Notices
Honda Minivans, Crossovers, and Trucks Honda Odyssey / Ridgeline / Pilot / HR-V
Acura MDX / RDX

Overheating in My Odyssey - What could be wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overheating in My Odyssey - What could be wrong?

So my wife called me frantic pulled over on the highway saying that the Odyssey - a 1997 was smoking and overheating. I probed a bit more and found out it was coolant from the smell she noted.. so I went up there and found that the radiator cap was damaged and stuck on pretty good. It looks to have melted the rubber grommet that seals it to the radiator.. I replaced the cap - added some fluid and did my best to burp it on the side of the road. Made it almost all the way home on the highway until I pulled off onto a side road and came to a stop. The car started to hesitate and smoke (white smoke) and smelled like coolant. So was pretty sure it had failed again. It died and I had it towed home. Popped the top and used my no-spill funnel and attachment to try to burp the system again. I did this for about 90 minutes going from a ferocious boil to a slow simmer. Had to move the car so I tried to put the cap back on and start it to move it into the driveway about 5 feet away and it died twice and spat coolant out from under the radiator cap.

I did notice some white smoke from the exhaust when I first got it home and started burping it although it did quickly dissipate and I can clearly see it dripping and blowing out from the radiator cap.

I'm ridiculously low on funds and need to fix this myself -- could you guys point me towards some solutions that it could be?

The fans were kicking on and the car did not overheat when I was burping it at home. I did have the temp set to hot the whole time.

208k on the odometer, not sure if everything is original but it's got the f22b6 in it

Thanks yall!
Old 06-06-2019, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Overheating in My Odyssey - What could be wrong?

If you smell coolant from the exhaust, guess how it got there? Blown head gasket. Honda goes full Ford on its customers.