Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

need help: vafc2 problem and problem with a local norcal shop

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help: vafc2 problem and problem with a local norcal shop

STORY-
alright, i bought a vafc2 off of a friend of mine that was in perfect working condition. i traded it to another friend of mine for some brake parts. that friend went to have some work done at a local shop here in the sacramento area. all he wanted was for the vafc2 to be hooked up. he takes it to this shop and the owner spends an hour trying to hook it up to his '96 prelude vtec. after that hour he says that the vafc2 is broken and probably stolen. after this he makes my friend pay $85 for the hours worth of labor. my friend pays and then gets into his car outside and notices that the ecu is hanging out and that there are wires everywhere still. he also notices his side skirt has been practically knocked off. he then proceeds to try and start his car... it wont start. he walks back in and asks the owner what he expects him to do: "am i to just sit outside in my car and re-wire everything to get it to run?". the owner shrugs his shoulders and says he doesnt know and then goes about his business. my friend then spends 2 hours just getting his car to run properly again.

my questions:
#1- my vafc2 i traded him was not stolen and i bought it off a close friend of mine in working condition. is there ANY way to hook it up quickly (possibly a negative and positive wire on the battery) to just see if the display turns on? the problem that happened was that the turn **** on the controller turned on but the actual display stayed blank. i just want a way to prove it works properly...

#2- it sounds to me like the owner of this shop doesnt know what he is doing... maybe he isnt very familiar with preludes or something but him and his shop is pretty reputable. what course of action do you think my friend should take? he was pretty much charged $85 for this guy to screw up his car and make a mess out of it.

any help is appreciated.
_zac

ps: the name of the shop and the owner will be kept on the "down low" for the time being... we'll see what happens.

Modified by SlimBB4 at 11:41 AM 9/20/2006
Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: need help: vafc2 problem and problem with a local norcal shop (SlimBB4)

What the shop did was pretty jacked up, but anyway.

Maybe it doesn't work? If the shop was even half way decent they know how to hook up a VAFC. Preludes, civics, integras, etc, it's basically the same just different colored wires.

I don't see why hooking up the power and ground on it to check it working would hurt it, but I don't know for sure. I vaguley remember doing it on my AVC-R like 4 years ago. But check the wiring hook ups and make sure it needs +12V before you hook it straight up to your battery.

I'm bored at work and will see if I can find the diagrams for you.

EDIT: My experience was with the original VAFC, I'm not sure it applied to the VAFC2. Maybe it does. I've been out of the loop for awhile.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help: vafc2 problem and problem with a local norcal shop (SlimBB4)

According to the manual here:

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/12.pdf

The unit is pretty sensitive to how it is grounded, although I bet this is more because of the need for it measure voltage specifically it needs a steady ground than it is to power (not fry) the unit. I wouldn't mess with it.

Check out the insturctions, it's not hard to do yourself. Pull the ECU, take a look at the wiring harness going into the ECU (per the directions) and tap / splice the wires it shows you. Good Luck.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:41 PM

man id punch the **** out of that slimy bastard and then **** on his mom
Old 09-20-2006, 12:52 PM

Default Re: (CGags13)

check this link out. this might help you out. that's my car btw hehe. i relocated my vafc in my glove comparment.

http://diy.prostreetonline.com...id=52
Old 09-20-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CGags13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CGags13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man id punch the **** out of that slimy bastard and then **** on his mom</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... i feel the same way, unfortunately is was a friend there instead of myself.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo Lude SH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Check out the insturctions, it's not hard to do yourself. Pull the ECU, take a look at the wiring harness going into the ECU (per the directions) and tap / splice the wires it shows you. Good Luck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the reason why i traded it in the first place is i cant afford the PnP harness and cant afford to get it tuned after its installed.
i didnt want to start slicing wires going into my ecu. i guess i will just get my money back for it from my friend i bought it from and tell him it no longer works even though it should....
_zac
Old 09-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (SlimBB4)

i bet the dude did fry it. i installed mine just as easy. he might have used the wrong wiring diagram and messed something up. also working in that tight of a space probably pissed him off because he did all that work and had nothing to show for it.

the reason i say he might have messed up is because it is an obd2 car and he might have looked up the obd1 wiring diagram.
Old 09-20-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Re: (petern101)

Sounds to me like the person realized a simple VAGC was beyond his knowledge and Freaked something up. Then tried the ol' "Oh it dont work" trick. Tell you buddy to buy a Marcucci Harness. It will take you 5 minutes to install. Ived installed VAFCs cutting wires and using the harness. I personally will never install a VAFC cutting wires while there is a way easy way in using the harness.

Tell you buddy to throw a brick threw that jackasses window. That way he will get his money back.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:12 PM

Did you friend pay with credit card? I will only pay with my CC when it comes down to dealing with mechanics, because they expletive something up i'll charge my CC then contest the charges. End of story, quick, painless, and avoids jail time from arrant bricks from moving vehicles directed at shop windows or the jackasses car. It does sound to me like the guy fucked it up, If you know that it was working before and you can prove that it isnt "stolen" you might get him to pay for a new one.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need help: vafc2 problem and problem with a local norcal shop (Chuckles99SH)

i will call the owner within the next couple of days or have my friend call. i will see what i can come up with. anyone have the difference between the obd1 and obd2 wiring instructions?
_zac
Old 09-20-2006, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only difference is that the locations for the wires on the harness... take a look at the links

http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/afc1.jpg
this will tell you want diagram to use

http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/afc2.jpg
this will show you the diagram

WH2 is usually for the 97+ and the
WH1 is for the 92+

This is an easy installation you should've probaly done it yourself and make a couple of bucks

Hope everything works out