Notices
Honda Motorcycles Honda Powersports: riding, maintenance, gear, and safety.

Superbike School - Level 3 Writeup

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Superbike School - Level 3 Writeup

I finally had a chance to get my thoughts together and write this. Sorry for the long text. Pictures will come when I receive them.

California Superbike School Level 3

This March marked my third annual trip to Willow Springs International Motorsports Park to attend Keith Code’s Superbike School. I was put on a waiting list for June but a spot opened up for March using the school’s excellent 2007 Kawasaki ZX-6R so I went ahead and took it.

For you regulars, you’re not going to recognize the garage as they’ve gone and tiled it and made it look all fancy. I liked the old look better but I guess this will work too. Keith kicks off the day with his staff introductions and then we split off into different groups. On this day, there are 11 riders in level 3.

Drill #1: Hook Turns
Our first “class” was outside on the paddock area in the freezing wind (it was 45° at 8am). Here the instructor showed us how important it was to lock in onto the bike and get ourselves stable on the machine in order to control it. We each had a turn to get onto the static bike and show our best riding position. While seated on the bike, the coach helped us make adjustments and what not. After we worked on our riding position, we learned to adjust our upper body position down and inward on the bike which transfer’s weight onto the front wheel and tightening/holding a line.

On the track, I was able to use this skill in turns 2 and 3 as well as the slow turns 12/13/14 complex.

Drill #2: Power Steering
This drill takes body positioning and “locking” onto the bike to another level. In the class segment, we sat on a stationary bike while Keith’s son Dylan had us each mount the bike in the riding position and push on the bar while he resisted the motion of the front wheel. He then had us take the opposite foot off the peg and then try to exert the same amount of force to the bars. Doing so was difficult if not impossible. Here’s where I started to realize what I needed to do with my lower body while riding.

On the track, my lap times dropped from the 2:10’s to the mid 1:58’s with a low of 1:53 on the 7th lap. By combining the hook turn and this new-to-me body position, I finally went through turn 3 feeling “right” for the first time. This is also the first time I truly experienced real lean angle. The funny thing is that I hardly had any pressure on the bars and my body was relaxed. The feeling was magical.

It was early in this session that I my right toe-slider hit the deck in the middle of turn 8 which startled me. From that point on, I stopped moving my inside foot out on the peg and kept it close.

Drill #3: Knee to Knee

As I said earlier, I never quite knew what I was supposed to be doing with my lower body while riding. I knew I was supposed to use my knees to lock onto the bike but I never moved side-to-side much. This drill taught us to how to move side to side on the bike while maintaining the most contact with the bike. After being shown what to do, this became natural to me but to some of the guys in the class, it did not. A few of the guys kept moving their knees off of the tank almost simultaneously. During the transition period, they didn’t have any contact with the tank at all. How were they holding on? Well, it turns out that they were using their arms to pull themselves across. Dylan Code had them sit upright with their arms crossed and for them to try and move side to side with their legs. I thought that this was an excellent example of the experienced coaching that the Codes have developed. They had seen this problem often enough to be able to spot it and fix it.

Putting this technique to good use, I blazed (for me) through the transitions of turns 4/5/6/7. My lap times were now consistently 1:55 with a low of 1:52 on the 3rd lap. Traffic was killing me this session as I started from the back and got stuck behind a couple of very slow riders. It’s funny that I should mention slow riders because I consider myself one and always will. In my first two trips to CSBS, I hardly ever passed anyone on the track. This time, I passed a few people going into turn 7, on the outside and inside of turn 8, and at the exit of turn 14.

Drill #4: Hip Flick

This drill or technique is an expansion of Knee to Knee taught in Drill 3. The hip flick uses your inner thigh to pull your body from side to side in one smooth motion rather than the stop action movement of the knee to knee.

I always thought that the slight wiggle when transitioning was “a part of the game” as did most of my classmates. As it turns out, using the hip flick, we got over to the other side of the bike faster and more efficiently than ever before. Using the Hook Turn, the power steering, and the hip flick, I posted some of the fastest times of the session with a string of 1:52, 1:50, 1:51, and 1:54 laps. I nailed turn 14 a couple of times during this session and got a terrific drive into turn 1, managing to get the Ninja’s nose light shifting to 2nd and 3rd. It was awesome!

Drill #5: Attack

At this point, I was pretty physically and mentally fatigued. Our last classroom session dealt with the attack drill meaning knowing the correct attack angle through a corner. We’ve all blown a corner entry which results in the rest of the following corners to be out of sync. The attack drill is very similar (to me) to the Turn-in point drill taught in level 1. The wider the line, the greater the speed and smoother the corner will become. Keith wanted us to go out and blow a few corners and then come back the next lap and try it with different attack angles. While not necessarily a street technique, I can see how this will come in handy on those track-days.

On track, I posted a string of 1:51, 1:53, 1:52, 1:50 (fastest lap for me of the day), and 1:51.

Off track, we were pulled off to the side where we each got to see a video of us on the track while one of the instructors followed. What a terrific learning tool!

By the end of the day I had a Zen moment – I was finally riding well and quick enough to evaluate my own riding skills and identify some deficiencies whereas I was never able to do that before because so many things were wrong. I was able to string together some decent laps, and felt stable and balanced in the corners enough to know what it’s supposed to feel like when I get it right and when I don’t.

