Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

problems with sunroof seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with sunroof seal

i want to remove my sunroof just to change the outside panel cause its rusted do i have to take the whole thing off?? also ive read that ppl had problems with the outside seal if i take off the roof will it damage the seal? if so you guys know where to get another one if i do mess it up
Old 06-30-2008, 04:33 AM

Default Re: problems with sunroof seal (darockstar)

I just replaced my moon roof panel on a 92 because it was completely rusted through.
I got the entire assembly off eBay and replaced the panel. You don't have to take the seal off if get a panel that is in good shape. The panel that I got had a few spots of surface rust so I decided to take the seal off, sand, bondo and prime. I put the seal back on w/ 3m weather striping sealant. A little messy. So far so good.

If you just want to replace the panel it is very simply to remove. The hardest part for me was getting the panel itself off of the assembly I got from eBay. I had to plug it in to the moon roof motor plug in my 92 so I could open it enough to remove the panel.
If you want to get the panel and seal by themselves, it could be expensive. I checked http://www.thehondapartsstore.com and the panel is around $200 and the seal is around $110. Your best bet is probably eBay.
hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:53 PM

Default Re: problems with sunroof seal (jungr123)

how did you change just the panel cause thats just what im trying to do
Old 07-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Default Re: problems with sunroof seal (darockstar)

Where will you be getting your panel from?
If you get the panel like I did w/ the entire assembly you'll have to do a little more work.
If you get the panel w/ seal by itself then you just have to...
- Remove the trim that is between the moonroof and the head liner.
- let the panel slide about a quarter of the way back w/ the two black screws on the sides in the front accessible enough for you to remove.
- Now move the moon roof all the way back and slide you hand in between the moon roof liner and the panel itself so the clips will pop out and you can pull the liner toward the front of the car leting it fall down.
- Slide the liner towards the back of the car to get it out of the way, and now you have access to the four (I think 10mm) nuts that you will remove to take your panel off. Watch out for the shim that will probably start falling once you puul the old moonroof out.
- If you panel is anything like mine was youll have to clean out the flakes of rust. You should also spray the tracks down w/ some silicone spray.
- Now you should just install the panel in reverse order. Be careful tightening the bolts because I made the mistake of being a little tired and hasty and I broke one of the bolts off, but thankfully the sunroof doesnt leak. I just need to get it painted now.

If you end up getting the entire assembly w/ the sunroof like I did, you'll have to remove the rear headliner to access the moon roof electrcal plug. This was the only way that I could get the new panel out of the second assembly.

Let me know if you need some more info, I'll be glad to help.

Old 07-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems with sunroof seal (jungr123)

Like said before, the seal can be removed without damaging it.