Notices

89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install!

I posted a question a few months back concerning the issue of nobody having window visors available for us USDM CRX guys with door mounted seat belts. The best answer I found was ones that fit the 88 CRX or whatever year as long as it had B-pillar seat belts, I'm pretty sure the HBs and 88 crxs use the same part number so thats what I went with. The only other versions available are JDM ones which are WAY over priced and not even as effective as cheaper Ventshade brands, so that left me wanting to solve the issue mainly because when it rains my windows fog up all to hell unless I roll my windows down of of course all that damn rain just pours right in the car and just slowly kills the interior. So I finally decided to figure out a solution and heres what I have, cheapest way I have found to run these and so far I'm the only person I've seen with them so I hope this does alot of guys well

This is pretty simple explanation/write up of how I did it. You can see the part umber I used in the first pic. 1st step is just to test fit them to see where the edge of the b-pillar door garnish is under the visor so you will know how much to cut off as this is the main problem with them fitting. The actual curve of the visor is off compared to the CRX door but it's not bad and there's plenty of adhesive to hold it in place (Test fit FIRST). The passenger side was a different length than driver side so I had to measure each individually, possibly due to having the side view mirrors mounted a little offset or something? your car may be different but I still recommend not trying to short cut by cutting them both the same amount.

All I did next was use some weather stripping I bought from home depot to cover up the small spot left after cutting out the necessary section out. This helps to keep the fit water tight, the pictures really do explain the simple process pretty well. Incase anybody's wondering how they work on the CRX after custom install? It rained STUPID hard that night and I had my windows down a few inches the entire night (6 hours of delivering pizzas) w/ no leaks what so ever, and the best part was my windows did not fog up like always since I run no AC. and of course thats the biggest reason of all that I even run these, to help keep the car dry while "defogging" the windows any time it rains really hard, otherwise or if I had AC I would probably never have messed with window visors. All in all though I do like the way it looks either way, hope this helps some of you guys out!

Here you can se the part number I used, these actually fit a 88 Civic HB perfectly, I never had a chance to test them on a 90-91 HB. I bet they fit 88 CRXs as well w/o any cutting?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install! (VtecSyndr

awsome I know what my next mod will be. I'm sick of getting wet every time it rains.

How much and where did you buy these at?

thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install! (VtecSyndr

Nice!

Just so everyone knows the EF8 JDM Visors NoN power folding mirrors work with the USDM door mounted seatbelt 90-91 Crx
Old 03-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^
Old 03-23-2008, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90crxdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">awsome I know what my next mod will be. I'm sick of getting wet every time it rains.

How much and where did you buy these at?

thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>

I bought mine at Auto zone on special order, they were only $37 after tax! Advanced or any other auto parts store should be able to order them as well.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ESP.net &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice!

Just so everyone knows the EF8 JDM Visors NoN power folding mirrors work with the USDM door mounted seatbelt 90-91 Crx </TD></TR></TABLE>

So the mirrors work? or the visors work? just hard to tell what your saying the way you worded it I figure your saying the JDM visors fit but either way they are stlll hella over priced making my option much cheaper and enticing.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecSyndrome &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I bought mine at Auto zone on special order, they were only $37 after tax! Advanced or any other auto parts store should be able to order them as well. </TD></TR></TABLE>

cool thanks
Old 03-23-2008, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecSyndrome &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I bought mine at Auto zone on special order, they were only $37 after tax! Advanced or any other auto parts store should be able to order them as well.

So the mirrors work? or the visors work? just hard to tell what your saying the way you worded it I figure your saying the JDM visors fit but either way they are stlll hella over priced making my option much cheaper and enticing. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, EF8 JDM visors work with the 90-91 (89 Dx and Si) Door Mounted Seatbelt Crx's below is the thread I did. With USDM mirrors.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2195151
Old 03-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ESP.net &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, EF8 JDM visors work with the 90-91 (89 Dx and Si) Door Mounted Seatbelt Crx's below is the thread I did. With USDM mirrors.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2195151</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok got ya, either way the JDMs were never going on my car. $200+ can be spent on SOO many more things on my car than overpriced JDM visors. They do look good though
Old 03-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so to put some on my 91crx, all i would need is the visors for a hatch?? and small mod like was done?? deff will be something to do...
Old 03-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crazykamper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazykamper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so to put some on my 91crx, all i would need is the visors for a hatch?? and small mod like was done?? deff will be something to do... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, thats all! Amazing how well simplicity seems to work when needing to customize something
Old 03-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hummm went to autozone today and they said they were unavailable. started surching online and the part # on the ventshades you used is pulling up 90-91 Honda Civic 2 & 3dr. well I guess I'll order them and see how they fit.

It was raining like hell while I was driving and I got to have these especially since my sunroof will not open anymore as of yesterday.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hummm went to autozone today and they said they were unavailable. started surching online and the part # on the ventshades you used is pulling up 90-91 Honda Civic 2 & 3dr. well I guess I'll order them and see how they fit.

