Notices

revs jumping up and down before downshift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revs jumping up and down before downshift?

i've got a 1989 crx, automatic, with 308k miles. i'm sure that would be the answer to my question right there, but i'm curious as to specifically what the problem is. the car runs [relatively] fine for 308k other than this one problem that stands out to me.

whenever i'm above like 30mph or so and i start coasting for any reason (either just to coast, or when i'm coming up to a stop before hitting the brake), the engine will start the downrev, but then when it gets to a certain point, say 1500rpm, it will jump back up to 1750rpm. it will continue to do this jumping back and forth to the two rev points until it either finally downshifts, or if i hit the brake. i never have this problem when i'm actually braking, only when i'm coasting. any advice is much appreciated, and thanks in advance. <3
Old 02-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: revs jumping up and down before downshift?

Dirty iacv?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KINGVEM^^ED6
Dirty iacv?
thanks for the response. i guess it might help if i was fluent in all the terminology; would coasting at around 30mph be considered "idling" and thus have to do with the idle speed and iac valve?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ained-967.html

i also wouldn't know if my problem would fall under "23.7.2 Engine RPM 'Dips' When a Load Event Occurs", or "23.7.4 Idle 'Fluctuates' Wildly", or both.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you hit the gas during this fluctuation, does the car jerk into gear or just jerk in general or just goes smoothly?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90civic-ZC
If you hit the gas during this fluctuation, does the car jerk into gear or just jerk in general or just goes smoothly?
i haven't really noticed it jerking in any way, except maybe when it downshifts from 2nd to 1st it feels like i hit the brake a little.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Just sounds like your transmission is old and tired to me... It's probably either hanging up on the downshifts or is locking and unlocking the Torque Converter. The 1-2 shifts on Honda transmissions are notoriously bad. Have you checked your fluid and such lately?

I would lean towards the TCC as you say it stops when you hit the brakes. When you apply the brakes it disengages the Torque Converter Lock-Up.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
Just sounds like your transmission is old and tired to me... It's probably either hanging up on the downshifts or is locking and unlocking the Torque Converter. The 1-2 shifts on Honda transmissions are notoriously bad. Have you checked your fluid and such lately?

I would lean towards the TCC as you say it stops when you hit the brakes. When you apply the brakes it disengages the Torque Converter Lock-Up.
i did check the trans fluid, but i didn't really know how to read the stick since it didn't match the one described in the book, had no obvious [to me] "full/add" marks. i guess it wouldn't hurt to change it anyway though.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure he was just refering to changing it.....you'll be surprised how much of a difference fresh tranny fluid makes. And if you were getting low, you'd be having more major problems...
Old 02-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 90civic-ZC
Yeah I'm pretty sure he was just refering to changing it.....you'll be surprised how much of a difference fresh tranny fluid makes. And if you were getting low, you'd be having more major problems...
haha, i've never changed the atf before i guess i'll take a crack at it and see if it makes any difference. thanks for the answers so far