Notices

eBay steering wheel hubs -- anyone used one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay steering wheel hubs -- anyone used one?

Ok, so normally Momo, NRG, Boss hubs go for $50-$100. But what about the super cheap eBay ones? Here are two examples:

http://*******.com/5ks65r
http://*******.com/5rgxpz

Those are super cheap! But are they worth it? My DA came with what looks like an even cheaper hub than those (and 5 bolt no less), and it works fine, just looks and feels cheap.

The only track duty this car will see is some light action in the future...but it's a 99.9% daily driver.

edit: LOL! What's with Internet Brands ****'s censoring everything? First HondaTekh and now Tiny URL . com is censored? Jeez.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-89...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-...3A1|240%3A1318
Old 11-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i personally have one wit the quick release and they both do the job..just sticks out a lil..feels kinda wierd actually with the steering wheel so close to your chest..im 5'3 so i have my seats all the way forward but if you got long legs, ur good...but its just that after awhile you'll regret that you should have bought a NRG unit...thats how i feel..
Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some of the ebay hubs are real cheap and can crack..ive broken 2..one from just installing it...i used an impact gun and it literally cracked in half...my bad for using too much torque and i broke one while having an anger attack after being cutoff on too many times that day..i hit the wheel so hard it cracked the hub too...i stick to momo/nardi...the 5 bolt hub you have is from a grant steering wheel...and if you get the hub and quick release combo..opt for the short hub..nrg sells all...
Old 11-21-2008, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those things fit like total crap. leaves about an inch or two gap between the hub and steering column

wow is every link getting censored on this lame site
Old 11-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have one its ugly... but it came with the car
Old 11-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by peter_b16
i personally have one wit the quick release and they both do the job..just sticks out a lil..feels kinda wierd actually with the steering wheel so close to your chest..im 5'3 so i have my seats all the way forward but if you got long legs, ur good...but its just that after awhile you'll regret that you should have bought a NRG unit...thats how i feel..
haha, it's ok, I'm 6'0" and the main reason I want a normal hub (as opposed to the short one) is that I want the wheel closer to my chest. EF's are tiny cars...my knees, steering wheel, and hands get into collisions when I try to turn and shift.

Originally Posted by rasrx7
some of the ebay hubs are real cheap and can crack..ive broken 2..one from just installing it...i used an impact gun and it literally cracked in half...my bad for using too much torque and i broke one while having an anger attack after being cutoff on too many times that day..i hit the wheel so hard it cracked the hub too...i stick to momo/nardi...the 5 bolt hub you have is from a grant steering wheel...and if you get the hub and quick release combo..opt for the short hub..nrg sells all...
Damn, you broke the hub itself? I actually broke a bolt on the Grant hub I have by tightening it, so if I get a cheap hub I'm going to get new (decent quality) bolts first. And as stated above, I know the NRG short hub is sexy but I want the wheel a little closer to my chest

Originally Posted by lmananT
those things fit like total crap. leaves about an inch or two gap between the hub and steering column
Do you have any pics? I don't even see how this is possible, given that the spline itself only sticks out of the steering column like two inches.

I think my biggest worry at this point is the hub just not fitting. The previous owner of my DA tried to put a Grant hub on, but it was a little too small for the splines, so he hammered it on, and now it's completely stuck. Wow.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I used a knock-off ebay hub without problems...
Old 11-21-2008, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i exaggerated a bit, it stuck out more like half an inch but it is very noticable. i don't have pics because i took it off right away and trashed it. only bought it for 10 bucks from a local shop.

and yea its the same exact one as the one in the ebay listing. i remember having that MPH horn button that feels like it'll break by just touching it. can't really complain for 10 bucks.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they fit fine but they are cast aluminum not stamped steel like the momo. only difference is in an accident the momo can compress so you dont get a wheel through your chest
Old 11-21-2008, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I ended up getting the Boss Kit hub adapter. Apparently that's a good quality Japanese adapter, not a knock-off or cheap copy.

Picked up a new wheel too

IMG_2569.jpg?t=1225066483
Old 11-22-2008, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I LIKE THAT WHEEL!!!!! OLD SCHOOL MOMO's ROCK!!!!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good choice because the ebay hub kits leave gaps, even there plastic cover won't hide them.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that gap looks bad!!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, that looks pretty weird. My DA has a much, much cheaper hub and it just has a little plastic accordion to cover it up
Old 11-22-2008, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Those kits suck, i had a grant kit and it fit NICE....i am going back for now.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had mone for a year, no problems. had to, my original was all loose feeling... *egh*
Old 11-23-2008, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bought one of the ebay wheel hub and quick release set-ups a while back and hated it. the wheel was super flimsy, the quick release was really hard to turn and got stuck alot, and the hub was off quite abit. it had that huge gap between it and the column , like the above post. it also wiggled a little bit and didn't feel secure, and it definitely did stick out to far. ended up selling the whole set up for like 15 bucks and switched to my grant set-up which is no comparison.
you'd probably be better off to just get a better hub and not waste the money on buying the crap ebay one and hating it and then buying a better on later as i did.