88 CRX DX FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 CRX DX FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM - HELP!

Hey wasup peeps. I'm new to the board :cool: . I was wondering if you guys could help me. See heres the problem.

I have an 1988 CRX DX w/ exhaust and intake using the stock DPFI (Duel point fuel injection). The car starts fine in the morning and I can roll fine. Except, sometimes the car starts revving between 2000-3000 rpm (Or just stays at 3,000 rpm) w/o pressing the pedal. Hence, It revs when Im just sitting there. As it does that, I can smell gas fumes coming from my exhaust and black build up all over the inside (Im guessing its carbon forming from burning gas). Also when It revs I lose throttle control. For example, every time I press the pedal instead of making the car go it just stops it. Kinda of weird. I have posted on other boards, but I cant figure out the problem.

-I have replaced the O rings on the Fuel Injectors
-Cleaned out the Fuel system with Fuel Injector cleaner

Rarely, does it rev up to 3,000 rpm then back down and gives me a check engine light. But this problem is wasting 50 miles of gas mileage. If you can help I'd appreciate it greatly!

My Contact info:
AIM: NeophyteEQ
EMAIL: Fluffycabbage@tranceaddict.net

If your in the LBC area, I'd be happy to drive over there.
Old 10-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 88 CRX DX FUEL INJECTION PROBLEM - HELP! (Fluffy_CRX)

Look at the computer, (in passenger kick panel/foot well area, pull down the carpet) and see if the light is blinking, so you can check the code. Make sure you read it while the problem is occuring in case it is a soft code. That will give an idea maybe...

(IDK if you knw how to read codes, basically just count the blinks, a long pause indicated the end of the code, so blink-pause-blink-pause-pause-blink-pause-pause-blink-pause-blink-pause-pause-blink-pause-pause... would be codes 1 and 2)

-Dustin
Old 10-03-2003, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else?
Old 10-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Fluffy_CRX)

I have the same problem with my 88 CRX DX. You know what it is? Fuel Injectors and O2 sensor need to be replaced. I hate it when you start it up and it jumps to 2000+ RPM. But if you take the gas pedal and pull it back with your toe it usually drops it, which makes transitioning into gear alot smother. I also have it dropping about 500-1000RPM when I am slowing down and the car jerks forward a bit, and when I am at a light with the brake on it will lurch forward and has made me have some close calls to fender benders if I didnt have the brake pedal down all the way. The way I look at it is, this motor is esentially ****. It will be **** forever no matter how many mods you do to it. **** is always ****. Im just going to deal with it and put the money I save from fixing it and modding it into a B16 or something more reliable, and if not as/more reliable at least a hell of alot more fun to drive.

CRX Forum
Old 10-03-2003, 10:43 PM

Default Re: (crxforum)

hell yeah! the dx motor is ****! I swaped it out for a b16a1 once i get my old motor from the shop i'm thinking of throwing it off a really high cliff! (I really hate that motor! i feel honda shouldn't of ever made it!!!)
Old 10-04-2003, 01:00 AM

Default Re: (Fluffy_CRX)

bump.. yeah i have the same prob right now, ill let it warm up, and ill be driving, and off the line, like a street light it will "spudder" like it doesnt wanna go, and say at 3200 , i am gonna do a mpfi swap, so i am hoppping that will solve the prob as it is being done,, but once my car is warmed up, it runs fine, but other than that its like a loss of power,, it really sucks,, and my gas pedal sticks also..lol so that doesnt make it any better,,

does anyone know how i can make my gas pedal from not sticking anymore its real annoying, and i tend to waste gas...

so dont feel likes it only u man,, i have the same prob..

http://www.nwstreetracing.com...peace