Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

97 Honda Civic ex bogging out now wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Honda Civic ex bogging out now wont start

Ok so recently bought a used 97 Honda civic ex from a co worker he (said) it ran good had no problems well I paid a $1,000 for it I was in a tight spot starting a new job and needless to say needed a car to get there. Car ran great for all of about a month then started having a bunch of problems brake lights went out tried fixing fuses bulbs wires all of it and still nothing. Then all of the sudden it started bogging not too bad at first very minor only bogged when I would hit 80mph it stayed that way for a little while but still good enough to get me to work but today it went to complete $#!t bogging out won't even turn on I try to turn it over before it even starts it dies out. Tried to test drive it around the block and it didn't even make it far from my house don't know what's wrong with it and want to try fixing it myself before taking it to get looked at . Please help this is my only vehicle and my job is far from home I don't know what to do I've done endless research and checked many things and I'm burnt out if ideas.
Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 97 Honda Civic ex bogging out now wont start

Did you pull the CEL codes and do an ignition system tune up after purchasing?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:19 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And expanding on what RonJ has asked, is the CEL on? Does it work? Is it only the brake lights that don't work, or are there other lights that don't work? Check the switch on the brake pedal - it should have a rubber nipple on it, but that nipple loves to fall off. When it falls off, no more brake lights.

As for the bogging/stalling, repeating RonJ, when was the last full ignition tune-up? Wires, plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter? If you don't know, then go get NGK plugs and wires, and OEM cap and rotor. Oil level where it belongs on the dipstick? Remove your radiator cap - do you see coolant in the radiator?
Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've checked the brake light switch and the rubber tip is still intact and I pushed brake pedal while I was looking underneath the pedal it was functional the tip wasn't corroded or broken I've also tried to rewire the lights and nothing. I've replaced bulbs and fuses too and tried to see if there's a short anywhere but everything was good. The only time the lights come on is when I turn my headlights on but when I don't have the headlights on the brake lights won't work at all. Havn't tried an ignition tune up yet i will try that today. There's no Check engine light on I've checked spark plugs and wires they have a slight corrosion it smells slightly burnt will have to change them out. I am going to buy fuel filters today and see if that makes a difference.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also have checked all fluids they are clean gas might need to be drained and put new fuel I'm not sure if there was old gas sitting in the car when I bought it there could be old sediment caught up in the tank causing a clog not letting fuels pass through. I have a bit of maintenance to do on it I bought it in a hurry and started driving it I needed it asap to get to work but now it's barely starting it starts for about 5 seconds it runs then died out.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You're saying: the brake lights function normally only when the headlights are on?

Sounds like the PO finagled with your wiring.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup brake lights turn on when I turn on my headlights but when I push the brake it doesn't get brighter like its supposed to it only works when lights are on with lights off they don't turn on at all tried everything so far. I had suspicion that he wired them to work because when I bought the car the lights worked for about two weeks then took a **** and won't work. I checked wiring nothing was burnt or looked rigged I even tried to rewire the brake lights with new wire and it didn't work
Old 12-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also an update from my earlier post as far as the car not running and the bog I replaced
- fuel filter
-distributor cap and rotor
- replaced all spark plugs and wires
Old 12-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have the correct bulbs (double filament bulbs)?

Check fuel pressure.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Updated from earlier I had to put to old distributor cap back on with new rotor, plugs and wires and got it running with no more bogging car wouldnt start with new distributor cap but it's running still having brake light issues though.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yes have all correct bulbs replaced them all in the back even did the back window brake light and back tail light bulbs just incase any of them burnt out and caused the others to blow out but with all new bulbs still no brake lights only when I turn headlights on they come on