Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 civic Overheating issue

Hello,

I have a 2001 honda civic 1.7L SOHC VTEC. I changed the timing belt, water pump, radiator w/fans, thermostat, head gasket, but the car is still overheating. Main issue I’m having that is noticeable is that coolant keeps on bursting out of the radiator like a volcano; (bubbling) with the fan kicking in. It doesn’t cool down. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Thekid184; 08-19-2018 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Overheating issue

Headgasket, RIP, welcome to the D17 life.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 01 civic Overheating issue

Originally Posted by Thekid184
Hello,

I have a 2001 honda civic 1.7L SOHC VTEC. I changed the timing belt, water pump, radiator w/fans, thermostat, head gasket, but the car is still overheating. Main issue I’m having that is noticeable is that coolant keeps on bursting out of the radiator like a volcano; (bubbling) with the fan kicking in. It doesn’t cool down. Any help will be appreciated.
------------------
I had similar symptoms on my 02 Civic LX 1.7. The cause was NOT a blown HG but a WARPED CYLINDER HEAD.
I pulled the head, had a local machine shop shave off 0.006" (for $40) and reinstalled the head with OEM gaskets.
All leaks are now sealed. The car now runs EXACTLY as it should. Plenty of power, smooth idle, high gas mileage. :-)
Use OEM parts exclusively. Follow the Factory Service Manual TO THE LETTER. And you too will succeed.

Last edited by Tim1959; 09-02-2018 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Old 09-03-2018, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed. You either didn't do the head gasket correctly or the head and/or the block are warped. I just recently had to do a head gasket twice because I opted for a cheaper Evergreen brand head gasket and head bolts and I wasn't careful enough.
  1. I ended up ordering another Honda OEM head gasket and head bolts. They were way better quality parts. I also cleaned the head bolt threads meticulously to prevent them from popping when torquing.
  2. If they popped when you torqued them then you likely didn't get them all torqued correctly. The only way to prevent this popping is to use good quality bolts, clean the bolt holes with a bottoming tap (this is important so that you get all the threads all the way to the bottom of the hole; bottoming taps are not commonly available so you'll have to probably order one), and to lubricate the bolt threads and both sides of the washer. I used Anti-Seize for the washer which worked well.
  3. You also have to make absolutely certain that the head surface, block surface are perfectly flat and perfectly clean. I used brake parts cleaner to clean the surfaces.
  4. Make sure the head gasket is right side up (usually the label or serial number up) and make sure the head gasket is perfectly clean and free of any fluids or lubricants.
  5. Carefully set the head on making sure nothing drips on the head gasket and don't move it around on top of the dowel pins to find the hole or you'll mar the surface.
  6. Be meticulous in torquing the head bolts according to the pattern and the torque specs. It's almost like performing surgery. Be careful and meticulous and you'll get it to seal.
  7. Good luck!
Old 07-06-2020, 04:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 02 ex with same issues... but only happens sometimes. i think ac comp is goin out , it sometimes will engage, and the fan wont come on at those moments. i kno the cars not acc like it should its very sluggish on take offs.new coils new plugs new fuel pump new alternator new valve cover gasket and plug seals, just washed n waxed it n still nothing... now its starting harder than normal and will stall out sometimes...