Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Help with an 89 prelude turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with an 89 prelude turbo

Hi,

I'm preparing to buy an 89 prelude si and I'm in need of some help. I have zero knowledge of cars whatsoever to the point where you could tell me anything and it would blend together like a mess of information in my head. I tried reading the FAQ but some of the information seemed confusing for someone who has never read about prelude's before.

Sorry for sounding ignorant. This car has a snapped o2 sensor and there's also a hole in the radiator. He seemed honest about there not being any other problems with the car so I'll start with this. In the FAQ it says simulated sensor but nothing real? Does this mean they don't make sensors for the 89 anymore or is the guide only explaining how to get away with making one yourself for saving money?

The radiator has a slow leak that started this month, he'll fix it if I buy the car but here's where my next question comes in. He's asking 4000 for the car but I offered him 3300. So he says 3200 without the radiator and 3600 to get it fixed. Does this seem like a fair price? Would I be better off buying it for 3200 and having it done by somebody I know or will I end up spending 200-300 anyway?

The car in question is this one here, let me know what you guys think. http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cto/902037368.html

Deal or no deal?

Forgive me if this is all obvious, I'm just so bad with cars.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're bad with cars, is an aftermarket turbocharged 20 year old car really a great car to be buying?

Radiators are easy to replace, and oxygen sensors aren't too bad either, but I'd expect many more problems...
Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 PM

It would be a lot better on gas than my current 85 mustang. I figured the price of this car is reasonable, at least in my area the average price for most cars is surprisingly high. He apparently works at Honda, so he's kept it in good shape.

Really, I'm learning as I go. Gotta start somewhere
Old 11-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not buy
Old 11-27-2008, 05:26 AM

yeah, seriously. its the radiator and the O2 sensor now, but itll be more later. not because its a 20 yr old car, but because its a 20 year old car that's been turbo charged.

you should start somewhere, but start with a solid foundation. alot can be had in the $3000-$4000 range...
Old 11-27-2008, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, that is a bad choice if you don't know a good amount about cars. Turboing a 3rg gen involves a lot of custom work, and when cars are sold that have had a lot of custom stuff done there is a reason.

If you want this as a project car, then fine, but if you intend to start driving this thing every day I wouldn't expect that to work out very well.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkze_2.3
Turboing a 3rg gen involves a lot of custom work, and when cars are sold that have had a lot of custom stuff done there is a reason.
This is true, I had the same thought pattern when I was looking at this car. This guy was married recently and his wife hates the car and wants something more... road friendly? That looks like his only reason for selling, otherwise he doesn't want to give it away. I'm not sure if that means anything to you guys.

Originally Posted by pheurton-skeurto
but because its a 20 year old car that's been turbo charged.

you should start somewhere, but start with a solid foundation. alot can be had in the $3000-$4000 range...
I would just be better off buying a similar car that isn't turbo charged? Keep in mind my price range is 2000-4500 at the absolute most.

What would you recommend? Something good on gas is what I'm after, but not something you'd see your mom driving to work in the morning.

Thanks for the advice so far guys.

I've always liked the 3rd gen prelude's and accords, is there something on this prelude page you'd rather have me driving?

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/se...=5000&hasPic=1

Last edited by badwithcars; 11-27-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

4th gens are often let go for around 2000 in half decent shape. Buy that and sink the other 2500 into it perhaps. Unless your just set on a turbo charged car. In your experience would you be able to tell if the car is in good mechanical condition? If not take it to a reputable shop and get them to give you the 411 on it.
Old 11-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by mattsnooz
If not take it to a reputable shop and get them to give you the 411 on it.
This is what I'm gonna do and if there's some serious issues headed my direction with this car I'll forget it.

I don't need a turbo car, it could be anything. I just noticed the miles, the condition, his honesty, the price, it seemed like a good deal.

I'll find out by the end of the week if the car is hiding anything I need to know about.

I've got a couple of friends who are Honda junkies so I'm covered for mechanics if I actually get it.

4th gens are often let go for around 2000 in half decent shape. Buy that and sink the other 2500 into it perhaps.
Also a good idea. People are selling their 2nd and 3rd cars now for dirt cheap prices since the gas shot up so high. It might be lower now but who knows when the gas prices will launch again.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My recommendation, is to get a complete run down of what he has done and ask him for all paper work to the car and take a look at the dates of when he upgraded the parts.

I am a 3rd genner and I would jump all over that because to get the 3rd gen to that level of performance is a little pricey, so starting off with boosted 3rd gens is nice but you must have knowledge of that engine prior to owning it. With any car purchasing someone elses mods is risky, but if you knew what all 3rd gen owners knew then you probably would not mind getting it.

If you are not mechanically inclined and have the resources to maintain this car, then don't purchase it, but if you have the fortitued and perserverence to maintain and afford a performance base car then get this one.

As a daily driver an unboosted 3rd gen would suit your needs, but you will probably want more power later on once you own a 3rd gen. 3rd gens are very unique regardless of age. Once you own one you will thank me later, but for now lets focus on what is the best situation for your needs.

Here is a link to the best resource on the net for 3rd gen ludes: http://www.preludepower.com/forums/f...play.php?f=197

I am baised since I am the aftermarket project manager for this chassis, but no one who has ever owned a 3rd gen will tell you not to get one, the are the best handling Honda cars to date. Do some research on them and you find out what they have done when they first came out.

Sean
Old 11-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i wouldnt give him 2000 for it looks like its gonna fall apart find something better
Old 12-13-2008, 01:51 AM

Just so I'm not leaving you guys in the dark.

I took this car through a "142 point inspection test" and it was tested as ALMOST flawless. Expect for a few major issues. At least these were issues to me, so if anything the car experts would **** a brick and ignore this prelude completely.

Like I said, the radiator has a hole and the o2 sensor is snapped. I was aware of this, I didn't have much of an issue paying for a couple of small problems. What really set my mind away from buying this car was finding out he had purchased all of his after market parts through ebay and his turbo hasn't been tuned for the last 3000 miles. I mean, I'm BAD with cars, but this set some SERIOUS ABORT ABORT sirens in my head. I didn't know jack about a turbo charged car prior to taking interest in this one. I had to do some serious research into why and why not this car might have not been a good deal. When people say "do not buy", just don't even f'n say that and at least explain why you think it's not a good deal instead of your ridiuclous 3 word answer into why I shouldn't buy the car. Don't give me your one line answer. It doesn't help.

When somebody is new to cars, cut them some damn slack. I'm not a frigging idiot, I don't expect to be treated like one just because I never took an interest in cars sooner.

I thought this car would have been a good deal. Too bad I had no idea his turbo hasn't been tuned and his parts were all purchased off god knows where from ebay. Could have been some junker seller trying to get rid of his cheap labor parts. How a couple of you know this would fall apart sooner is beyond me.

My point is, I've passed on the car. I appreciate the responses and suggestions as to why I should not have bought this car. I'm glad I passed, but the simple one line answers never helped.

There's a local civic with a few modifications that ISN'T turbo charged with a better price tag that will suit my needs that I've decided to buy.

Realistically, I appreciate the help, but don't treat new guys like ***. "Do not buy", is hard to digest for someone who doesn't know a damn thing. Maybe I'll get my dream prelude in the future. Until then, thanks for the help. I'll be happy with a new car. An 85 mustang is just.... *****.

Absolute *****....

Until I buy my prelude, take it easy folks. May the roads be with you.

Really, I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn... some of you car epeens...

Last edited by badwithcars; 12-13-2008 at 02:52 AM.