it's #8 in the diagram
Old 05-20-2003, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um to make some corrections and not to be an *** about it either...what you said could be used in honda trannys was 10w-40 or honda mtf...yes honda mtf is a good choice....but 10w-40 is a no no...recomended is 10w-30 sf or sw quality....not to many oils fill this...to replace that oil id go w/ 2-3 quarts of redline mtl....and you call the splashing of the oil...the proper terminology is frothing and the reason it foams is because air mixes with the oil creating tiny bubbles inside and when these bubbles come in contact w/ a surface that is suppose to be lubricated..well there just isnt any oil there leading to premature wear....happens to most piston rings on people who overfill there oil leading to early engine failure etc...you get the point....once again check you cam seal its behind the distributor on the rear of the head....also i forgot it could be your distributor o-ring, same concept as the cam seal except it is an o-ring the goes around the cam to keep oil out from the distributors side...and the vtec spool assembly like others said. Changing all those will cost you about $20-25 and about 1hr - 1.5hr depending on how mechanically your inclined etc....good luck w/ the fix