Notices
Honda Fit Honda Fit (Jazz)

Transmission Fluid Change - Jazz manual g/b

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Change - Jazz manual g/b

My Jazz is approaching 200,000km and I want to change the transmission fluid but I'm not sure how to ensure that I drain ALL the fluid, and how/where to check the level when filling up.

Can anybody help?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Transmission Fluid Change - Jazz manual g/b

Got to the drivers side and if you take off the wheel and look into the engine bay you can see the plugs. There is a space behind the suspension where you look in and remove the top plug first.

Then remove the bottom plug to drain. When the last of the fluid drains out BE SURE TO PUT THE DRAIN PLUG BACK IN PLACE.

Refilling is troublesome just a bit the first time.

What you need is a length of hose with a diameter that will fit into the top hole. You take the hose that is about 3 feet long and put it in behind the airbox and drops down near the hole.

You also need a small funnel that will fit into the hose. Get 2 liters of Honda trans fluid and a buddy to help you out.

Once the hose is hanging in the engine bay the guy on the floor takes the end and puts it into the transmission hole and holds it there.

The guy on top opens the fluid and pours it into the funnel leading into the hose slowly at first so the funnel doesn't get too full.

Do this until you get near the bottom half of the second liter. About that time the guy on the floor should see excess fluid starting to drip out the filler hole ( have a pan or something to catch the runoff).

He quickly tells the guy poring to STOP.

Put the top plug back in and wipe off any excess and done.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a hand plunger pump that I screw on to to the top of a 1 QT oil container because that's the only size I could find, fill the oil bottle with Honda MTF and attach a 3' length of hose to the spout. I tape that to a stick and then use that to get the end into the MT filler hole. Then I pump until it begins to overflow. A one-person job that way.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So good to see you back how many miles in the cold up there on your Fit now.
Old 02-10-2014, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Gents!

I was a bit unsure regarding the amount of MTS and am relieved to hear that the 1.6L (about) that I put in was about right. I taped a small funnel to a length of clear pvc tube, and a strip of closed cell foam (draught excluder) to the other end. I wiggled the foam seal into the filler hole and then filled via the funnel, checking the level regularly. When I saw fluid rising in the tube I quickly removed the tube and screwed the plug into place.

My biggest concern was the amount of fluid but it seems I did the right thing. My little Jazz has done 196,600 km, does not use a drop of oil and is still running on the orignal spark plugs. I am planning to replace the plugs and have the valve clearances set in the next month or so.

Great little car!
Old 02-10-2014, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice trick with the foam seal makes it a one man job. But you should take the seal out and let any excess drain before putting the plug back in. That is the correct level just slowly dribbling out the fill hole level with the bottom of the fill hole.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey there Marine, I got 120K on the GD3 and she has been running flawlessly since my 67K tune-up inspired by 02 sensor failures. So this summer I plan to do mostly the same, replace the 02 sensors with my favorite brand, Denso, adjust the valves, new Denso Iridium plugs, PCV valve, evaporative system filter. This time I may not replace the battery, serp belt and have the alternator rebuilt as I got the same number of miles accrued in a year less. I drove in late August from Fairbanks to Seattle, then over to St. Paul, Detroit and Milwaukee, fully loaded it with stuff from my dad's estate (roof rack and Rocket Box full also), picked up my wife and we drove home via the Black Hills, Glacier NP and Canadian Rockies. I beat the hell out of the Fit as usual, lots of time revved up and foot to the floor up long inclines, and as usual she responded like a Honda, didn't skip a beat. I have never had an overall better 4-wheel buddy in my life, and I'm 62... Always a pleasure, Claymore.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good report youngster LOL. They have turned out to be very reliable little cars that hold lots of stuff. But I think Honda should change their manuals to include a valve adjustment at like 50,000 miles or so.