Notices
Honda Civic (2006 - 2015) 2006 - 2015 Civic Forums

third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 06:25 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

Originally Posted by oldB18EF
Other than appealing to the district parts and service manager or zone office for a goodwill repair youll prob have to pony up or do it yourself. Would have been a little over $1200 at the dealer that did mine if warranty didn't cover it for me.
x2

you MIGHT have a better chance if your VIN number is in the range of the TSB, but hopefully they will help you out in a partial manner. hopefully.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL T

My Buddy had same issue...Honda completely Put new Tranny in...Was only 4.5k miles on car
Old 07-09-2011, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you guys know of any write-ups for doing the repair yourself? Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Trial User

So I have been hearing that the 09 si civics don't have a problem with third gear but I seem to be having problems with mine it pops out and grinds from time to time and I just got my si a couple weeks ago
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Trial User

Will upgrading my clutch with lets say a clutchmaster fx200 fix this problem?
Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Need some advice, I have a 2006 SI Coupe that grinds into 3rd (obviously) and I work for the local Honda dealership... trouble is I just purchased this from a competing dealership(yesterday)... Any advice? Ohh btw its not under warranty.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^the service writer where i took mine said if it had a clean carfax with 1 owner you'd have a chance even if you we're past milage/yearage.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by turm0l
Will upgrading my clutch with lets say a clutchmaster fx200 fix this problem?
no
Old 08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys I bought my 2006 FG2 on 8/30/2006 and brought it in on Saturday to Norm Reeves Honda West Covina where I originally purchased my car. I have about 59k miles on it. So i had about 3 days left on my warranty or 1k miles, whichever came first. I had this issue intermittently and switched to Amsoil MTF way back when and the 3rd gear notchy feeling was "mostly" gone. Recently it started acting up so I took it in. They were able to reproduce the issue and ordered the part right away. It was done today when I got off work and they even re-aligned it for me. This Norm Reeves Honda has far better service than the Diamond Honda in Industry where right away they start talking about charges if they inspect the vehicle and don't find anything wrong with it...

So far so good, drove it home and 3rd gear feels smooth and its overall slightly smoother. Its good piece of mind to know there's some new seals and MTF in there as well
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ ive taken my car to both dealers regarding my cmc because it was making weird noises. the only one that did anything was norm reeves. i have the same issue with the grinding but they cant recreate it so no warranty work has been done other than the cmc.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just bought a 07 SI with 35,500 on it. I noticed that when I test drove the car it did grind in 3rd but I didnt think anything of it (thought I was just used to my short shifter). Bought the car from a private seller and I have the clean 1 owner carfax. It was also given an inspection at his dealer before I bought it. I have the paperwork they gave him. What are my chances of getting the dealer to service this and cover the cost?
Old 11-30-2011, 10:54 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by cjk95delsolsi
I just bought a 07 SI with 35,500 on it. I noticed that when I test drove the car it did grind in 3rd but I didnt think anything of it (thought I was just used to my short shifter). Bought the car from a private seller and I have the clean 1 owner carfax. It was also given an inspection at his dealer before I bought it. I have the paperwork they gave him. What are my chances of getting the dealer to service this and cover the cost?
it's still under powertrain warranty, why not?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought my 07 Si coupe 2 weeks ago used w/35000 mi. and started noticing the 3rd gear issue, so i took it back to the dealer were i bought it and the tech who test drove it couldnt feel anything but he was aware of the issue and they are fixing it!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got my local dealer to pay for half of the repair even though it was 12k past warranty. They replaced 3rd gear and I haven't missed a shift since. It was DEFINITELY the same 3rd gear issue.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking at test driving a '07. Is there a specific way to shift to check for the problem, e.g. test if the car in question does have it?
A bit confused: is it only an SI problem, or "can" be an issue on other civics?