So what do I need to work on?
1) Stability on the brakes, especially downhill. I know I’m giving up a lot of speed going into the downhill turn 3 because I’m on the brakes too early and for too long. Part of this is that I don’t feel stable enough. I think I need to get onto the left side of the bike sooner and spot my apex a bit earlier.
2) Similar to the first thing, I need to spot my turn in points and apex for turn 14 a lot sooner. I’m giving up a lot of time in that corner and was only able to nail it twice throughout the day. When I did, the drive to turn 1 was exhilarating.

Will I go back? Definitely! I’m on the waiting list for this summer to go back and attend level 4. The faster I go, the more leaned over, the more I realize that I need to go back to relearn some of the basics. As Keith put it, to build a taller building, one has to expand the foundation.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Superbike School - Level 3 Writeup (Jasper_db1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Will I go back? Definitely! I’m on the waiting list for this summer to go back and attend level 4. The faster I go, the more leaned over, the more I realize that I need to go back to relearn some of the basics. As Keith put it, to build a taller building, one has to expand the foundation.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's almost strange that what I said at the end of my post is reflected by what Keith says at the back of the Level 3 pamphlet.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Keith Code &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The techniques you have gone over today are geared for aggressive riding. Know from experience that putting them all together isn't easy. One thing you might have noticed is that the basics often start to slip away while you experiment with your body stability, and these techniques, on the bike. Guess what Level 4 is all about? Right, putting it all together. We pickup the loose ends of your riding and forge them into a more integrated and relaxed series of actions.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keith

Next year I want to go to Fast Freddie Spencer's school in Nevada
Old 04-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post pretty much dealt the last card.
I MUST go to Keith Code's Superbike school now. Its no longer an option.
I've been fiddling with the idea of going for quite some time now but I'm definately going to sign up for Level 1 some time for this summer.

I take it you recommend renting his bikes rather than bringing your own?
Old 04-08-2008, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Superbike School - Level 3 Writeup (knockout)

For levels 1 and 2, I doesn't even matter. I would have loved to ride the RC51 for this level but I'm almost used to riding his Ninjas at the track now that it's really second nature to me.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:56 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

Sick man, can't wait till I can actually turn and shiz so I can go take level 1

Gonna be trashing on a ninja 500 out there
Old 04-08-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a picture of me in turn 2 at level 1 on April 29, 2006

I'll post a picture of me in the same corner at level 2 tomorrow.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:15 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

oh yeah what config do they run?
Old 04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Superbike School - Level 3 Writeup (ucb)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ucb &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sick man, can't wait till I can actually turn and shiz so I can go take level 1

Gonna be trashing on a ninja 500 out there </TD></TR></TABLE>

Level 1 is all about steering the bike. I had 6 months riding experience in the picture above ^. There was a guy in my level 3 class riding the new 2008 Ninja 250
Old 04-08-2008, 05:18 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

So for level one, would you recommend their bike or your own?

Edit: They have dates in oct/nov at both Sears and Laguna

Gonna try to make it!

Modified by ucb at 6:36 PM 4/8/2008
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That knee-to-knee and hip-flick sound mighty interesting to me! I don't remember reading about those in ToTW 1 or 2.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 AM
My Name is Nobody

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (marmaladedad)

I use the hip wattle, great write up as usually duy...

Turn Nine awaits you... NOM NOM
Old 04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i take it you guys were riding the standard config at streets?

i've been meaning to do a school this year, whether it's Cal Superbike or the Jason Pridemore school.

I know exactly what you're talking about about braking into 3...
Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

Yes, the standard configuration with 12/13/14 intact. I guess there is a new race format which uses the skid pad instead of those turns.

The repaved 3-6 section is smoooooooooooth! I wouldn't be surprised if the lap record fell this year.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jasper_db1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes, the standard configuration with 12/13/14 intact. I guess there is a new race format which uses the skid pad instead of those turns.

The repaved 3-6 section is smoooooooooooth! I wouldn't be surprised if the lap record fell this year.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the repaved section is beautiful. my gimpy arm keeps me from making the most of it through three, but 4 (a turn i used to HATE) is now a lot of fun. the new asphalt feels like butter on your pucks.

from what i heard from a friend racing in the streets series is that Tigert and another guy both went faster than the lap record (which i think was a 1:17.3?) into the 1:16's this past weekend.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bad-monkey)

I soooooooooo want to go there, probably level one, but still, sound like you had a great time and great improvement.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blindstuff)

I would love to have something similar in here. You don't know how lucky you guys are.

I would like to see if I could manage someday a trip exclusively for that.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Starscream)

There was a guy in my class who came all the way from Taiwan to take level 2 and 3 (Saturday and Sunday). It makes sense to take back-to-back days because of the traveling involved for him but I certainly would not recommend it for the locals.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a picture sequence of me in level 1, 2, and 3 in turn 14. It's the slowest corner of the track but it's the only corner where I have pictures from all three levels.

Level 1: (I just noticed that this is turn 2)

Level 2:

Level 3:

Modified by Jasper_db1 at 5:37 PM 4/16/2008
Old 04-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jasper_db1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
There was a guy in my level 3 class riding the new 2008 Ninja 250 </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a fun school.

How did the guy do on the new 250?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Level 2:
Hips turned in and my upper body is up over the tank.

Level 3:
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Superbike School - Level 3 Writeup (96 SOHC VTEC)

shitty. Like I said, it didn't even look like fun.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:55 AM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

they supply you with leathers too?
Old 04-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ucb)

Leathers, bike, gear are options which you can rent from the school. These are mine.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:43 PM
ucb
Honda-Tech Member

lol baller, every pic is a different lid and set of leathers