Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

2000 Accord Coupe Dome Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Accord Coupe Dome Light Issue

Hey guys,

Having a problem with my dome light in my 2000 Accord EX Coupe.

For some reason, the light stays on when the door is closed, not sure why this is happening, but the 3 way switch is in the Auto position, and the light stays on with both doors closed. Same with the On position (which is obviously expected.) The dome light only turns off when the switch is in the off position.

I have tried manually depressing both of the plunger switches in the door jambs, but nothing. Also, the rubber boot on both switches is still in good shape with no cracking, so I'm not sure if there's corrosion behind it or not.

Any suggestions, or even a step by step would be great.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 2000 Accord Coupe Dome Light Issue

4 possibilities I can think of

1) shorted switch between center and on positions of the switch
2) wire from light assembly to passengers multiplex control unit shorted to ground ( black wire with white tracer)
3) bad passengers or drivers multiplex control unit
4) door switch or wire shorted to ground

The door switches apply a ground to the multiplex control units. The passengers control unit applies the ground to the light when the passengers door is open. The drivers control module tells the passengers to turn on the light when the drivers door is open.

Why so complicated, basically so the light can be turned on with the keyless remote.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by belairbrian
4 possibilities I can think of

1) shorted switch between center and on positions of the switch
2) wire from light assembly to passengers multiplex control unit shorted to ground ( black wire with white tracer)
3) bad passengers or drivers multiplex control unit
4) door switch or wire shorted to ground

The door switches apply a ground to the multiplex control units. The passengers control unit applies the ground to the light when the passengers door is open. The drivers control module tells the passengers to turn on the light when the drivers door is open.

Why so complicated, basically so the light can be turned on with the keyless remote.
Ok, I will have to check those things. Let me ask you this question though. After I saw the chopped up mess of the wiring harness for the stereo, I'm worried about looking under the dash. So are there any wires under the dash that could possibly cause this issue? I feel like this guy just cut up wires for the fun of it, and I'm afraid of what might be under the dash lol.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:11 PM
Global Moderator

Received 420 Likes on 390 Posts

Here's a quick check you can do. Open one door at a time, then remove the individual door switch (only one screw hold it in) from the car body. The base of the switch is grounded to the car's body. You do not have to disconnect the wire. Does the dome light go out? Reinstall the door switch then repeat with the other door switch.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tech8
Here's a quick check you can do. Open one door at a time, then remove the individual door switch (only one screw hold it in) from the car body. The base of the switch is grounded to the car's body. You do not have to disconnect the wire. Does the dome light go out? Reinstall the door switch then repeat with the other door switch.
I will do that first thing in the morning. I'm assuming this tells you that the switch itself is what is shorted and grounding out.