Notices

power door locks in crx

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default power door locks in crx

ok, so here is my dilemma. i had an alarm installed about 2 weeks ago, and i was going to install actuators for the door locks so i can switch to keyless door handles, but i ran into a problem. for some reason i am having trouble with clearence issues with the rod that connects from the actuator to the door locks. so i followed the picture in "SH!FTS: DIY KEYLESS DOOR HANDLES" and still the same issue. when i take off the rod the actuator works like its supposed to, so i have concluded that the rod isnt connecting right. so i was going to go with oem sedan ones instead.

i read the write up on VAN WESS' page, but i wanted to know if i can wire up the oem actuators to my alarm? this would eliminate me needing to use the oem power door lock relay. has anyone done this before? i will be heading out the junkyard next weekend to get some oem ones if this is possible. thanks for any help guys.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: power door locks in crx

so you're saying that you haven't even got the door panel back on and the actuator is incapable of moving the lock/unlock rod? how are you powering the actuator to test it? if this is the driverside you are testing, are you pulling on the door handle so that the lock mechanism is actually free to move?

as far as wiring the actuators i put together multiple diagrams for how to do so

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/how-install-2-wire-door-lock-actuators-your-88-91-civic-crx-writeup-2554212/
Old 10-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i started with the passenger side, since it already has a key less door handle. i have a viper responder alarm system. my old one was a viper as well, and those are set up for cars with out power door locks, just connect the actuators to the green and blue wires and your good to go. i have had alarm shops show me what kind of actuators they use and they are the same ebay ones that a person can buy for about 5/each and they charge you 50 for them. so ive done these actuators before, but with my crx i have less clearance than you apparently. and my oem rods seem to overlap each other near the opening above the seat belts.

this why i am asking if i am able to just bypass the whole power door lock relay and just connect the oem powe door lock latch on my crx?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si-r
just connect the actuators to the green and blue wires and your good to go.
thats your problem right there. the alarm doesn't output enough juice on its own. you have to run it through a relay.

either get the dei 451m door lock relay or just use 2 5-wire relays like so

Old 10-02-2009, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
thats your problem right there. the alarm doesn't output enough juice on its own. you have to run it through a relay.

either get the dei 451m door lock relay or just use 2 5-wire relays like so

that's what i did ^

just curious, can you post a pic of where you are hooking up the actuator rod to your door locks and where you have your actuator chilling?

i can post some pix tomorrow of how i have mine set up since i'm pulling my door panels off anyways
Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks DCRB. well here is what my set up looks like.

minus the other 2 actuators. i have used this before but just by connecting the actuators. i cut off the wires for the actuators since i thought i didnt need them. looks like im going to have to re-solder some wires back. should this solve my problem?
Attached Images  
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ha, just looked at my old alarm and found that DEI 451M relay. now how do i hook this into my alarm!
Old 10-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what i mean is, is there a specific slot i wire this relay into? i see the connector, but its unplugged from the brain at the moment.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DUH, i just looked at the bottom of the brain from my old alarm and it says "3 pin door lock port" i felt like a newbie just then.

im guessing from your diagram D16, that i just connect the green and blue wires coming off the relay straight to the actuators? also the box on my actuator kit comes with another "little box" do i need to connect that as well or just he 451M relay from my old alarm?
Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whatever extra relay the kit came with you don't need it. Just hook your actuators up to the green and blue wire coming out of the dei relay.

DCRB: this is how mine is set up

Old 10-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well tomorrow afternoon i will plug this relay in and try i out, hopefully this solves the problem
Old 10-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...or+power+locks

look at my post in the thread i used 4 door civic power locks. i didnt put any switches in this way no relay
Old 10-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, so i mounted my actuators but still have to do the wiring to the relays. here is how i mounted them...

and next i will be ordering some relays and then after they come in i will wire them up. ill keep everyone posted.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys have the right idea, but i think bending the rod at all angles makes it weaker. you'll realize more power from that actuator if it's in-line with the lock rod movement.
i don't have a pic of mine, but i photoshopped one of yours to show you how i did it:
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This looks like a fun project I have not considered before. WHere did you find that kit if you don't mind me asking? Also, why not use some existing honda actuators/setups from some older civics. I admit, I haven't searched for any of the info yet.

