Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Your advice would be most kind, thank you!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon4 Your advice would be most kind, thank you!!

I have an 03' Civic and last Monday I was driving home and it overheated on me the car was still on but the engine was not running I should also mention there was hardly any smoke and what there was went away fast, tried to start it up a few mins later and the engine came on but didn't roll over. The next morning I came back for it, started right up and I drove it to where where I noticed the needle above the halfway mark, fast forward a few days to Thursday, saw the spring in the radiator cap had fallen out so went to get a new cap thinking it was going to be an easy fix, I drained what coolant was left and filled the radiator back up. Car worked great until Sunday... That day I drove to a friends about 25 mins and the car ran great going there and coming home, I stopped at home to pick up my brother for a dinner and while going there the needle began to creep back up to the red, got to the restaurant checked for leaks and didn't see anything. Had to get the car home and for a majority of the time the temp needle was all the way up, pulled up to the house and as soon as the car stopped smoke came spewing from under the hood, I opened it up and the whole engine was soaked (clearly it was coolant) the overflow tank hose connects right behind the radiator cap and it had come off and that's where the smoke was coming out of. The hose it hooked back up but when I went to re-fill the radiator today I noticed a small drip that I hadn't seen yet, to my best guess which isn't much it's dripping underneath the timing belt maybe close to the crank shaft pulley, but it is coolant. Very small drip, once every 20 sec I haven't had enough time to monitor so the drip could've stopped maybe?, I'm not sure. So after that essay I really just want to know what you're thinking is if it sounds like a big problem or anything I can do to maybe test it put or things to look for, hope i was able to describe it well enough, anywho, thanks for your time!

Oh I attacked a photo, on the bottom of the screen where it lit up from my flashlight is where the drip is, it's of corse on the underside so you cant actually see the drip
Attached Images  
Old 05-07-2016, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Headgasket
Old 05-08-2016, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Your advice would be most kind, thank you!!

Originally Posted by Falloutkid90
Headgasket
I agree on that. May also have a bad thermostat not opening causing no flow in the coolant.