Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Heavy rain,big puddle of water in rear floor o.O?, random rough idleing, now CEL

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heavy rain,big puddle of water in rear floor o.O?, random rough idleing, now CEL

1993 Prelude Vtec Model
140k Miles Completly Stock

Yesterday it was raining pretty damn hard in so cal, drove home from work everything was fine.. went up my driveway then i noticed a very rough idle like car was about to die, no check engine light, i drove it around the block and when stepping on gas pedal felt liek engine would sputter sometime.

This morning, had trouble starting the vehicle, somtime it felt liek it woudl start but just die right after i stop cranking. finally got it started with rough idle... then all of a suden idle went to normal, then i noticed theres a big puddle of water in the rear floor, like u can almost submerge your whole head underwater, i drove around to work and the puddle of water seemed to drain somewhere, rough idles came on and off, sometime it was fine, sometimes it got rough, then finally a CEL. i will get the CEL checked out after work, but hopefully can find a probable soultion because want this to be fixed today. CEL is solid and not flashing

And does any of this have anything to do with the big puddle of rain water in my rear floor? because i remember the fuel tank cover is somewhere on the bottom between the rear seats and the trunk on the 4th gen prelude.

Any help is appreciated thanks. (: **** heavy rain!

*UPDATES*

CEL went off , had trouble driving to mech's place, throttle would bop up and down randomly and car would jerk, then it drove normally... for the last 20 mins,

Mech checked it out and notice silicon in the idle adjusting vacuum....got a flat head and got all that **** out, idle normally for now.. but then again,, it did drive normally for the last 20mins i got there. Mech suspected maybe the big puddle of water got into the under body harness and created a short. Anyways, drove home and i noticed when i put my foot on throttle 1/4 down like for crusising, it will jerk like it will switch in between gassin and engine breaking. Went home and put the car in neutral and tested it, 1/4 throttle down the rpm would bop between 1-1.5 and wouldnt go over just go up and down.

I posted two vids. (turn up volume to hear!)

#1 Vid of trouble starting after getting off work, and motor rough idling and dying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqw1F0cFsQk

#2 Vid of 1/4 throttle in neutral and boppinb 1-1.5k rpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVCIzFVePKU

When it stops pouring like hell and the sun comes out, going to check the iacv and the fast idle.

Anyone any ideas?

12/22/2010 *UPDATES*
Tried starting the car up this morning, had trouble again, kinda felt like i had no fuel, but then after a few long cranks, it started. Drove to work, but felt like fuel still felt like it was being cut off for a few seconds at certain throttle about 1/4th way, but anything below or above it operates normally, and its not neccesarily every time but most of the time on the way to work, felt like it would struggle during about 1/4 throttle then it would jump back if i stepped on the throttle a little further.

Suspect fuel pump issues or no?

12/23/2010 *updates*

Installed fuel pump, drove home fine, started the car a few times felt fine. before we installed fuel pump noticed some gasoline smell in engine bay. Drove to work this morning, ran fine for a bit, then rpms started to jerk like fuel was being cut off, pulled over, put in neutral and held throttle, it would go up, go back down, to 1000, then go back up, it did this no mattter where i stepped on throttle, it would go up to the rpm i was revving at, then go back down, then go up, car is difficult to drive because of the enginge breaking every 1 second,

had to call tow company, and now being inspected,,,

12/23/2010 Updates part 2,

Mechanic checked it out, spark plugs were black, and they were only a month old, mechanic said it was running rich,, iacv, checking valves to see if too tight, maf, checked fuel pump, swapped out ecu, still running rich, Mechanic suspected the massive leak and tub of water, some how corroded some wires and creating a short to run rich.

Anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks

12/24/2010 Updates

dizzy cap and rotor seems fine.

Running temporary P28 Ecu B16 basemap for now, turns out my stock p13 ran like ****, car runs better, still has misfire, but is perfectly drivable. CEL for o2 sensor, so will get that changed,

weird thing, car still had a little bit trouble starting this morning, tried starting, started twice both died within momments, third time normal start and ran fine. Does an o2 sensor affect the way my car starts?

Will be getting a p13 or a chipped p28 h22 basemaps soon. and a o2 (:,

12/26/2010 UPDATES

Running a Chipped converted po6 to p28 ecu h22 basemaps with o2 disabled, starts and runs fine now. Guess it was a o2 problem afterall, will post if experience any more problems

Got Gas Today, car had trouble starting, started after about 3-4 trys, Main relay?