It was raining like hell while I was driving and I got to have these especially since my sunroof will not open anymore as of yesterday.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts

UUhhhh I see you used the model # and brand I said to get a while back,

They look good on the rex don't they. people said that they did'nt make them.... phhh, took me a while to find the right #.
They do fit all 88-91, only thing I forgot to do was cut out that little piece in the top corner (good thinkin on your part)for it to sit perfect permantely. when they were new they stuck on great and after months down the road the corners peeled away a bit - cheap tape!
to who ever buys these I would recomend to use a silicon glue aswell as the two sided tape, They will peel off a bit if you dont!
These were one of the best $50 investments I have made to my car!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 69 Posts

Model# 92047 is for 88-91 civics 2-3 door, i bought these originally had to cut in the center to get the arch at the top...SOOoo ghetto, then,
I finnaly found the 92033's perfect fit, I posted pic's a while back with them on my 89 and a buddy's 91 to show they work on the different years.
When you ask for these just say the model #, I asked everywhere for "the crx ones"came up with no luck.
I think on the package of the 92033 they say will work with 88, 89 crx but not 90-91- NOT TRUE. they will work.

Modified by Maxcapacity at 1:41 PM 3/29/2008
Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Maxcapacity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Model# 92047 is for 88-91 civics 2-3 door, i bought these originally had to cut in the center to get the arch at the top...SOOoo ghetto, then,
I finnaly found the 92033's perfect fit, I posted pic's a while back with them on my 89 and a buddy's 91 to show they work on the different years.
When you ask for these just say the model #, I asked everywhere for "the crx ones"came up with no luck.
I think on the package of the 92033 they say will work with 88, 89 crx but not 90-91- NOT TRUE. they will work.

Modified by Maxcapacity at 1:41 PM 3/29/2008</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well your half right. They do not fit perfect but they fit pretty close which the bast option available so far. I can't imagine installing these w/o cutting them given the gap that would be there, it would let all kinds of rain in I would think. The way they curve along the top of the door is also a little different than the CRX doors but again it's close enough to make it work since there is still enough surface area for the tape to stick to.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90crxdriver &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hummm went to autozone today and they said they were unavailable. started surching online and the part # on the ventshades you used is pulling up 90-91 Honda Civic 2 & 3dr. well I guess I'll order them and see how they fit.

It was raining like hell while I was driving and I got to have these especially since my sunroof will not open anymore as of yesterday. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah you can't ask for the "CRX" ones because there is no listing, you have to just order them by their part number and thats why I took the pic of the part number up close. I only paid $37 bucks for the pair
Old 03-30-2008, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry but i just dont like the small overlap on the door trim. is there a way to eliminate that? maybe some more trimming and pasting? looks decent though and i second tha comment of the dam foggy windows, i live in FL so its hot as ***** and also rains at the drop of a dime them stops so i find myself leaving my windows open a crack with no clouds in site then 3 mins later BOOM tsumani, and my car is soaked!
Old 03-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I CRX I)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I CRX I &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry but i just dont like the small overlap on the door trim. is there a way to eliminate that? maybe some more trimming and pasting? looks decent though and i second tha comment of the dam foggy windows, i live in FL so its hot as ***** and also rains at the drop of a dime them stops so i find myself leaving my windows open a crack with no clouds in site then 3 mins later BOOM tsumani, and my car is soaked!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well unfortunately there is no other way to fit them securely to the door, the overlap is no big deal at all to me since the pieces are so dark they don't really stand out at all. If you cut that piece off you''ll have problems getting the visor to hold properly and my bet is the wind would have it's way with it and rip it off. If you can figure out a better way to install these then by all means have at it and I'll be all ears but I doubt there is a better way to do it than this.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:40 AM

hey man I just ran across this tread, all I want to do is say thanks, I agree that the JDM vents are way over priced and why you can't get them for a 91' is beyond me..but I just ordered my vents from Advanced and will put them on tomorrow.... and by the way you have a very nice rex.. you just gotta love these cars....
Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install!

I just bought mine last night. I can't wait for them to get here.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:33 PM

Default Re: 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install! (90crxdriv

I just got mine put on and it turned out pretty darn good.. thanks again for the idea,,, it works
Old 04-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install! (90crxdriv

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rexy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just got mine put on and it turned out pretty darn good.. thanks again for the idea,,, it works </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great to hear!, thats the exact reason I made this thread so I'm glad you guys are making use of it
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine came in on Wednesday, and I installed them on Sunday. Thanks for the information.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those look great, i'm going to look into a pair for my self. I was wondering, is there a sunroof visor? I'm looking for a visor for my sunroof because i got an 89 crx si. Anyone know if they sell them?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crexsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crexsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those look great, i'm going to look into a pair for my self. I was wondering, is there a sunroof visor? I'm looking for a visor for my sunroof because i got an 89 crx si. Anyone know if they sell them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Most likely you'll have to measure your sunroof for a universal application, I'm not sure how easy/hard it would be to get an OEM one if they are even available anymore? I bet a universal kit mounted properly would be all you need and cheaper too.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VtecSyndrome)

thank you for this thread~

also is there any binding bc i knwo the CRX doors angle down a bit more than the hatchback doors??

my worry is that there is a little stress on the tape and will give over a short period of time

any problems?

Quick Reply: 89-91 (door mounted seatbelts) USDM CRX ventshade window visor custom how-to install!