Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what does a salvaged title mean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what does a salvaged title mean?

why do people hate a car with a salvaged title?
Old 02-15-2003, 05:40 PM

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (wm5holla)

Because the car was wrecked, flooded, or stolen and beat to hell
JwM
Honda-Tech Member

For several reasons... The major being that usually for a car to receive a salvage title is that it wasn't worth the cost to repair, i.e. in a really bad accident... In most cases cars that have been given a salvaged title have some sort of frame damage.... Now that's not to say that that is always the case... Sometimes cars can be salvaged out if they have had flood damage, or theft recovery... It all depends on the circumstance, but when people hear salvage they think wrecked automatically.... Hope that helps!
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it could have been a theft recovery, accident, or anything else.

edit- wow, 3 posts at the same time

[Modified by Emerica, 6:41 PM 2/15/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 05:43 PM

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (Emerica)

It means in Alabama no ******* tag for you....how do I know? I own a salvaged 99 si with a b18c5. After finished...I found out...
Old 02-15-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (Anthonyl469)

It also takes away alot of cars value....
Old 02-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My civic has a salvage title which makes getting full coverage impossible or hard to get depending on your ins company and no possibility of getting a loan on it. If you do get a claim on it, you will not get anything for it. When I had Allstate, they allowed full coverage, but with Geico, they did not allow. I would stay away from totalled cars unless you witnessed or did the repair yourself (assuming you are good). I would not get one if it is a flood car unless you are just running the shell and doing a full restoration. Mine was theft recovery and was complete except for the exhaust and intake. Also, selling the car to the general public is very hard to do. I am selling my civic with an ITR swap and the sale price is the price of the swap alone.

[Modified by markpaco, 3:09 AM 2/16/2003]
Old 02-15-2003, 11:42 PM

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (markpaco)

i mean whats whats fuss on buyin a car with a salvaged title
Old 02-15-2003, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It means in Alabama no ******* tag for you....how do I know? I own a salvaged 99 si with a b18c5. After finished...I found out...
dam man that sux
Old 02-16-2003, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (showspeed.com)

To clear it up, you have to bring it to Trenton and they inspect the repairs.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sorry..

what does that mean ???

Old 02-16-2003, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i mean whats whats fuss on buyin a car with a salvaged title
exactly..ur going to get it real cheap and if ur going to throw a swap into it i dont think ur going to be thinking of selling it anytime soon..

just dont be a cheap ***** like my brother and think ur going to be getting a car in great condition..its got a dark history
Old 02-16-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (deepnite)

My friend bought a 97 hatch a while ago from this shaddy looking vietnamese owned place....They said it was in a accident but it was all fixed. It had a salvage title on it but i guess when they told him it was all fixed he thought it would be ok. One day he hit a curb real fast and bent his front right lower control arm. I went to work fixing it and i decided to put the car up onto four jackstands to check out the rest of the car. I looked at the rear rightside frame rail and saw that it had been painted. I started picking at his and when i was done there was a golf ball sized hole there that had been filled in with bondo and masking tape.

to sum it all up moral of this story is never believe what a dealer tells you and always get the car checked out......and bring a friend that knows what there looking for with you
Old 02-16-2003, 11:54 AM

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean? (aw1234dude)

we are picking up our new car soon, its a 99 civic si. salvage title, basicly completly stripped. were goin to put the hours of work into it and make it one clean *** car... you have to make sure you have ALL receipts... for work and parts at least in http://www.state.ma.us/rmv/titles/12theft.htm PA i know you do. after you have it inspected you must then file for a reconstructed title when that is accepted you have fee's to pay then a state trooper inspects your car again w/ receipts and check legality and safety...
all of which = pain in the ***. so be sure you know what your getting into, but have fun.
PEACE
Old 02-16-2003, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what does a salvaged title mean?

yes, you can get full coverage with a salvage title, my sister has a 98 gsr that was previously flooded, and she's had full coverage for 1 1/2 years now. the reason a lot of people don't want to buy a salvaged car is because a bank will loan you only half the value of the car, however, most credit union type of things will loan you the full value. most cars that go on a salvage auction get a salvage title, even if the car didn't have damage. my bro in law bought a integra that had no damage whatsoever, and he still got a repaired title. theft recoveries, same thing, repaired title. here in idaho, the rule is that if you don't get the car inspected before you start fixing it, you automatically get a reconstructed title. if you do get it inspected first, then you usually get a repaired. to register a salvaged car you have to get it inspected again after you fix it, otherwise they won't let you register it. you have to show receipts for all the parts you had to buy, to proof that you didn't steal those parts. when buying a salvaged car, i'd inspect it if i could. most people do a pretty professional job of fixing cars, but once in a while someone comes along who does shitty jobs on their cars. personally, i think that theft recoveries shouldn't get a salvaged title, instead, a regular clean. taking parts off a car and putting them back on doesn't do anything to the car. here in idaho the law used to be that theft recoveries got clean titles, but then for some reason they changed it, no idea why.