Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996 Civic wiper problem. possible fuse box issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Civic wiper problem. possible fuse box issue?

Allright I'm new to the forum but I really need your help guys, I have a 1996 honda civic si, with a b18b1 swap from a 1998 obd2 integra (this car was swapped before I got it) . The other day I was replacing a screw I had removed the previous day in the bottom of the dash, on the drivers side when I noticed a long red wire leading to my fuse panel. It was attached to a fuse, and I was curious what the heck it was for. I pulled out the fuse along with the wire, replaced the fuse without the wire, and my stereo deck didn't work. After that i replaced the wire with the fuse just as I had originally got it and the stereo worked and the car went back to normal.
HOWEVER I tried to use the wipers, and nothing. Neither the wipers nor washer fluid will work. It is as if there is no power to the switch or something. I went out and bought a test light, and tested each fuse with the ignition on. Not all light up. The one for my stereo however did light up. I removed each fuse that didn't light up and tried a direct connect to the battery with the fuse to test it and the bulb light up for each one indicating all the fuses were good. After that I started testing the sockets that the fuses were in, and nothing. no light. I also tested all my under the hood fuses and I know all my fuses are good. Everything on the car still works minus wipers and washer fluid, there are multiple fuses not getting power. What should I do?
Try and find a replacement fuse box? or is there something else I can test or try? I didn't think I shorted anything out all I did was pull out a fuse and then put it back in.
Any help offered is greatly appreciated, c'mon honda tech !
Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Civic wiper problem. possible fuse box issue?

There's no need to remove dash fuses to test whether they're blown and getting voltage. Just turn the key to ON(II) and test for voltage at both of the fuse's top test tabs.

The wiper fuse is 20A dash fuse 26. Start by testing it. If it does not have voltage on either test tab, then next test 40A hood fuse 42. Does it have voltage on both bolts on either side of it?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
There's no need to remove dash fuses to test whether they're blown and getting voltage. Just turn the key to ON(II) and test for voltage at both of the fuse's top test tabs.

The wiper fuse is 20A dash fuse 26. Start by testing it. If it does not have voltage on either test tab, then next test 40A hood fuse 42. Does it have voltage on both bolts on either side of it?

I did test them in the dash at first with the key in the on position, but after they didnt work i removed it and tested it right on the battery just to make absolute sure i could rule it out. I will take a look at the 20A number 26 fuse and let you know, as well as the 40A one. If they're good what would you say i should do ?
Old 02-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Trial User

A friend mentioned to me that the screw I put back into the steering column could have shorted a wire out since it wasn't in there when i got the car. I removed the screw, and removed all the plastic casing around the switch and column and everything looks normal as it should. I have no idea what it is