Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition timing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition timing problems

After doing some searching to no avail, I'm curious as to what the problem could be. When I try to adjust the timing on the EG on the pulley with the 3 marks and the one lonely mark, I can't seem to come even close to getting it to line up with the middle mark.... From my understanding, the middle of the 3 marks is 16* with 14 and 18 being the other two and the lonely mark is TDC, right? So with my timing light's advance set at 0 degrees, the light should be hitting between the 2 smaller marks (the middle mark of the 3) Anyways, when I try to set the timing, even with the distributor advanced all the way, the light barely shows a little bit after the TDC mark; this is with the service connector jumped. So anyone know what the problem could be? Is the mechanical timing off maybe? The car does feel laggy and gutless ...
Old 11-29-2006, 02:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition timing problems (-+Deez+-)

Does no one know? I've just tried using a non-adjustable timing light and the damn thing is nowhere near the 3 notches.... hell, its barely past the TDC notch on the pulley. I'm thinking that the mechanical timing is off or there is something really wrong with the distributor as it is totally OUT of adjustment (its completely maxed out full advance) so I dunno what to do.... ANYONE have any ideas?
Old 11-29-2006, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

skip tooth on Timing belt
Old 11-29-2006, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (s_vares)

make sure you didnt jump a tooth
Old 11-29-2006, 08:35 AM

Default Re: (postman)

did you jump the 2 pin connector under the dash for getting trouble codes before using a timing light on the car? if not it will try and compensate for what your doing. you have to jump that connector to disable real time timing adjustments.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cranny)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cranny &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you jump the 2 pin connector under the dash for getting trouble codes before using a timing light on the car? if not it will try and compensate for what your doing. you have to jump that connector to disable real time timing adjustments.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -+Deez+- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">After doing some searching to no avail, I'm curious as to what the problem could be. When I try to adjust the timing on the EG on the pulley with the 3 marks and the one lonely mark, I can't seem to come even close to getting it to line up with the middle mark.... From my understanding, the middle of the 3 marks is 16* with 14 and 18 being the other two and the lonely mark is TDC, right? So with my timing light's advance set at 0 degrees, the light should be hitting between the 2 smaller marks (the middle mark of the 3) Anyways, when I try to set the timing, even with the distributor advanced all the way, the light barely shows a little bit after the TDC mark; this is with the service connector jumped. So anyone know what the problem could be? Is the mechanical timing off maybe? The car does feel laggy and gutless ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

good one Mcfly
Old 11-29-2006, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (postman)

Here's a easy way to set timing, take your #1 sparkplug out(closest to cam gears) stick a long screwdriver in the sparkplug hole, now turn the crank pulley till the scewdriver is at its highest point, and thats TDC, once you are at TDC make sure your cam gears are lined up, if its a DOHC motor the arrows should b up and in, now loosen your dizzy bolts and then start the car, now point your timing light on the crank and adjust your dizzy to factory settings...good luck
Old 11-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you sure you are using the #1 ignition lead???

other than that about the only thing it can be is cam timing..

Old 07-22-2007, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (schardbody)

i am having the same issue. Where should my cam gears be at for my DOHC? My arrows point up, but then my marks for #1 pistion dont like up accross from eachother. anyone know where i can find a walk through for setting cam timing, an ignition timing?