Last edited by jerryscherry; 12-27-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: UPdates 12/26/2010
Old 12-21-2010, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heavy rain,big puddle of water in rear floor o.O?, random rough idleing, now CEL

bump for updates
Old 12-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Heavy rain,big puddle of water in rear floor o.O?, random rough idleing, now CEL

xP
Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant help with the idle but I had similar problems with heavy rain in my backseat. The backseat behind the passenger would completely fill with water and some in the trunk after a heavy rain. In my case it was the drain tube that runs from the sunroof, it had been disconnected and the water was draining in my trunk instead of flowing out behind the qaurter panel. Maybe start with that.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Trial User

distributer cap or spark plug wires wet?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaowner82
I cant help with the idle but I had similar problems with heavy rain in my backseat. The backseat behind the passenger would completely fill with water and some in the trunk after a heavy rain. In my case it was the drain tube that runs from the sunroof, it had been disconnected and the water was draining in my trunk instead of flowing out behind the qaurter panel. Maybe start with that.

Thanks, where is the drain tube located exactly and how to access it? never had this problem before.

Thank you!

distrubutor and spark were dry yesterday, im suspecting a fuel pump, for the rough startup and symptoms of no fuel, will change that soon
Old 12-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jerryscherry
Thanks, where is the drain tube located exactly and how to access it? never had this problem before.

Thank you!

distrubutor and spark were dry yesterday, im suspecting a fuel pump, for the rough startup and symptoms of no fuel, will change that soon

I believe there are 2 drain tubes that run from the sunroof assembly. For me it was the one on the passenger side. It can be accessed from the trunk close to the stock location for the jack (this is where the tube connects to the outside drain that was causing my problems), you might have to remove the trunk lining in that area I cant remember. Also Im pretty sure I removed some interior parts so the whole drain tube was exposed and I could check it for holes. I think just the headliner and the plastic pillar need to be removed to view it in full. Lol im sorry Im not more help I did this a year or so ago and dont have a good memory. Hopefully this will fix your problem as it did mine, 20 mins and $0 later my water problem was gone. good luck
Old 12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hondaowner82
I believe there are 2 drain tubes that run from the sunroof assembly. For me it was the one on the passenger side. It can be accessed from the trunk close to the stock location for the jack (this is where the tube connects to the outside drain that was causing my problems), you might have to remove the trunk lining in that area I cant remember. Also Im pretty sure I removed some interior parts so the whole drain tube was exposed and I could check it for holes. I think just the headliner and the plastic pillar need to be removed to view it in full. Lol im sorry Im not more help I did this a year or so ago and dont have a good memory. Hopefully this will fix your problem as it did mine, 20 mins and $0 later my water problem was gone. good luck

Thank You i will look into this , i have the same exact symptoms as you, water where the spare tire is, and a bathtub under rear passenger carpet
Old 12-23-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for updated 12/23
Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

updated again
Old 12-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vacuum leak will cause idle bump. I'm currently working mine out as well. I replaced the IAC with zero change and FITV with minimal change. Now I have to FIND the leak...but its LOUD until the engine warms up then it goes away and the idle bounce comes in the leaks place.

I ALSO had my car FLOOD. it destroyed my leather seats and soaked my daughters butt when she sat down that morning to go to school. I came out one morning after all that and ALL 4 floor sections were flooded. Shop Vac for the win. No real problems after that but now I need new seats. Thanks for the drain tube info. Will get working on that soon.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by WifesVTEC
Vacuum leak will cause idle bump. I'm currently working mine out as well. I replaced the IAC with zero change and FITV with minimal change. Now I have to FIND the leak...but its LOUD until the engine warms up then it goes away and the idle bounce comes in the leaks place.

I ALSO had my car FLOOD. it destroyed my leather seats and soaked my daughters butt when she sat down that morning to go to school. I came out one morning after all that and ALL 4 floor sections were flooded. Shop Vac for the win. No real problems after that but now I need new seats. Thanks for the drain tube info. Will get working on that soon.
no vacuum leaks just misfires now, btw anyone know if i run a p28 h22 basemaps with disabled o2 sensor would that affect anything?
Old 12-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 12-26-2010, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

problem resolved for now. running chipped ecu h22 basemaps with o2 disabled
Old 12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

car has trouble after filling up on gas... Main RElay o.O?