Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Thermostat will not open

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat will not open

96 Accord EX 2.2 vtec - Car is running at normal operating temperature - thermostat will not open causing heater to run inadequately. Car is not overheating at all. Thermostat has been replaced three times (all thermostats are in operating order) just not when in vehicle. Car seems to be running cool. I just recently purchased this vehicle and replaced head gasket, timing belt, water pump and radiator; reverse flushed the heater core. Any ideas - help.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Thermostat will not open

If your thermostat wasn't opening your car would be overheating in no short time and you would be needing another head or engine.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Patk
96 Accord EX 2.2 vtec - Car is running at normal operating temperature - thermostat will not open causing heater to run inadequately. Car is not overheating at all. Thermostat has been replaced three times (all thermostats are in operating order) just not when in vehicle. Car seems to be running cool. I just recently purchased this vehicle and replaced head gasket, timing belt, water pump and radiator; reverse flushed the heater core. Any ideas - help.

From the symptoms you're describing it sounds more like the thermostat will not close. i.e. - not getting up to temp/ running cool.

Maybe the water control valve isn't opening and not allowing coolant/water into the heater core. Check it's operation.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
If your thermostat wasn't opening your car would be overheating in no short time and you would be needing another head or engine.
The thermostat is NOT opening, working 45 miles one way from my house when i get there both radiator hoses are still under pressure top hose is hot, lower hose is cool to the touch. It is NOT overheating.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JamesB1985
From the symptoms you're describing it sounds more like the thermostat will not close. i.e. - not getting up to temp/ running cool.

Maybe the water control valve isn't opening and not allowing coolant/water into the heater core. Check it's operation.
The thermostat is NOT OPENING. I run 47 miles one way to work when I get there both radiator hoses are still under pressure, upper radiator is hose is hot, lower radiator hose is cool to the touch --- but it is NOT overheating. The valve is fine I already checked it. Any ideas.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:32 PM
RESIDENT

Sounds like you have a gnarly air bubble in the heater core. I had that happen to my Integra. Jack the front of the car up when bleeding the system to help any air bubbles come out. Doesn't hurt to tap your thermo housing with a rubber mallet when your car warms up.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you put the thermostat in boiling water to see if it'll open? Also, bleed your coolant.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd bleed the cooling system with the Lisle Spill Free Funnel -
Amazon Amazon
, the best for Honda's in my opinion for a good amount of time. At least until radiator fans come on twice.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gqstatus05
Did you put the thermostat in boiling water to see if it'll open? Also, bleed your coolant.
Yes, I put a 170 in it and it opens at 170 in boiling water. I bled the coolant also.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like your heater core is clogged. You're not leaking coolant on the passenger side rug right? You can take a hose and flush the heater core and let it cool. Take the hoses off and put the hose in the inlet tube and flush it with water. Start slow, don't blast it with water. Increase flow a little until it releases whatever is trapped in there. Make sure when you reassemble the hoses you leave the rad cap open and turn on the car until it warms up. Add coolant if necessary and see if heat is coming out. If so, you're good. Make sure the cap is off so it can burp if it needs to.

Did that make sense?

FYI: Buy a 4-5FT piece of water hose from Autozon and hook it up to the inlet. You can then use a garden hose and feed the water through that hose to the heater core so you don't wet everything in your bay. You can clamp the hose to the inlet so that it doesn't get lose and splashes water everywhere under your bay. Let me see if I can find a video on YT.

Last edited by gqstatus05; 03-06-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe a problem with the controls with-in the heater panel - i.e. Air Mix Control Cable, or one of the Mode Doors not working properly because of Mode Control Motor on the way out/ working intermittently.

I don't understand how your car is running cool if the thermostat is not opening. It should be getting up to proper temperature if it's stuck closed. On one side your saying it's running cool but on the other end you're saying its stuck closed, it should be one or the other to me.

The blower motor is running right? Is it running in all speeds properly?

If the blower motor is working and you are getting low or intermittent heat it has to be a few things: 1.) Clogged Heater Duct
2.) Clogged Heater Outlet
3.) Incorrect Door Position
Old 03-06-2013, 12:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by Patk
Quote:

The thermostat is NOT opening, working 45 miles one way from my house when i get there both radiator hoses are still under pressure top hose is hot, lower hose is cool to the touch. It is NOT overheating.
if u already know what the problem is, why are you asking for?

do you really think that three thermostats are all going to be bad? does that really make sense?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 03-06-2013, 03:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u already know what the problem is, why are you asking for?

do you really think that three thermostats are all going to be bad? does that really make sense?

TRUTH.

That's why I said I don't understand... Something fishy about this post...
Old 03-06-2013, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Similar but he does it a different method.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Maybe you put the thermostats in backwards each time. And as was started earlier. Your thermostat IS ******* opening otherwise you're God damn car would overheat.

The problem you might have (which i have seen before on a D16Z6) is your water pump inlet tube might have a clog in it that branches out to the throttle body or manifold not allowing a by pass of water. Hell the bypass hose itself may be clogged.

It's the horse shoe shaped tube under the throttle body. It's a ten dollar part. Check all that. If the po ran any kind of radiator stop leak it could have clogged a number of things. Seen it first hand

Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

what's happening is that he thinks because a thermostat is called a "thermostat" that it controls the temperature of the heater