Notices

Starter probz

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starter probz

Some background: i have a gsr motor in my crx, my battery is located in my trunk. I'm using 4 gauge wire with 150amp hooked up.

So my starter has been clicking for a while and when i bought the rebuild kit even with the plunger, It still kept clicking. Bought a new starter and it still clicks when i try to start it. So could that mean my battery sucks? I have a Deka ETX16 Battery and i've only had it for a year. I'm getting really tired of my car not starting right away. The clicking is random. I've noticed most morning it will start up instantly, then when i drive for a while and stop, it will take some clicks until it finally starts.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Starter probz

You are definitely looking in the right direction by thinking it is the battery.
Clicking happens when there is not enough voltage getting to the starter.

Go to your local parts store and get them to test the batery for you.
***Or test it yourself if you have a voltmeter/multimeter.
If you have less then 9.5 Volts across the battery when cranking the engine over, it is a sign that you battery is on its way out.

Not sure what you mean when you say you have "150amp hooked up". Are you referring to your alternator or do you mean a 150 Watt Amplifier?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boibuddha
You are definitely looking in the right direction by thinking it is the battery.
Clicking happens when there is not enough voltage getting to the starter.

Go to your local parts store and get them to test the batery for you.
***Or test it yourself if you have a voltmeter/multimeter.
If you have less then 9.5 Volts across the battery when cranking the engine over, it is a sign that you battery is on its way out.

Not sure what you mean when you say you have "150amp hooked up". Are you referring to your alternator or do you mean a 150 Watt Amplifier?
I've tested it myself and the voltage does not reach 9.5V. Lowest was 11V. I've put in a new battery borrowed from a friend, but there is a delay in starting. I'll hear a click, then 1/2 a sec later, it will crank. My ground that is connected to my battery was a little corroded, but not that bad. Cleaned it up but still the same.

And sorry, I meant an inline fuse. It's actually a 100amp maxi inline fuse.

I checked grounds and looked at some connections for corrosion, but i didn't find any. Should i be using a thicker gauge power wire?
Old 09-09-2015, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Off hand, 4 gauge wire seems small to me. I've read 0 gauge when looking at battery relocations. I have a battery relocated to the trunk in my CRX and I plan on moving it back to the engine bay. I'm not a fan.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Freemananana
Off hand, 4 gauge wire seems small to me. I've read 0 gauge when looking at battery relocations. I have a battery relocated to the trunk in my CRX and I plan on moving it back to the engine bay. I'm not a fan.
I've also read go 1/0 gauge, but i've read that 2 and 4 gauge works as well. 4 gauge being the minimum. If i can't find a solution, I'm probably going to put the battery back to the engine bay as well and see if that solves the issue.

What gauge are you running? And do you have any problems with yours?