Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent]

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent]

I can't seem to figure this out, originally I thought my low-beam bulbs were just dead because I was getting no low-beam output at all and while the high beams were just fine except one(ds) that is GREATLY brighter then the other(ps).

I bought new low-beam bulbs for my jdm headlights (h4) and installed them today. Still not output to the low-beams when I try to switch to the low beams on the switch. When I switch to high-beams all my lights work but one of the high beams are dim and the other is bright as hell.

Anyone know what it could be, obviously not a fuse problem so please don't suggest that. I thought it would be my lighting relay but I switched it out with my abs to test it and it worked just fine. All I can think of now is that maybe the high beam bulb that is dim is actually dead or dying and causes the low beams not to work at all when selected to low beam?

i've read somewhere about h4 and h1 bulbs that if one is out it can cause the whole lighting system to not work properly but I am not too sure.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent] (GraphiteMW)

i say check your wiring to ur pig tails that connect to ur headlights i had the same problem or just get a volt meter and check to see if theres any electricity passing throught those wires
Old 06-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent] (GraphiteMW)

are u sayign that when u turn ur highbeams on the low beams come on too?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent] (fastrider213

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spoonfedcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are u sayign that when u turn ur highbeams on the low beams come on too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, when I switch it to low-beam nothing happens just my parking lights, tail lights and rear parking lights come on but not my low beams. Then when I switch it to high-beam the low-beam magically works like normal and one high-beam light is WAY brighter then the other

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastrider213 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i say check your wiring to ur pig tails that connect to ur headlights i had the same problem or just get a volt meter and check to see if theres any electricity passing throught those wires</TD></TR></TABLE>

What did you do to solve the problem? I've checked the pigtails to the headlights and they were fine, my low-beams have always worked till just recently when this problem occurs. There has to be power running to them if they still work when the high-beam switch is activated and they turn on just fine, right?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow...thats def a wierd problem. when did this start? were you doing any work to the car before it happened or did it just randomly start?
Old 06-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (91lude4ws)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 91lude4ws &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow...thats def a wierd problem. when did this start? were you doing any work to the car before it happened or did it just randomly start?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, it's a confusing problem. I can't seem to pin point whats wrong. It's horrible limits my night driving to almost zero, I just got back late and forgot about my low-beams so i had to drive in the night with my brights. I was not doing any work before it happened, it randomly started. One night I was going to leave my house to go back home and my low-beams wouldn't work, so i inspected it and switched it to brights and noticed that both low beams were out so i planned to replace it but obviously it didn't help.
Old 06-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe ur light switch on the steering column has gone bad.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent] (h23siaws)

Any way of testing the light switch on the column without pulling it off?
Old 06-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My dad's 01 Civic had the same problem! The problem was a faulty switch, it is a recall item. Took it back to the dealer and they fixed it free. It happened twice
Old 06-26-2008, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Headlight woes, low-beams not working but when hi-beams are on they work. [urgent] (MileHigh)

Yeah I am thinking it's the switch as well because my wiring is just fine and all the fuses are great. Not to mention the lighting relay is working because all of my lights work. I might end up taking it to the shop to get it replaced if I don't have enough time to replace it. I am also taking more suggestions on what could be wrong because it might not be the switch at all.