Notices

Need help! on dd-- having stalling issues -- need help to correct

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! on dd-- having stalling issues -- need help to correct

okay here is the problem--- i was driving my 1989 honda civic SI back home today and on my way home the motor all of the sudden started to have stalling issues... as in that it would start puttering like there was no power in the motor ... but then if i changed gears it would continue to sputter, but if i let off the gas slightly the motor would vcome back to full power again all of the sudden and she would run like normal. when i come to a stop light she would idle fine but when i take off at the light she would sputter again with no power, but if i let off the gas pedal just slightly it would then all of the sudden catch power again and pull hard. the problem then sometimes also doesnt go away when i let off the gas a bit even if i change through gears, but then sometimes it gains power again. the motor when sputering sounds like if it were off time and running rich... and also does this sputtering at idle sometimes--( not all of the time, more not doing it at idle than it does it) --- i also noticed that my volt meter was going haywire where are when the car was sputtering it read about 12v, but when she caught pwoer again the volt meter would jump back up to 14v....

So here is what ive done so far to try and fix this problem..... i checked all my wiring for my battery relocation kit.... i removed the sound system from the battery..... i cleaned most my ground wires where they connected to frame... i pulled all my spark plugs and checked them where they all showed proper burn and also cleaned them and re gaped them.... i check my spark plug wires which all were fine..... i also check the timing of the caar to see if i had skipped a tooth and she is in perfect time.... at idle she runs smooth, no sputtering or loss of power....

my gauges show that oil pressure is fine..... water temp is at normal..... exhaust is burning at normal efficiency..... my volt meter shows 14v when driving and sometimes at idle... other times it shows 12v. at idle and when car is not statred.....

after doing all this work so far... the car runs fine but still has the sputter/power loss now only in first gear in which it comes and goes.... its not nearly as bad as it was before but it hasnt gone away

oh one last thing... the motor was fully rebuild about 10,000 miles ago... full rebuild.. everything has been changed and replaced... new pumps , new gaskets, new rings, cleaned everything and all have been rebuilt to factory specs.....

so that is my problem... can anyone help me out here to solve this sputtering issuse and get my dd back to running like the champ she was.... all suggestions will be taken and tried..... i just want to get her running right
Old 04-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need help! on dd-- having stalling issues -- need help to correct

just an update on issue now it is running okay at start up but when the motor warms up the issue begins to happen and it is intermitent so can anyone help out on this issue? i would like to get this running right again.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your tps and see if it reads right
Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also check your dizzy rotor make sure its tight.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 04-03-2013, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haven't check tips yet, did check dizzy and rotor and all is fine there..... will check tips Friday when I can get home to my tools n volt meter.....

up date on motor... driving around today and problem is still there..... acts up more when engine is at running temp, but if I pump the pedal when issue arises it will eventually goes from sputtering to running at full power.....
Old 04-06-2013, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well I checked and replaced tps... and problem is still there.... it is still hesitating around 1-3k rpm... if I pump pedal it will go away sometimes.... fuel pressure is right and I have spark... can anyone help me with this issue... it started all of the sudden.... has anyone had this before where it stuttered and hesitated but then will just cut right back to working with full power... and idle is fine?????
Old 04-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read the whole thread and didn't notice you say anything about ECU codes? Check your ECU codes and let us know what you have. Also, if your check engine light comes on while you are driving, it is good to read that code before turning off the engine. I ride around with my passenger floorboard flipped down (since my issues last week...so far so good for me).

When it started it did it in all gears? It is intermittent and you can make the car work through it?

If you have a friend with the same engine, swap distributors and see if the problem changes to their car. If that solves it, then drive away quickly so they bog and can't keep up..lol
Old 04-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Trial User

i would like to get this running right again.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No engine codes.for.me.... No check engine light..... Yes its in all gears.... And if you read the.whole.post it states that I can get it working... That the stuttering comes and goes through all gears n goes away....
Old 04-14-2013, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just did a tune up on the motor... spark plugs , cap and rotor and the issue is still happening.... need help trying to fighure out whats going on
Old 04-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, I know you have checked furl pressure but my eagle talon did the same thing and the fuel pump was going out. I ignored it until I was stalled in the road.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 04-18-2013, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i finally fixed the problem..... it turned out to be a tiny micro hole in the sparkplug wires .... it was in the black cyclinder part that goes down in the motor... it was on the number one plug and i didnt discover it until i checked spark at night time ... pulling the wires out one at the time and then i seen the spark come out of the side of the black plastic housing... so i changed that one wire and this whole issue is no longer... some how it wasa arcing in the spark plug tube at low rpm and created this issue..... these were even a new set of spark plug wires.... i cant even see the hole in the black plastic... but its there..... all is well now an she is running like a champ....
Old 04-19-2013, 06:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Im having this same problem with my dx tho. And it has new ngk wires. Ill check this out tonight and see if i have the same problem