Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Gouged mating surface cause high idle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gouged mating surface cause high idle?

During my rebuild of a d16y7 I accidentally gouged the intake side of the head while trying to take off the old gasket. That gasket was almost apart of the head itself so I left the hardest parts still on and put on the new gasket. Once I got everything started, it immediately was running at a very high rpm, I checked for vacuum leaks and accelerator cable is good. Im not too sure about the IAC valve, TPS, timing, or valve adjustments though? At this point, I'm thinking I need to tighten the intake manifold to hell on the block or get a new head. Maybe a gouge can cause this problem or could it be something else? & I get scared and turn off the car after 5 seconds at a time, would it be okay to let it run like this?
Old 02-15-2017, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Gouged mating surface cause high idle?

It really depends on the severity of a gouge...usually it would have to be deep and long enough to allow a passage of air from the outside into the manifold/ports...if any part of that mating surface was still intact around the gouge (assuming the mating surface is still FLAT around the gouge) then it's unlikely that a leak would occur providing the rest of the mating surface was clean and flat...which in your description is not. ANY old traces of the previous gasket will cause the mating surface to be compromised and you will NOT get a good seal (tightening the manifold past the recommended torque with a bad mating surface will only cause damage and further problems). Do not run the car as is...remove the intake assy. again, purchase a can of gasket remover and saturate the traces of the old gasket, then remove the remains carefully. After that, inspect the gouged area for severity as described above (you can always provide pics in this thread here for other members to give opinions on the damage), and go from there...do not attempt to reuse the current intake manifold gasket, providing the damage wont cause problems, purchase a new gasket and reinstall the manifold and tighten to spec in proper sequence.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by onlinmrine
During my rebuild of a d16y7 I accidentally gouged the intake side of the head while trying to take off the old gasket. That gasket was almost apart of the head itself so I left the hardest parts still on and put on the new gasket. Once I got everything started, it immediately was running at a very high rpm, I checked for vacuum leaks and accelerator cable is good. Im not too sure about the IAC valve, TPS, timing, or valve adjustments though? At this point, I'm thinking I need to tighten the intake manifold to hell on the block or get a new head. Maybe a gouge can cause this problem or could it be something else? & I get scared and turn off the car after 5 seconds at a time, would it be okay to let it run like this?
Have you solved your idling problem? I have similar issue not sure if its from bad gasket, gouged surface, or bad sensors.
Old 02-10-2022, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by davidb82
Have you solved your idling problem? I have similar issue not sure if its from bad gasket, gouged surface, or bad sensors.
Hello yes I did, it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket wasn't completely removed off the head I had to scrape it off and that created a uneven surface and some coolant was getting into the combustion chamber. Once everything was cleaned off and completely flat with no old gasket material left behind I slapped on the intake with the new gasket and it ran perfectly
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-10-2022, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by onlinmrine
Hello yes I did, it turned out to be the intake manifold gasket wasn't completely removed off the head I had to scrape it off and that created a uneven surface and some coolant was getting into the combustion chamber. Once everything was cleaned off and completely flat with no old gasket material left behind I slapped on the intake with the new gasket and it ran perfectly
Ok thanks I think thats my problem. Because coolant is definitely getting in my combustion chamber. I need to scrape off the old gasket some more.
The following users liked this post: