Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Rear Disc Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Disc Brake Adjustment

I have a 97 Accord LX V6 with rear disc brakes, I just replaced the rear pads and I was wondering what adjusts the rear brakes. I know on a drum brake car hitting the brakes in reverse adjusts the shoes to compensate for wear, But it doesn't look like that's the case for the Disc brakes on my Accord. Is it the parking brake, and if so should I be using it more often?
Old 11-04-2006, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Rear Disc Brake Adjustment (jmk64)

rear brakes are self-adjusting, you dont need to do anything, pushing the brake pedal is all youve got to do. so as long as you use your brakes they should always be adjusted..
Old 11-04-2006, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rear Disc Brake Adjustment (Hcivic88)

they are self adjusting but if you just change a fresh pad, check the ebrake cable, you might be a tad too tight with the adjustment.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Rear Disc Brake Adjustment (iam7head)

If you are familiar with the action of the seal around the piston of a disc brake caliper, when you apply the brake pressure the piston is pushed out and it does all the work to stop the car, the piston also drags the piston seal along with its range of motion, the seal kind of twists. When you release the brake pedal the twisted seal pulls the piston back into its resting position, straightening out the seal, moving the piston and pad just slightly away from the rotor. Some pistons on the back of the car have a different design but the principle is the same, force the piston out and an inner reactive force pulls it back into its resting position. As the pad wears, the piston just keeps pushing out further and further but always retracts the same small amount to its resting position, as you know the self adjusting motion is minute with days and months of brake wear. And of course there are sometimes mechanical and/or hydraulic issues that prevent proper brake release and lock up the brakes in the bad caliper and increase the wear time of these pads or pad. By comparing brake pad wear from the left side to the right side you can get an idea of the caliper condition and make an informed decision if the calipers need to be rebuilt, this should always get done as a set, never rebuild just one side. Lack of fluid flushes is usually the main problem then lack of preventive maintenance by disassembling portions of the caliper to clean and lube certain sections is the next leading cause of premature pad wear, well who knows, maybe it just your driving style thats killing your pads.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Rear Disc Brake Adjustment (Duane_in_Japan)

Thanks for the answers guys. I've never done rear Disc brakes before and I was curious on how they adjusted. It makes too much sense that they adjust like front Disc's.................LOL.