Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL
Old 03-25-2015, 09:28 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 02:16 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life.

Wife's 06 Accord Service Light came up and the digital message said oil life @ 15%.

Questions:

1. We had the oil changed at non-Honda dealer over a month ago. Does this indicator really measure the oil life, or is it just a service clock based on total miles driven.

2. Can it be reset? Both the service wrench light and the indicator?
Note: I'm at work now, and I can look at the manual at home later. But I'll include it in case you guys know off hand.

TIA

Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life. (GoLowDrew)

The owner's manual should answer your questions. I don't know how valid the "% life" thing is. In earlier models the maintanence required indicator was based purely on miles accumulated since the last time it was reset. I would think yours is the same. It would take a very complex system to actually measure the quality and life of engine oil.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 PM

the dealer should have reset it for you,,,,,,,,,take it back and have them do it..

but also as stated , there is the procedure in the owners manual

mY advice DO NOT go by that stupid oil life reminder lite.. go by the mileage that you drive,, change oil and filter every 3k-3.5 k miles
The following users liked this post:
Old 10-20-2006, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoLowDrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Does this indicator really measure the oil life, or is it just a service clock based on total miles driven.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
The ecu calculates oil life based on the driving style of of the driver. I'm interested to see how well it works out after they have been around for a few years.

To reset the system: Turn the ignition switch on, press the odometer reset button until the display shows oil life% then press and hold the button until the display starts flashing (about 10-15 seconds) then release and press the button again and hold till it resets. (about 5 seconds)
Old 10-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life. (Chiovnidca)

It has been around since at least 2004 on Acuras.

Moreover, I have just rolled past 5K miles on my 2006 Accord, I am at 50% life right now. I am a commute 85 miles each day. I am bringing the car in for its first oil change at 30% life. Basically, the dealer I bought the car from said go by what the dash board says, it takes driving style, number of cold starts etc into consideration.

And yes I am having Honda do the oil changes so everything is documented incase something comes up in the future.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 PM

Well... The maintenance reminder system in the new Honda's are very sophisticated. The calculate the life of your oil according to your driving conditions. The system actually knows when your oil needs to be changed, tires need rotating, air filter and cabin air filter need changing. It looks at engine load rpm, coolant temp, intake air temp, mass air flow and such and then calculates when such services are needed. I was skeptic at first too, but I've noticed that it seems to work correctly. I've done a few service A and B's along with 1 and 2's. And to tell you the truth, the tires did need rotating, air filters were dirty, and sure enough, the oil was dirty.

Here's the skinny though.. 15% means it's time to schedule your oil change.. It doesn't mean change it now. As far as aftermarket shops and DIY'ers.. If they don't perform the recommended services when the maintenance minder recommends it, Honda dealers are not obligated to reset the OIL LIFE indicator for you. Because if you do reset the maintenance minder and don't do the required services, it throws the system off. This is because the system doesn't know as to whether or not you've actually done the services. The Honda dealer can charge you at least an hour to plug in the HDS and reset everything to the correct intervals.

So in other words, don't be too suprised if your local Honda dealers show you the door when you ask for them to reset the Oil Life indicator because Joe Somebody changed your oil.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:59 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life. (PnX-R)

It's very easy to reset the oil life indicator by following the procedure outlined in the owner's manual.

The oil life indicator is not an <u>absolute</u> indicator of oil life, but it is much more accurate than just going by the mileage, and it does take driving habits into consideration, as other posters have indicated.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life. (Chiovnidca)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Chiovnidca &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The ecu calculates oil life based on the driving style of of the driver. I'm interested to see how well it works out after they have been around for a few years.
</TD></TR></TABLE>That type of system's been around for awhile on Saabs too. Couple things about it...

It doesn't actually MEASURE anything about your oil. (you already knew that...)

Since it's only a calculations of driving habits, revolution counters, # of cold starts, plus whatever else is programmed, it should be a REAL good indicator of oil life.

If you put in the wrong kind of oil (non-synth in the case of the Saabs) it will continue to do it's calculations ASSUMING the proper oil is in there. It can't tell the difference.

If you don't trust the long intervals, all you have to do is decide to change your oil when the indicator gets down to 30%, or 50%, or whatever. Then you can still take advantage of it's calculations & keeping track of driving habits.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Service Light - wrench. Oil at 15% life.

how safe is it to drive when it says B12 service and a wrench light? also what does -99999 miles mean? how many miles can i still drive it and what will happen?
Old 08-03-2014, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesn't actually say B12 it says B and 1 and 2.

Ir is saying it needs a B service along with sub items 1 and 2.

This is not a failure code it is telling you the car needs routine maintenance.

Your owners manual will list what those maintenance items are in the maintenance minder section. if you don't have the manual go to: owners.honda.com they have them online there.

Tiffany Sato, it helps to state year and model to get most accurate answers.

And for the forum police I know this is an 8 year old thread. Be nice to new members. At least they used the search feature.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

good information.