Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Just replaced Radiator/Thermo but I have a few questions.. Somethings not right.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just replaced Radiator/Thermo but I have a few questions.. Somethings not right.

Well my radiator was leaking on my 2000 Civic Si.

So I replaced the radiator. Filled it up with coolant, etc. Started it up, and I come to find out that the bottom hose is NOT getting hot whatsoever, and my heater wasn't working. Also the fan would not kick on, even after driving and idling for around 20 minutes. (IT WAS NOT OVERHEATING THOUGH)

So I figured that my thermostat was most likely seized up or just not working. Went to Honda and bought one, replaced it yesterday along with fresh coolant. I also flushed the entire system with my garden hose.

Then I start my car up and it seems to be okay. The bottom hose gets hot and the heater/AC are working great. We drive it around and let it idle for quite some time. After waiting and waiting, the fan is still not kicking on, but the car is also NOT overheating. It was staying just below half.

So today, I took my car out again to test it out and it seems fine.. Not overheating, but I notice that the temp guage is a bit lower now than it was before the new radiator. Can this just be from the new radiator/coolant/etc?

Now the fan is not kicking on whatsoever. The car is not overheating, but I expected the fan to still kick on. Is it normal for the fan NOT to kick on?

Lastly, when I remove the radiator cap and start the car up, the coolant begins to overflow out of the top. Is this normal? I have to quickly cap it up to prevent it from making a mess.

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Just replaced Radiator/Thermo but I have a few questions.. Somethings not right. (Razr2)

bump
Old 01-16-2008, 10:28 AM
Reject Papi

Default Re: Just replaced Radiator/Thermo but I have a few questions.. Somethings not right. (Razr2)

hmm, your car is not overheating? you said your fan is not kicking on? does it kick on when you turn the ac or defroster on? maybe when you replaced your thermostat, and changed your radiator you unplugged the switch to your fan?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Just replaced Radiator/Thermo but I have a few questions.. Somethings not right. (jhammond_82)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jhammond_82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, your car is not overheating? you said your fan is not kicking on? does it kick on when you turn the ac or defroster on? maybe when you replaced your thermostat, and changed your radiator you unplugged the switch to your fan? </TD></TR></TABLE>

The car is not overheating. But I thought the fan would still turn on after driving/idling for quite a bit of time.

When I turn on the A/C the fan on the heater core DOES turn on. The one that doesn't work is the radiator fan.

The connector is plugged in.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

unplug the plug that's is plugged in... if you know what i mean. jump it with the key in the on possition (used a paper clip or whatever) the fan should come on then.

yes, your coolant should pour out some when the rad cap is off, the engine is running and it gets warmed up

one trick I use is to crank it up and hold the throttle about 3000rpm, shouldn't take more than 5 minutes for the fan to kick on if it started out cold.

if it doesn't work when you jump it, you need a fan. if it does work, you may need a thermo switch.