Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Speedometer/odometer intermittent and blinking light

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer/odometer intermittent and blinking light

90 accord. Speedometer and both odometers stop after call has been driven 4miles or so and Power light (option on automatic on shifter) starts to blink. After several miles, speedometer and odometers come back, but light continues to blink until car is shut off and then restarted. If there just a relay on the side of transmission that needs to be changed. The BLINKING light also once occured when I blew a hose, so I am assuming that that relay got wet at that point, and with 160K on the vehicle, it needs to be replaced. Do NOT want to break down.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, OKPJ (Philadelphia suburbs)
Old 12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer/odometer intermittent and blinking light (okpj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by okpj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">90 accord. Speedometer and both odometers stop after call has been driven 4miles or so and Power light (option on automatic on shifter) starts to blink. After several miles, speedometer and odometers come back, but light continues to blink until car is shut off and then restarted. If there just a relay on the side of transmission that needs to be changed. The BLINKING light also once occured when I blew a hose, so I am assuming that that relay got wet at that point, and with 160K on the vehicle, it needs to be replaced. Do NOT want to break down.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance, OKPJ (Philadelphia suburbs)</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like u might have an issue with the V.S.SENSOR read the code and post it here
Old 12-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: Speedometer/odometer intermittent and blinking light (deserthonda)

I do not have the equipment to read any codes, but I appreciate the response. I will share with my mechanic. thank you.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Speedometer/odometer intermittent and blinking light - other question (deserthonda)

My vehicle was purchased with a blown engine, and a Prelude engine was put in it. The yard that supplied the engine claimed it was a 93 or 94 engine, but they are 1000 miles away. I asked Honda how I could tell and got lip service that they could not tell, which I of course thought was bull and unprofessional. Honda can't tell which engine is in a car somehow? Is there not an engine number somewhere? It has not mattered to date. Once when I needed a distributor it was hard to match them up, but we did. Anyway I can investigate this and know so when it matters I can get the right parts?
Old 12-09-2005, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer/odometer intermittent and blinking light (okpj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by okpj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do not have the equipment to read any codes, but I appreciate the response. I will share with my mechanic. thank you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

all u need to read the code is a paper clip.. under the right side of dash on the passenger kick panel there is a blue plug ..it could have some blue tape around it has 2 wires going to it,, jump those 2 wires together, put the key on and read the flashes on the instrument cluster ...a long flash = 10 a short flash = 1 ,, so 1 long and 4 shorts would be code 14 .. etc etc ,, hope this helps..but since you are going to share it with your mechanic , he should know this already ...