Notices

Question between USDM and JDM Transmission Gear Ratio's for a B16A

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question between USDM and JDM Transmission Gear Ratio's for a B16A

Howdy,

I looked up a bunch of articles between the two and wasn't really satisfied, or rather concluded.

Right now I have a JDM B16A First Generation PR3 Engine with a S1 Transaxle (Transmission)

When I first bought the car, it was nice. I only thought due to driving an automatic for a long while that when I shifted to 4th, once in awhile it would not go in, or kick back into nuetral or grind.

Its been a year since I had the car now, and the 4th position is completely gone. ONLY on 4th gear, does it kickback or grind.

So now heres the questions. I know for fact its either the 3rd/4th Synchronizer, the 4th Gear(s) itself, or the Shift Fork. But most likely the synchro and gear if anything.

Would it be cheaper to replace the 4th gears/synchro? Or should I buy a complete new transmission?

The second question is, I see that theres big differences on teeth and gear ratios between USDM and JDM tranny gears. I like the S1 Tranny. But a friend of mine wants to sell me a transmission off a USDM engine, which I need to identify, I believe he said it was from a 99 civic si (b16). I do wanna stay in the performance side gear ratio. Anyone know the transmissions pretty well?

The third Question is, if I were to replace the 4th gear/synchro, where would I buy JDM S1 gear/synchro's? Or if I were to just buy a complete new JDM tranny and the USDM ones are unsatisfying, where would I buy another JDM S1 Tranny with no grinds, can be used, but nothing wrong with it safely and trustworthy? Or should I buy the one off my friend?

Sorry for the long essay, hope you guys can help me.

Any help is gladly appreciated!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Question between USDM and JDM Transmission Gear Ratio's for a B16A (RanCRX)

The jdm S1 tranny is a small spline style b series cable tranny much like the 1990-91 Integra gearbox, but, parts are not interchangable. In fact, you can't get parts for the S1 at your local acura dealer. Gearspeed does make a upgraded set syncro's for that tranny of interested.

If you are to buy a new tranny, go for a jdm or usdm YS1. They come in both long and short geared versions, the short one has the same gear ratio's as late model ITR's. Also, all parts can be had from the dealer if ever needed
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So say if I were to swap a YS1 tranny to replace my S1, would I have to change the clutch assembly and etc?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:04 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (RanCRX)

^^^ Only the disk. In the center where the opening is, it would be larger for the bigger mainshaft.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool man, thanks a ton for your help for sure. So I suppose that means I can still keep the same flywheel and etc?