Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do?

When i first bought my del sol, the ashtray door was broken so it didnt bother me because i dont smoke. Then i finally got enough money to get a new center console, and when it came time to install it, the ashtray would only go down with the door in the open position. And then when i tried to close it, the back of the door hits the ebrake assembly so it wont close all the way. So just to test that it wasnt the new door, i put the old one back in and tried closing it, and it too hits the ebrake. do all of your ashtray doors do this? do they all open and close with no problem? or is it just mine?

btw, its off of a 95 del sol. could that be the problem?
Old 10-20-2003, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do? (Jedi_Sol)

I have a 97 del sol and as far as I know they all have the same interior. Mine has no problem closing and opening, and none of my friends have this problem ether. Try checking to see if something got in the way when you installed the console. When I get off work I'll take a look at mine and see if I can come with some idea of why yours is doing this.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do? (Jedi_Sol)

Post a pic of the problem. My ashtray door is about 1/2 inch from the ebrake and has never given me a problem...
Old 10-20-2003, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all you have to do is take off the center console again, make sure the e-brake cover is straight and flat at the front where it attaches to the console, and slowly put the cover back on. screw the back of it then work your way to the front, making sure that everything is lined up and snug.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do? (DenMatic)

Ive been staring at this for about 3 days now, and i am just completely stumped!

thanx denmatic, but its not the ebrake boot that is the problem. the door actually hits the ebrake. unfortunately i do not have access to a digi cam so i made a crude drawing using PAINT. haha ghetto me.

the ashtray would only go down in the open position like this:

but when i try to close it, the door hits the bottom of the ebrake!

so i took the ebrake boot off completely and the only thing i could figure out that was keeping the door from closing was that the bottom of the ebrake assembly sits at an angle to the left like this /. if the bottom of the ebrake was just a little more towards the right (facing straight forward like this l ) then the door would be able to clear the ebrake.

do all of your ebrakes sit at an angle?
maybe some of your pictures with the ashtray door closed, open, center console without the ashtray so i can see inside would help me a lot.

thanx

Modified by Jedi_Sol at 11:01 AM 10/22/2003
Old 10-22-2003, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, any suggestions? anybody?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm... look at the ebrake part and see if its mounted correctly... the door should clear the ebrake... only thing i can think of is that the e-brake assembly might be the culprit.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do? (DenMatic)

i think so too, im gonna have to see another del sol in person to make sure its my ebrake assembly.

haha pic req: your del sol ebrake assembly with the ashtray removed!
Old 10-23-2003, 01:07 AM
TSPeed Factory

i think the way the e-brake was mounted could be the only problem. i would just take the center console out and then re-mount the e-brake bracket. judging from the illustration it looks like the ashtray cover swings out, instead of swiveling like it should.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Del sol center console ashtray door getting stuck on e-brake, what to do? (AzntaggeR)

again, my drawings were crude because i dont have a digital cam. so my door does swivel up instead of swinging out (like the picture shows).

yeah, im just gonna take out the center console and remount the ebrake. thanx azntagger and denmatic for the tip.