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by radex7
This looks like a fun project I have not considered before. WHere did you find that kit if you don't mind me asking? Also, why not use some existing honda actuators/setups from some older civics. I admit, I haven't searched for any of the info yet.

Good luck!
you want the truth? i got my actuators from the junk yard, relays from my local knecht's, and the alarm out of a parts car. I was told the alarm hadn't worked since the car had been stolen, however i pulled the harness all apart, hooked everything up and what do you know it all worked just fine! wires had been cut from the thieves braking into the car and snip sniping them.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCRB
you want the truth? i got my actuators from the junk yard, relays from my local knecht's, and the alarm out of a parts car. I was told the alarm hadn't worked since the car had been stolen, however i pulled the harness all apart, hooked everything up and what do you know it all worked just fine! wires had been cut from the thieves braking into the car and snip sniping them.
Wow i throw up on how you both hooked up you actuators.

Wow bent rods, not inline with the oem rods, zip ties holding them in wtf!

I will get a pic of how i installed mine then you can use it as a diagram.

Also ebay actuators ftw! i get all 4 for 6$.
Old 01-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

crx's with power locks. thats bad ***!
Old 01-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by traxxasx
Wow i throw up on how you both hooked up you actuators.

Wow bent rods, not inline with the oem rods, zip ties holding them in wtf!

I will get a pic of how i installed mine then you can use it as a diagram.

Also ebay actuators ftw! i get all 4 for 6$.
you throw up how i hooked up my actuators?? how? i didn't know one could literally barf on an idea mine are hooked up in line with the rods. wiring is all correct, with relays properly hooked up. i've never had a problem with them not working. i didn't think there was a specific right or wrong to installing actuators
Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DCRB
you throw up how i hooked up my actuators?? how? i didn't know one could literally barf on an idea mine are hooked up in line with the rods. wiring is all correct, with relays properly hooked up. i've never had a problem with them not working. i didn't think there was a specific right or wrong to installing actuators
Did not see a pic of ur set up so its not directed to you. I was talking about the two pics above where one rode is bent to hell like a roller coaster and not even secure. And the other where the actuator is ziptied to the door and the rod is extended very far and at al awkard angle. Sure you can do it how ever way you want it, but come on how reliable do those 2 pics look VERY unreliable. The guy that photoshopped how he did his has the correct mindset of how to install them. You want to put them in line with the OEM door rods, you also want to secure the actuators with the supplied hardware. The wiring is just what it is wiring, you will know if you did that right or wrong.

But anyways when ever i get around to pulling off my door panel for some reason ill sure get a pic of how mine it set up.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by traxxasx
I was talking about the two pics above where one rode is bent to hell like a roller coaster and not even secure. And the other where the actuator is ziptied to the door and the rod is extended very far and at al awkard angle. Sure you can do it how ever way you want it, but come on how reliable do those 2 pics look VERY unreliable

But anyways when ever i get around to pulling off my door panel for some reason ill sure get a pic of how mine it set up.
the rod is extended very far and at an awkward angle huh? no, actually it's not at all. so what if it's not perfectly parallel with the lock rod. guess what genious, it doesn't need to be. the actuator has more than enough power to overcome what little leverage is lost. and explain to me how the length of the rod is going to dramatically effect the functionality of the actuators.. i'd love to hear it. also, the actuator is held in place to the metal bracket firmly with 2 metal screws. the zip tie's sole purpose is to keep the actuator snug up against the door and prevent it from vibrating.

lastly, i have to say that you definitely hit the reliability issue right on the noggin. seeing as how i've never had a problem with the power door locks since the day i installed.. hmm, well i guess that one's out the window too.