Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

2007 Accord Randomly Loses All Electrical Power - I Drive a Lot, Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 11:10 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Accord Randomly Loses All Electrical Power - I Drive a Lot, Please Help

Hi guys and gals. I'm sure you all have heard of this issue, but I'm only asking because two different shops have told me nothing is wrong. The issue has happened 3 different times, all about 3-4 weeks apart.

First time I was coming to a stop sign and all electrical just shut off. I tried starting it immediately and it would not. Tried it again about 5 minutes later and it ran fine. Took it to a shop where they found no problem. The check engine light DID NOT come on. The hazards did work.

Second time I was driving slowly and I lost power for a split second. Everything just shut off and came back on. Luckily, I was able to pull into a gas station where the car died. Again, I tried strating it immediately and it wouldn't turn over. I waited about 2 minutes and it started. A buddy of mine checked my battery connections, one of which he was able to just pull off. I checked to see if the alternator would run while the battery is disconnected and it did. I tightened the battery connector.

Today, about a month after the previous events, I was driving about 30 mph, and it shut down for the split second. I quickly pulled over, turned off the car and sat for a few minutes. I got to my destination just fine. Upon leaving, it started doing it again while idling. I quickly pulled over, turned it off and on again and drove to a car shop. Nothing reads on diagnostic tests because the Check Engine Light does not come on. I heard things like ignition switch/ignition coil, possibly alternator. I then drove to work about 20 minutes away with no issues.

Upon leaving work, it happened again. The car work shut down. I'd turned it off an then on again. Drove home just fine.

I admit the battery has been changed fairly recently (last 4 months?) because the car was having issues turning over.

Please help. I drive a lot. I also have to take it in for the airbag recall. Would that affect it?

Thank you, in advance.

Jeff
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 2007 Accord Randomly Loses All Electrical Power - I Drive a Lot, Please Help

I'd start with re-checking all ends of both battery cables to be sure they are clean and tight.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:09 PM
Trial User

Default Re: 2007 Accord Randomly Loses All Electrical Power - I Drive a Lot, Please Help

Thanks poorman. I have not had a chance to do that. I will probably just replace the battery cables and clean the terminals.

It happened again this morning. I sat in car while idling and in reverse, and the whole car died. The Check Engine Light came on and blinked about 5 times then went out. Took it to Auto Zone to read the codes, and there were no codes available.

Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sound to me like a bad ignition switch. Youtube bad Honda ignition switch and see if any of those symptoms are what you're seeing.