Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

93 civic wont start with key have to jump

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic wont start with key have to jump

have a 1993 civic cx i just bought that was a supposed theft recovery. It was automatic with a d15 when i got it. tried to start it, key lights up dash, CEL is solid, fuel pump primes, but when you turn to start nothing but the relay clicking once under the dash. wont crank the starter. starts fine if the starter is jumped. headlights bright, new battery. jump forward to now and now it was a h22a1 swap with a 5spd trans and same deal, starts with starter jumped but no key. is it the ignition switch? fuses seem fine, key just wont crank the car. any ideas are helpful. thanks!
Old 02-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: 93 civic wont start with key have to jump

try cleaning it. if it helps then replace. or just replace as it's a known issue and cheap.
it's at the right age to be bitin the big one.

DIY Ignition switch cleaning - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

bonus starting issues info:

Starting Problems
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by 4thgenner
have a 1993 civic cx i just bought that was a supposed theft recovery. It was automatic with a d15 when i got it. tried to start it, key lights up dash, CEL is solid, fuel pump primes, but when you turn to start nothing but the relay clicking once under the dash. wont crank the starter. starts fine if the starter is jumped. headlights bright, new battery. jump forward to now and now it was a h22a1 swap with a 5spd trans and same deal, starts with starter jumped but no key. is it the ignition switch? fuses seem fine, key just wont crank the car. any ideas are helpful. thanks!
Don't think it is ignition switch as you say relay is clicking on start. It would also appear to rule out clutch interlock / neutral safety switch as they are upstream of main relay on wiring diagram.

https://i.imgur.com/l5RMg3r.jpg

Most likely open in black/red (interior) or black/white (engine bay). I doubt a theif would bother messing with the black/white wire in the bay so I would focus my efforts on the black/red wire.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Automatics have a switch on the shift lever that cuts off the starter circuit unless it is in park or neutral. Was that wired around in the swap? Manual cars from the factory have a switch that requires the clutch to be pressed all the way down.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:52 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by mk378
Automatics have a switch on the shift lever that cuts off the starter circuit unless it is in park or neutral. Was that wired around in the swap? Manual cars from the factory have a switch that requires the clutch to be pressed all the way down.
Starter kill relay is upstream of main relay so if it is on fact clicking when you turn the car to III it can't be the starter kill although it was also my first thought when I read it was an manual swap. I wonder if this car ever had an aftermarket alarm.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

relay does indeed click on key turn to III. 2 fat black wires were spliced together in shifter wireing but that is it on the wiring side. stays running fine if starter is jumped until key is turned off. it had the same issue with the stock d15 and the auto tranny installed so i dont think its the auto wiring. still wouldnt crank with the key. My attention will go to ignition wires from here. thanks for the suggestions. Car did have a aftermarket alarm too and the wiring for it is a mess under the dash. that could also be a big culprit im assuming.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes there is probably a cut in the wiring for a starter kill feature of the alarm.

Conceptually it's real simple, the key switch energizes a wire which goes through the shifter switch and ultimately to the starter. I think the wire is black with a white stripe throughout. Test at that splice to see if it goes live when you turn the key to start.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you post pictures of what remote start/security you have in there ill be able to tell you what wire colors your looking for.

but most vipers, avitals even code alarm use purple and yellow.

basically during a security install i will cut starter wire and run purple to one end and yellow to the other.

you just need to look for a cut black/white stripe wire. again you post a boat load of photos ill be able to see it.

another words any security in your car doesn't require any cut wires at all. just tapping into them. if you see black/white stripe wire going to purple you found your issue.

trace the black white wire from the plug in picture to the key cylinder.

and as far as testing your ignition and key cylinder at all is very simple. check voltage on ignition, accessory and second accesory with key in the on position.

Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome, thanks for all the help. will try the wiring trace tonight and report back on what i find. that picture helps a bunch.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well got into the garage after work for a few mins before the kids noticed i was home but there was definately a purple wire coming off that black/white one. cut the purple splice off and fixed the wire, then the white battery wire was also tapped into so i cut that spilce off too and fixed the wire. car still wont crank so i will remove the rest of the brain later tonight and return all the wiring to stock best i can. alarm brain says titan on it.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Titan security site says they use a separate relay.

After you do that if you're still not firing up then test starter wire at the ignition and brown plug.

here is the other wire color list. Just in case you're curious to what wires are hooked up. Might be a good idea to keep track of what the installer hooked into.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help everyone, it has been invaluable. cut the brain for the alarm/starter out and fixed the wires best i could, went to crank it and it fired right up with the key. it was just the starter messing with the ignition wires. car is all good to go. now all i need is a prelude passenger axle to get the inner joint for my integra axle, then find out why the driver side is binding a little bit. thanks again!