Last edited by Hondallover; 02-05-2012 at 08:37 AM. Reason: add question
Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by M1N3R014
So I have been hearing that the 09 si civics don't have a problem with third gear but I seem to be having problems with mine it pops out and grinds from time to time and I just got my si a couple weeks ago
I have a 2010 and I was having the same intermittent grind/pop out. brought my car to Honda, scheduled a tech ride along, didnt grind. he ordered me a new 3rd gear anyway since it was under warranty. shifts like butter now with no grinds since.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Hondallover
I am looking at test driving a '07. Is there a specific way to shift to check for the problem, e.g. test if the car in question does have it?
A bit confused: is it only an SI problem, or "can" be an issue on other civics?
it seems that cars either have it or they don't. what i'm saying is, if you can't find proof of the service being done on autocheck, carfax or in the honda system, and the car doesn't exhibit the issues described with this issue, then you are most likely a-ok. especially an '07...that car might have been on the road almost 6 years already if i was purchased in '06 so if it did have defective parts, i think it would be undriveable at this point!

as far as being in other Civics...the issue is with the six speed transmission, not the model. you'll notice in the TSB they talk about six speed manual Accords going all the way back to 2003...and if my memory is correct RSX also saw this issue for several years.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx for the detailed info, builthatch!
This specifically relating to the 6-speed MT, could it also affect the TSX?
e.g. 04 - 06 models?
Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been having this problem in 2nd and 3rd gear recently in my 08si..especially since it got cold like the TSB says...my question is i have an Injen intake are they gonna hassle me because of that?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:53 AM
Trial User

I just got an 07 civic si with 70k miles on it...i have no problems with grinding gears so far...is this something im gonna have to worry about?
Old 03-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Trial User

i have my 07 SI since it was new and the 3rd gear issue has gotten worst in the winter, by replacing tranny fluid three years ago, it fixed the problem. but in the winter, it's been occur often.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:14 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by Hondallover
Thx for the detailed info, builthatch!
This specifically relating to the 6-speed MT, could it also affect the TSX?
e.g. 04 - 06 models?
i think that is a different trans. i can't recall if it is noted in any TSB but i am pretty sure it isn't.

Originally Posted by EkPudge
I've been having this problem in 2nd and 3rd gear recently in my 08si..especially since it got cold like the TSB says...my question is i have an Injen intake are they gonna hassle me because of that?
depends. the law states that the burden of proof is on them to tie whatever modification to the problem if they suspect the modification to be the cause. i can't see a dealer realistically trying to do that re: an intake and a known trans issue. but each dealer is different - some cause issues and will stall/battle, some don't. hey, you can always appeal to the regional honda rep if you feel you are not being treated fairly.

Originally Posted by Fg2_herrera805
I just got an 07 civic si with 70k miles on it...i have no problems with grinding gears so far...is this something im gonna have to worry about?
like i've said before, i would imagine that if it did have an issue, it would have demonstrated that by now. can't say for sure, but time is a great story teller.

Originally Posted by scarybus320
i have my 07 SI since it was new and the 3rd gear issue has gotten worst in the winter, by replacing tranny fluid three years ago, it fixed the problem. but in the winter, it's been occur often.
i'm sorry to hear that. depending on your in-service date, you could still be covered under the drivetrain warranty which is 5/60, but unless you live somewhere odd, the winter is over and it might be hard for them to replicate the issue. should have taken it in when it was a problem over the past 4-5 winters ; )
Old 05-16-2012, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every body complains about the third gear problems, but everyone I know that has a 06-11 si misses their 2nd gear all the dang time. Is there anything about the 2nd gear from Honda?
Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Originally Posted by kanadiankiller
Every body complains about the third gear problems, but everyone I know that has a 06-11 si misses their 2nd gear all the dang time. Is there anything about the 2nd gear from Honda?
as evidenced by this thread...what you are saying is not very common, haha.

also, imo, missing a gear and coming out of a gear are two very different things.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dnice78
Need some advice, I have a 2006 SI Coupe that grinds into 3rd (obviously) and I work for the local Honda dealership... trouble is I just purchased this from a competing dealership(yesterday)... Any advice? Ohh btw its not under warranty.

With this, it doesn't matter what dealership you bought it from. I got mine from a non-Honda dealership and if you take it into a Honda dealership, they will address the 3rd gear issue... Of course with their VIN quals and what-not.

Quick Reply: third gear issue official discussion thread (3rd, grind, etc) - INCLUDES ACTUAL TSB from HONDA