Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 civic Si. odd power/idle issues.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 civic Si. odd power/idle issues.

for about a month now Ive noticed my car seems to lack power. not horribly bad but enough to notice. then I'll notice that at a constant driving speed/rpm the power cuts in and out kinda. then I'll pull up to a light or park or something and the idle will drop all the way as low as it can and about die if I don't hit the gas. sometimes after i hit the gas it just idles pretty steady and acts fine. still the power doesn't seem all there ever. sometimes it's worse but for the most time this is completely speratic. somedays no real issues. some days its terrible.

I replaced my fuel filter. (knocked the old one on the ground and poured out the remainder and it was pretty grody)

plugs & wires recently replaced. same w/ my radiator by some chance that matters.

I notice a louder ticking then normal that sounds like its coming from the injectors.

I bought some fuel injector cleaner stuff you add to your gas from lucas oils. Haven't added it becasue i'm waiting until I need to fill up w/ gas I'm at a half tank now.

I doubt this is bad gas as it's been going on for many fill ups now.

Tonight i'll check for vacuum leaks. do my symptoms sound like a leak at all, if not what should be a part of my check list here?.

Thank you in advance
Justin

Old 02-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 civic Si. odd power/idle issues. (Insane Si Lum)

i had pretty much had all the same problems and then one morning the car didnt start....only later to find out that my terrible idle wasnt from any of the million things that people said like....vacuum leaks (although yours sounds like that could be the case), Idle ControlValve blah blah, Dirty or highly carbonated throttle body, spark plugs n wires, nor was it my fuel injectors or bad gas...instead all the grounds to my car sucked and needed to be redone....and i needed a new battery because mine was dying and also crucifying my alternator...If i was you check for vacuum leaks and if you said your car cuts in and out check your grounds, and battery. This is a very common problem with Si's.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:01 PM

i STILL have this problem.....checked that my grounds bolts were tight, and I bought a Greedy Ground kit..... no change.

new fuel filter, plugs, plug wires, seafoam, lucas treatment, ignitor, cap/rotor, battery, battery terminals, headers, new cat and muffler, new tires, new radio, changed oil, checked all fluid levels, timing belt, valve adj......

and STILL remains....... one thing you can check....

hook up a timing light to any plug, see if it misses just a little...... mine does.

Mine misses like once or twice every 3 or 4 seconds
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 civic Si. odd power/idle issues. (ApolloSpeed)

I've never done this w/ a timing light. how do you go about doing so?

(Also I have no check engine light and have yet to see one since this all started)

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:16 PM

just plug up the light.....let it idle....and see if the light flashes uniterupted.... should be very steady, fast flashing light.

Mine just barely misses..... barley noticeable, but it is there.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 civic Si. odd power/idle issues. (ApolloSpeed)

I don't own a timing light. can you recomend one for this. how does it hook up?