Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Civic EX won't turn over at all

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 97 Civic EX won't turn over at all

I have a 96 Civic EX that will not start. All the lights come on, the radio, AC & all electricity works, so I'm pretty sure it's not a dead battery. When I turn the key, nothing happens but dash lights etc, the car doesn't even try to engage. Could it be the starter?

I'm not a mechanic (otherwise I'd have already fixed it), but this has happened before & it was the anti-theft device. It's an after market device & I've tried to reset it, although I can't remember exactly how to do it.

Can somebody PLEASE tell me how to reset it?

Or, if anyone has another idea that they think will get my car started, please let me know.

Also, I did try calling the dealer, but for some reason they told me they didn't know how to reset the device & the guy I talked with did his best to NOT help, then put me on hold for 10 minutes & I finally hung up.

Any REAL help is greatly appreciated it.

Thanks!!
Old 03-17-2012, 03:25 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 97 Civic EX won't turn over at all

You might be SOL if it's the A/M components causing your no-start issue. You can't even give us the namebrand of it. Can you push start it?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup. I realize that it may be difficult figure out how to work with it if I don't even know what brand it is. That said, are there some general guidelines that A/M installers use? I could just try a few of the most common sequences or something. I did reset it once before, so I know it's possible. I have tried the same sequence I used to reset it before & that turns off the blinking alarm LED for a while, but for some reason it comes back on again.

Where is the starter in a Civic? I can't seem to find it. I was thinking maybe I would try the old "bang on the starter" trick to see if I can get the solenoid to move. Maybe it's a bad starter AND the alarm?

Again. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:43 AM
The Grumpiest

Usually these things have valet switches.
But if you don't even know where the starter is on your own vehicle then trying to work out how to bypass a possible security system issue is going to be beyond you. First take it to an alarm installer and have them look it over.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you're saying it was your anti-theft before and you got it fixed. Then maybe thats not the problem.

Just something you can check real quick - the clutch safety switch - at the top of the clutch pedal there is like a little rubber/plastic thing that has to push the switch for the car to start. If this small rubber piece is missing....your car will not start, or even try to turn over.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've started to reply to this several times & then I keep going back out & looking for the clutch safety switch. I remember having my neutral safety switch go out in my old Chevy (an automatic), but I didn't know that standard transmissions had clutch safety switches. The tricky thing is trying to see if something "isn't" there. I'm not sure if it's not there or I'm just not familiar enough with what I'm looking for. I believe you have found my problem though. Now that you mention it, I've been finding pieces of black plastic on the floorboard & didn't know what it was from. I think I do now. THANK YOU. And thank you for not treating me like I'm a moron, just because I don't know as much about cars as you do.

I guess it's time to call AAA to come & tow the Old girl down to the shop & have them take a look at it for real. Again, THANK YOU for your efforts. They're greatly appreciated. Sorry it took me so long to respond.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:47 PM
The Grumpiest

It's not so much the switch as it is just a rubber stopper that falls off. It's an easily overlooked item when troubleshooting no start conditions.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bamim2
I've started to reply to this several times & then I keep going back out & looking for the clutch safety switch. I remember having my neutral safety switch go out in my old Chevy (an automatic), but I didn't know that standard transmissions had clutch safety switches. The tricky thing is trying to see if something "isn't" there. I'm not sure if it's not there or I'm just not familiar enough with what I'm looking for. I believe you have found my problem though. Now that you mention it, I've been finding pieces of black plastic on the floorboard & didn't know what it was from. I think I do now. THANK YOU. And thank you for not treating me like I'm a moron, just because I don't know as much about cars as you do.

I guess it's time to call AAA to come & tow the Old girl down to the shop & have them take a look at it for real. Again, THANK YOU for your efforts. They're greatly appreciated. Sorry it took me so long to respond.

LoL...yeah...this seems to happen a lot. It happened to 2 of my buddies one right after the other.

But yeah...that black stuff you found is what I was talking about.

There is couple different ways you can fix this without having to take it to a mechanic. Some ppl hot glue a penny or something in there to make it push the switch. Their might be DIY on how to quickly fix.

And if you don't want to have it towed...you can reach up in there and push the switch yourself and start the car.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://ht-archive.org/showthread.php?p=45042155

Ignore the 2nd and 3rd post...
Old 03-19-2012, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

HEY, THANKS for pix!! I had bluish/black ones of those laying on the floorboard. I wish I would have seen your post sooner & I wouldn't have spent all day yesterday fiddling with the Anti-theft device for no reason.

The good news is I finally wised up & called AAA to tow my car into the mechanic & it's being fixed right now. I hope...

Thank you VERY much for the help.