Notices

b18c dies with gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c dies with gas

So here is the story. 98 b18c p72 ecu. New fuel filter, new fuel rail, new fuel pressure regulator.

So I turn the key. Pump primes. Good. Turn it to start. Engine cranks. Good. Engine Starts but is sputtering. Not Good. Then engine dies. Sometimes the engine will start, rev to about 2k then dive down and die. If i am pumping the brake pedal. (The brake pedal goes to the floor because I have not bled the brakes yet) Then the car will try to idel at about 1000-700. but eventually die. if I hit the gas during any of this time the car will not even start and will die if I had it almost going.

Any ideas. I am confused at this point.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18c dies with gas

Have you adjusted your FPR? The pressure may not be high enough. You have to look at it as the car was running fine before you made the last changes, so look at everything you just did. Hope that helps.

Edit:Just looked at the build page, whenever you are running an aftermarket adjustable FPR it is wise to use a fuel pressure gauge alongside to keep tabs.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

test your battery and your alternator, this happened to my last car, the alternator was bad and caused the same symptoms we thought it was a fuel pump, but three batteries and an alternator later the problem was fixed
Old 04-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 00_EKHatch
Have you adjusted your FPR? The pressure may not be high enough. You have to look at it as the car was running fine before you made the last changes, so look at everything you just did. Hope that helps.

Edit:Just looked at the build page, whenever you are running an aftermarket adjustable FPR it is wise to use a fuel pressure gauge alongside to keep tabs.
Thanks. Yeah it was just running much better than it is now The only thing I changed was undoing the brake lines for a couple days, and new fuel filter, new fuel pressure regulator, and new fuel rail...

I have a fuel pressure gauge arriving tomorrow. it just wasnt here yet but thanks for the reminder that it is probably off.

Originally Posted by Red-Rocket
test your battery and your alternator, this happened to my last car, the alternator was bad and caused the same symptoms we thought it was a fuel pump, but three batteries and an alternator later the problem was fixed
can you give me more details on this? The batter is brand new from NAPA. How could the alternator do this? battery holds a goood charge and cranks it all day too. Voltmeter says car is charging.. ie 14 volts for a honda when the engine does idle even when it is rough.

Engine never even has time to get warm obviously. Main Relay is doing what it should... Oil pressure around 40 at idle dips obviously when it is dying. Oil doesnt look milky or anything. I am confused but I want to know more about the alternator maybe causing this. How the hell.?
Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like it could just be fuel consumptions....
check your injectors they could be clogged...
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dk=gsr
sounds like it could just be fuel consumptions....
check your injectors they could be clogged...
Maybe, not sure.

***update***

I put the gauge on this morning. The car started up as soon as I put it on, I adjusted it to 50 psi and it ran fine. No idea what is wrong with the stupid thing haha. It is nasty and rainy out today. I will hopefully get some help this afternoon and I can bleed the brakes and go for a real test drive. until then here is to hoping it stays running!
Old 04-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like its going to be fine now.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So does that mean I was he lucky winner?? lol
Old 04-28-2012, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, car is not fine. I found the issue though. I was waiting for it to die again. This just proves that lots of gauges make for much easier diagnostics lol.

Car decided not to run well. Fuel pressure was not even registering... So now I am going to pull the fuel pump... See whats up.