Notices
Honda Prelude All Model Preludes

4th Gen door speakers...tweeter/crossover wiring help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th Gen door speakers...tweeter/crossover wiring help

Soon I will be installing components in the front, after I decided which to get....probably infinity kappa of some sort.

2 questions...for new tweeters can i use the wiring that is already there for the stock tweaters, do they lead to inside the door panel?? I was thinking it maybe tricky getting wiring from there to inside the door panel, (depending where the crossovers are)

secondly, where is the best place to mount the crossovers, out of sight? In my previous car - civic, I had them inside the door panel. Is there space for this in prelude?

cheers
Old 11-24-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there is space in the door panels. i mounted my window module in there for my alarm, right below the window buttons.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (inn0vated)

If you get the Kappa References (not the Kappa perfects), the crossovers are thin enough to mount under the driver's seat. Just screw them into the carpet.

Wiring is a little trickier. Routing it up to the tweeters is easy - you just drop a wire into the dash and pull it through underneath. Be careful with the little wires that are soldered onto the tweeter leads, they break off easily. Routing wire to the woofers through the door jamb is a pain in the ***.

I wouldn't recommend using the stock wiring for the tweeter because it has an inline capacitor to block bass frequencies, and I don't know if it blocks a higher frequency than the Infinity crossover point. If that makes sense.

Edit: If you put the crossovers in the doors, you'll have to route two sets of wires through the door jamb: one to the amp and one to the tweeters. Plus you're risking exposing them to rain water. I wouldn't do it.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:20 PM
RAK

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 4th Gen door speakers...tweeter/crossover wiring help (pez1)

In my 4th gen, i mounted the two crossovers inside the rear glove box. I then used the stock wiring for the speaker in the door, lengthened it with speaker wire and ran it to the crossover. Then I ran speaker wire from the tweeter to the crossover. Finally, I ran speaker wire from the crossover to the head unit. It may seem like a lot of work to run all that wire, but for one, it is the only practical place to put the crossovers and two, you won't have to run speaker wire into the door. It is a HUGE pain in the ***. Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:26 AM

Default Re: 4th Gen door speakers...tweeter/crossover wiring help (RAK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RAK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In my 4th gen, i mounted the two crossovers inside the rear glove box. I then used the stock wiring for the speaker in the door, lengthened it with speaker wire and ran it to the crossover. Then I ran speaker wire from the tweeter to the crossover. Finally, I ran speaker wire from the crossover to the head unit. It may seem like a lot of work to run all that wire, but for one, it is the only practical place to put the crossovers and two, you won't have to run speaker wire into the door. It is a HUGE pain in the ***. Hope this helps.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks! i see...so lemme get this straight, by rear glove box you mean the compartment in center console?? u make a cut in wire between head unit & door speaker. Continue the door speaker wire to the crossover, Tweeter to crossover. Then wire from crossover to headunit and solder at the point I previously cut?

sounds like a good way to avoid feeding wire into door, jst lemme kno wht the rear glove box is, cheers

Old 11-25-2005, 01:46 AM

Passing wire through the door is a PITA but it's manageable, and the crossovers fit very nicely behind the door panels The only wire i had to feed through the door was the tweeter wire. I had to drill a small hole in the bottom front corner of the door to pass the wire through it, then i could route it up to the tweeters location.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:35 PM
M@

Default Re: (LudemanDan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LudemanDan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
...I wouldn't recommend using the stock wiring for the tweeter because it has an inline capacitor to block bass frequencies...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking the capacitor was connected to the tweeter. Either way you need an amp if you really expect a big improvemet over the oem speakers. If you use an amp you should replace all the wiring. Keep that in mind if you are going to use the headunit to power the components for now.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (M@)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by M@ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was thinking the capacitor was connected to the tweeter. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Okay, true, correction noted.

And yes, if you're after good sound, give it some power.

Dan
Old 11-25-2005, 07:11 PM
RAK

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I did mean rear console and yes, you have it right. All you have to do is drill a small hole in the bottom of the console and run the wires to the left of the shifter and ebrake. It makes for a clean install.