Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

accord doesn't start. help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default accord doesn't start. help!!!

hi,

i have a problem on my hands...my 4th gen accord wont start. it's a 1990 manual 2 door exr)

its been sitting there in my garage for well over a year now possibly even 2 years(my memory is fuzzy.) with no proper storage techniques used.. . i'm no mechanic but i did some diagnostics along with my pops and we thought it was the starter so we had it rebuilt. ok so now the starter rebuilt and in and when we try to start it the car sounds like its turning over and the spark plugs are new and are getting spark because we tested that too with a screw driver. i researched around the internet and found out that it could be a fuel problem so i listened to hear if i could hear the fuel pump buzzing when the key was in the ON position, and if my ears are working correctly, i hear no buzz back there near the gas tank... although i've never heard a fuel pump buzz in my life so i can't really judge what i'm looking for but there is NO NOISE back there at all.

now what im wondering is what you guys think has gone bad by just sitting there to cause the fuel pump to stop working? surely the fuel pump couldn't break when it hasn't even been used since the last time i turned it on(btw the car was was working but idling funny when it was last running). i've done more research and i've learned that it could also be the main fuel relay or 2 fuses related to the relay and pump, where can these fuses be found and you experts think my main fuel relay is the problem? i heard the relay only acts up in warm weather but its fairly cold where i live right now so how could it be the main relay? although it did go through a summer or possibly 2 atleast in that garage.

where would you guys say the problem is most likely originating from? i mean i don't wanna replace the fuel pump(which i hear is a pain to replace) only to find out it wasnt the pump but some stupid fuse. i'm almost 90% sure its a fuel problem i just don't know where the problem is originating from.

all help will be appreciated and thanx in advance.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:08 PM
In a Junkyard near you.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you have spark it's probably the main relay.
Turn the key to the on position (just before start) and watch the check engine light when it goes off you should hear a "click" from the dashboard below you. If you hear no click it's the main relay. Go to your dealer and pick up a new one. (Aftermarket main relays are no good)
Old 01-12-2006, 07:21 PM

Default Re: accord doesn't start. help!!! (LSV84)

The 2-year-old gas in the tank is CRAP! After a certain amount of time fuel deteriorates (usually 8 months - 1year) Drain out the old fuel, check the injectors for clogging, and put fresh fuel in. If the injectors are clogged, just get new ones. If this doesn't work, then the problem lies in your fuel pump.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also check you ground wires, mainly the one from the transaxle to the car body....
Old 01-12-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to prove it is lack of fuel, you can shoot some berrymans carb cleaner in the intake snorkle tube and see if it will fire off on the fumes. a propane torch will do the same. inject the gas while cranking at open throttle, if you are getting fuel pressure you should be able to prove it by opening the fuel rail fitting slightly[wrap a rag around it] and turning on the key. If indeed you are getting nasty fuel the spark plugs will be soaked and won't fire correctly.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:19 PM

Default Re: (MooGoCow3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MooGoCow3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Since you have spark it's probably the main relay.
Turn the key to the on position (just before start) and watch the check engine light when it goes off you should hear a "click" from the dashboard below you. If you hear no click it's the main relay. Go to your dealer and pick up a new one. (Aftermarket main relays are no good)</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok i just tried what you sayed.. when the engine light goes off i do hear a slight click but i'm very unsure if its the same click you're talking about. this click sounds like its originating from the engine light in the dash itself just turning off because it sounds pretty much like the same clicking noise when your turning signal light is blinking off or when you turn your key off and the parking lights turns off... same sort of "click".

could you please further describe this clicking noise? is it very pronounced and distinguished?

Modified by LSV84 at 9:39 PM 1/12/2006
Old 01-12-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: accord doesn't start. help!!! (voiceinurhead05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by voiceinurhead05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The 2-year-old gas in the tank is CRAP! After a certain amount of time fuel deteriorates (usually 8 months - 1year) Drain out the old fuel, check the injectors for clogging, and put fresh fuel in. If the injectors are clogged, just get new ones. If this doesn't work, then the problem lies in your fuel pump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i added some new gas(although not a whole lot only like 10$ worth) and we put in water remover and some fuel treatment stuff. and i dont think there was a whole bunch of gas in there when it was put in the garage.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:42 PM

Default Re: accord doesn't start. help!!! (momstaxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by momstaxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also check you ground wires, mainly the one from the transaxle to the car body....</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to prove it is lack of fuel, you can shoot some berrymans carb cleaner in the intake snorkle tube and see if it will fire off on the fumes. a propane torch will do the same. inject the gas while cranking at open throttle, if you are getting fuel pressure you should be able to prove it by opening the fuel rail fitting slightly[wrap a rag around it] and turning on the key. If indeed you are getting nasty fuel the spark plugs will be soaked and won't fire correctly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll give these a try in the morning when it's not pitch black..
Old 01-12-2006, 09:08 PM

i dont happen to have tera cards, but i believe i can see the future on this one, im definitly seeing this guy coming back and telling us its his fuel pump.

not to worry, as the worst part about replacing your fuel pump is having to pay for it, haha. If you need to consider a do it yourself replacement of your fuel pump, heres what youll need.

1. Ratchet and Wrench set with a universal joint
2. Wooden or bolt dowels (to clog hoses and keep fuel from coming out)
3. Hose clamp pliers and or screwdriver
4. Gasket sealer

and of course your tubing or open end wrenchs..

if you require help during the process come back, and i myself or someone else can help you out.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Default Re: accord doesn't start. help!!! (HondaMike17)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaMike17 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont happen to have tera cards, but i believe i can see the future on this one, im definitly seeing this guy coming back and telling us its his fuel pump.

not to worry, as the worst part about replacing your fuel pump is having to pay for it, haha. If you need to consider a do it yourself replacement of your fuel pump, heres what youll need.

1. Ratchet and Wrench set with a universal joint
2. Wooden or bolt dowels (to clog hoses and keep fuel from coming out)
3. Hose clamp pliers and or screwdriver
4. Gasket sealer

and of course your tubing or open end wrenchs..

if you require help during the process come back, and i myself or someone else can help you out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whoa man i seriously hope its not the fuel pump because i've heard its one SOB to replace and you could even blow yourself up in the process. i'm hoping that's a last resort situation and i think i'll back off and pay some mechanic to do it because the most experience i've had with car repair is changing spark plugs, oil, batteries, fuel filters, etc. none of this removing large gas tanks in the freezing cold..

i really hope its the main fuel relay. actually i pray its the main fuel relay. btw hondamike how would you describe the click coming from the main relay after the engine light turns off? does it sound like a blinker click or something more distinguishable?
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 PM

id say it resembles the sound of your blinker, difference is its only 1 click and it seems to last a little longer and fade off.

sorry about pushing that info on you, wasnt aware that you had minor experience but its all good. good luck on this one man, i hope its your relay too since now if its not youll be sending it to a mechanic..