Notices

FRONT WINDSHIELD (WINDOW/WINDOW SEAL LEAK)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRONT WINDSHIELD (WINDSHIELD/WINDOW SEAL LEAK)

I am experiencing a major leak in my front windshield when it rains or when I wash my car....
It hasnt been a problem for me for a while (cause it never rains out in ca ever)
But when it does I feel it (Literally) The carpet on the driver side gets soaked. Most of the water is around the hood latch to the pedals. Therefore, all the water is leaking thru my wires, but really I dont know where all the water is comming from.
I am sure its the seals surrounding the windshield, but thats why I posted this, to find out if anyone has had previous experience about this particular problem. I have included some pictures of the general area of what I think is the cause of the leakage.

As you can see I tried (Horribly because I was doing this at night before the rain actually came) to apply a clear silicone adhesive to seal the openings on the bottom of the seals as well at the top (where there are also leaks). This is where I think the water is leaking to because there is a few gaps with the seal loose from the windshield. And also this is the general area where the water is finding it's way to the inside.

This is where the water is leaking to... The carpet all around gets soaked, and when I stick my finger up to pop the hood, there is a signifigant sign of wetness from water.. Also... When I drove the car, and when I made a left turn, a whole lot of water poured onto my shoes, and pedals... It left my whole shoe soaked... So the water must be sitting somewhere... This concerns me becuase of the possibility of rust occuring, and the odor it leaves...

I have an alarm and I guess some water got to the unit because the alarm would be sounding off like someone was kicking it or a loud car drove by and no one is even close to the car... Also last night it was going off like 5-6 times in the middle of the night. I went outside and just locked my car without arming the alarm... I am very concerned of this particular problem because of the possible threat to the wiring and all the electrical stuff under the fuse box...

So If anyone knows what I can do to solve this problem it would be of great help, becuase I dont want to wait till it rains again to take care of it. And theres not going to be rain for at least a week so that buys me some time to find a solution

Ive been up all night for a whole week on H-T trying to find a solution to all the problems that has been going on with my car lately... So please to those who are more experienced on this forum bear with me, I am currently on a very steep learning curve and this really helps... THANKS
Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FRONT WINDSHIELD (pinks11)

Personally I'd have the windshield cut out clean up the pinchweld and have it put back in properly but idk how much that would cost since a friend of mine used to do it for a living and helps me out with that sort of thing. But FYI if its leaking through the seal it usually means your pinchweld is rusted so the urethane pulled off the rust and it's coming through that gap, so you might want to take care of it regardless of cost to make sure it dosen't rust away on you.

Otherwise if you want to try to re-seal it yourself take off that plastic piece that you sealed up at the bottom. You'll never accomplish anything putting sealant there it's just a cover, the windshield seals to the pinchweld underneth it. With the cover out you may be able to lay enough sealant all around the windshield to seal it back up. Just keep in mind that if you don't properly fix it you're just covering up a problem =\.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get your windshield reset.
if they try and tell you they might break the windshield on the way out the glass shop is NOOB
should cost around $100

are you sure there is no rust holes under the cowel?
Old 10-17-2007, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (welfarepc)

thanks,
yeah i asked a window guy once, and thats what he told me, so that made me hesitant on getting work done to the windshield.... So when they reset the windshield do they change the seals as well??
but yeah $100 sounds about right.
Also what is this cowel youre talking about

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bob_760 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Personally I'd have the windshield cut out clean up the pinchweld and have it put back in properly but idk how much that would cost since a friend of mine used to do it for a living and helps me out with that sort of thing. But FYI if its leaking through the seal it usually means your pinchweld is rusted so the urethane pulled off the rust and it's coming through that gap, so you might want to take care of it regardless of cost to make sure it dosen't rust away on you.

Otherwise if you want to try to re-seal it yourself take off that plastic piece that you sealed up at the bottom. You'll never accomplish anything putting sealant there it's just a cover, the windshield seals to the pinchweld underneth it. With the cover out you may be able to lay enough sealant all around the windshield to seal it back up. Just keep in mind that if you don't properly fix it you're just covering up a problem =\.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're right i dont want to just cover up a problem. but all that does sounds like it will solve the problem... how much does a job like that usually run for???

ANYONE KNOW A REPUITABLE AND HONEST WINDOW SHOP AROUND MY AREA??? I AM LOCATED AROUND THE L.A./SAN GABRIEL VALLEY AREA....
There are a shitload of shops out here, and everyone tries to compete with each other it's pretty crazy so I just want to go somewhere where the folks are straightfoward....

Old 10-17-2007, 01:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pinks11)

by LB and Compton my cousin would hook you up.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (JKGONZALEZ3)

The molding piece that you can see on the outside can sometimes be reused what really matters is they put down a nice thick bead of urethane and then set the windshield in it, this is what really makes the seal. The plastic piece I'm talking about is the cowl vent thing, it's what you put sealant on in the first pic. If you pop off those plastic caps you'll find the hardware that holds it down, then remove your wiper arms etc. and it'll come off, then you can see the bottom edge of the windshield.