Notices
Honda Accord & Crosstour (2003 - 2012) 2003 - 2012 Honda Accord and Inspire

03 Accord moonroof help

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Accord moonroof help

First time here, I am trying to help my mother with her Accord. I did a search using a few different combinations of the words "accord", "moonroof" and "broken" and could not find anything. A few months ago she tried to open the moon roof, and all it did was tilt. After that, she could not get it closed. She took it to the dealership and they got it closed, but could not find the issue. I was wondering if this is a common failure, or if anyone has had a similar problem? Any help would be great.

03 Honda Accord EX
98,000 mi
Auto, I-4
Let me know if you need any more details.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 03 Accord moonroof help

If fuses 21 and 28 are good, based on what you have described I would guess that the moonroof open relay is faulty. Of course without testing it is impossible to know. You could always swap the moonroof open relay for the close relay for free. However these relays are hidden behind the headliner. And if the open relay is the problem the moonroof will be stuck open and unable to close without reswapping relays. With skill and finesse these can be replaced without removing the headliner. There are known problems with the limit switches in that year but the symptoms described don't equal limit switch.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:54 AM

thanks you for the responce. I am pretty comfortable with basic electronics, so I will give this a try. Any idea where i can find a tech manual online for free (to locate these relays under the headliner)?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just so you know (any one who searched in the future), there's a tool that's in the jack kit in the trunk. See the funny looking "S" in the tool kit below:

There's a small plastic peice that you'll have to remove on the roof from the back seat. it's about the size of a half dollar. You can open/close the roof manually with that tool. Details can be found in your owners manual.

As far as the service manual goes, I'm not too sure there. You could easily buy one online. Or if you'd like you might be able to get a copy of just the pages you need at the honda dealer from their shop manual.
Haynes makes a very good service manual for not so much money:
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/195
Old 11-25-2009, 07:34 AM

more good info. I have been lucky enough to find the shop manuals for all my cars (all mazdas) online, but since they are not hondas, I am unsure where to look. I have been generally disapointed with Haynes manuals in the past, and was looking for a copy of the actual Honda service and tech manual. I will prob take a look at the car today. wish me luck.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*Edit*
Found a place that sells the same manual used in dealerships:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/accmaint03.html

Also to note I've had pretty good success with the helms manuals that I used when I had my 1993 honda accord. really helped me find what to look for and how to fix stuff with the correct torque specs.

Last edited by PowerUser; 11-25-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Needed to revise "couldn't find anything"
Old 11-26-2009, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by PowerUser
Just so you know (any one who searched in the future), there's a tool that's in the jack kit in the trunk. See the funny looking "S" in the tool kit below:

There's a small plastic peice that you'll have to remove on the roof from the back seat. it's about the size of a half dollar. You can open/close the roof manually with that tool. Details can be found in your owners manual.

As far as the service manual goes, I'm not too sure there. You could easily buy one online. Or if you'd like you might be able to get a copy of just the pages you need at the honda dealer from their shop manual.
Haynes makes a very good service manual for not so much money:
http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/195
This tool kit is not in the car. There is a little bag with the jack handle and the lug nut wrench, but that is it.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by solidtrance
This tool kit is not in the car. There is a little bag with the jack handle and the lug nut wrench, but that is it.
Not all Hondas have that tool kit. Most are just the little bag; but, it should have the moonroof wrench though.
Attached Images   
Old 11-26-2009, 08:32 AM

Redbull,

That is exactly what there is. thanks you for the descriptive pictures of the moon roof mechanical retraction procedure.

I am still looking for some description of how to remove the headliner. I'm sure it is just clips, but without knowing where the clips are the project will take a bit longer. I will dive in to this on Saturday, with or without more information. I will try to take some pictures and post them here, os it will be easier for the next person that has to attempt this project.

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

03 Honda Accord EX
98,000 mi
Auto, I-4
Let me know if you need any more details.
Two-door or four-door?
Old 11-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I'm well aware, however that's the only picture I could quickly find online at any decent resolution.

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Not all Hondas have that tool kit. Most are just the little bag; but, it should have the moonroof wrench though.
Thank you very much for adding that to the thread redbull!
Old 11-26-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Two-door or four-door?
4 door.

I knew I forgot something.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would not remove the headliner. Instead I would just pull the rear of it down enought to access those relays. They are not that far forward of the rear glass.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Trial User

I had a 2003 Honda Accord EX 4DR and the sunroof would open but would not close using the close button. Had to use the tilt up switch button to close it. After doing the research, i was able to find a TSB with a repair for the problem which seems to be common. It calls for the replacement of "Moonroof Limit Switch" but Honda Dealer had no such part listed so did some more research and found the part number and they listed it as "Sunroof Tilter Switch". Had to drop the rear of the sunroof as the part was located right behind the rear interior light and replacing the part resolved the problem. Part is #18 on the sunroof assembly diagram.
Old 11-27-2013, 02:06 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by DMCMotorCompany
I had a 2003 Honda Accord EX 4DR and the sunroof would open but would not close using the close button. Had to use the tilt up switch button to close it. After doing the research, i was able to find a TSB with a repair for the problem which seems to be common. It calls for the replacement of "Moonroof Limit Switch" but Honda Dealer had no such part listed so did some more research and found the part number and they listed it as "Sunroof Tilter Switch". Had to drop the rear of the sunroof as the part was located right behind the rear interior light and replacing the part resolved the problem. Part is #18 on the sunroof assembly diagram.
The Honda part number was listed in the service bulletin, Honda part number: 70431-SEA-A01.