Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my fluid updated also and it started happening again. Taking it back to the dealer this week. They said they would replace 3rd with no problems. I will let you all know how that goes...
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by jrfiji20si
just wanted to say i got my third gear pop out/ grind fixed today w/o any problems... i had already updated the fluid and it fixed it for a couple of weeks but then it started to come back. i took my car to the dealer and they said they'll replace the 3rd gear set with no problem... they ordered the part a week ago and i dropped it off sunday night and just picked it up and its a huge difference... they also found my valve cover gasket to be leaking and replaced that too. btw the car is a 07 fg2 and im the second owner it only has 21k on it.
\

geez if i knew it might give me trouble i wouldnt have bought it =( im the 2nd owner as well it only has 13 k on it....and i will try to go have them fix it asap becuz its happening more frequently I'm glad u had no problems fixing urs
Old 12-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Banned

Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Damn, good thing I have an 09. :O
Old 12-30-2008, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Originally Posted by jdm4drSi
Damn, good thing I have an 09. :O
that doesnt mean ur safe from the tranny defect.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update on mine...

Its been a couple months/few thousand miles after my 3rd gear fix. I have not had a single grind or pop out occur. It has gotten pretty cold here, single digits late night and no issues with that either. So far so good!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:23 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nishant
Update on mine...

Its been a couple months/few thousand miles after my 3rd gear fix. I have not had a single grind or pop out occur. It has gotten pretty cold here, single digits late night and no issues with that either. So far so good!
me t00!
Old 01-03-2009, 09:50 PM
NO MERCY!

Well so far I have 40K on my car to date and haven't had an issue with 3rd gear grinding or popping out. But sometimes I do find it necessary to apply some excessive force when it's cold to get it into 3rd.....occasionally when it's warm as well. Seems like the gear only acts up every now and then.

Still haven't been able to get a replacement because the dealership couldn't duplicate the problem.......again.

Are you guys having your gear replaced no questions asked?? Or are your dealerships mandating a problem duplication?
Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With me, I just described the problem in extreme detail. I told them how often it happened which was a couple times a day. I then asked them what the problem could be. They told me its a known problem and there's a tsb for it. They service guy said they have the parts in stock and the car would be fixed by the next day afternoon. No test drive or duplication was needed in my case
Old 01-04-2009, 08:01 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by RICO_
Or are your dealerships mandating a problem duplication?
yes, mine did

but

maybe some are indeed worse than others, but i know mine was ridiculous and they had no problems dup'ing it.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I had the service done, and its just as the car should've come.
Now the passenger and I dont have to stare at each other with a dirty look while im trying to find 3rd.

Like the poster above I just described the problem in great detail. Even better they were aware of the service bulletin, so it wasnt like a general complaint. They said they would order the parts listed to do the fix, and I brought the car back for service when they came in. Easy as that.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:17 PM
New User

hi anyone in the bay area had this done on their car. i am planning to get mine fix and would like to know if there are any chill dealerships around. thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 PM

I realize this is old news and there has been alot of posts about this, but i just bought a 08 Si Mugen with 10k miles on it and noticed the same problem with third gear. I just came from a 01 Integra type r that never grinded once on me and the Si has that two step shift into third gear on occasion. Just wondering if anyone has heard if Honda "fixed" the problem after all of the issues with the '06 and '07 or if any one else is still having this issue. Also if anyone knows if Honda will address the issue or just turn me away. Thanks.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:25 AM
New User

just took it in and the tech felt the 3rd gear notchiness and it also popped out. didnt leave it over night just parked it there for 2 hours and was able to duplicate the problem the tech was pretty cool about the whole thing so i should get my car back in a few days. i will give some feedbacks on how it feels after. so i guess Capitol Honda is pretty chill.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ChrisB 06
I realize this is old news and there has been alot of posts about this, but i just bought a 08 Si Mugen with 10k miles on it and noticed the same problem with third gear. I just came from a 01 Integra type r that never grinded once on me and the Si has that two step shift into third gear on occasion. Just wondering if anyone has heard if Honda "fixed" the problem after all of the issues with the '06 and '07 or if any one else is still having this issue. Also if anyone knows if Honda will address the issue or just turn me away. Thanks.
I know what you mean. Ive had 20 year old cable trannys that were perfectly smooth. Then to have a brand new car with a tranny quirk was very frustrating.

If the problem is how you say it is, they should be able to help you out. When they do agree the problem is there, its all warranty work and will not cost you anything.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xken
just took it in and the tech felt the 3rd gear notchiness and it also popped out. didnt leave it over night just parked it there for 2 hours and was able to duplicate the problem the tech was pretty cool about the whole thing so i should get my car back in a few days. i will give some feedbacks on how it feels after. so i guess Capitol Honda is pretty chill.
Good deal. Its funny how happy you'll get just to have the car function how it should. Frustrations are gone and now I can enjoy the car.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:07 PM

I got mine fixed last month, probably have 800 miles on it since the fix, no problems. It did suck that my car was in the shop for about 5 days for it, but it was worth it.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ef1.8
I know what you mean. Ive had 20 year old cable trannys that were perfectly smooth. Then to have a brand new car with a tranny quirk was very frustrating.

If the problem is how you say it is, they should be able to help you out. When they do agree the problem is there, its all warranty work and will not cost you anything.
Thanks man, yeah I will have to have Honda drive it to see what they think, It is frustrating because it is damn near brand new and to have to give it attention just to drive it normal when shifting into third seems stupid to me. Thanks for the advise.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM

mines is in the shop overnight they are fixing it at no charge ! my warranty covers it. thank goodness! i cant wait to see how it drives
Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 PM

Does this problems occur with the 08 si sedan models as well??????
Old 01-08-2009, 06:25 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by COCA GROUND ASSAULT NY
Does this problems occur with the 08 si sedan models as well??????
i guess you missed this on the front page hehe

http://www.iammike.org/htmods/A08-020.pdf

check the vin range for 08 si 4dr
Old 01-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by builthatch

http://www.iammike.org/htmods/a08-020.pdf

lol i did .. Thanx ...i got it now...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:18 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by coca ground assault ny
lol i did .. Thanx ...i got it now...
; )
Old 01-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Just printed out the bulletin ... Takin my shyt str8 to the dealer tomorrow morning..........
Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by builthatch

http://www.iammike.org/htmods/A08-020.pdf

Hey thanks for the post for the pdf file from Honda.. I have a question though, on the pdf file it says that its within vin # 2hgfa555.8h700001-2hgfa555.8h702465. Mine falls in this range if i replace the period with a 2. What is with the period between the 555 and the 8? Just curious if this affects me not being able to get mine repaired under warranty.. Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-10-2009, 08:01 AM

Mines is covered went to the dealer yesterday told me i was covered ... Made an appointment to take it in next monday.......

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA