Notices
Hawaii & Asia-Pacific Hawaiian / Pacific Islands

U.H. Football

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default U.H. Football

Current record is 9-0. And 6-0 in the WAC. Is this the best U.H. football team in history?
Old 11-16-2007, 08:49 AM
Old Member

Default Re: U.H. Football (GoLowDrew)

QB Colt Brennan is tied with Ty Detmer for the NCAA career touchdown passing record so far. If he plays tonight against Nevada, a new NCAA record could be set.

The last QB Tim Chang broke Ty Detmer's NCAA all-time career passing yard record (15,031) in 2004, to set a new record of 17,072.

People on the mainland still don't give Hawaii credit. Hawaii means College Football.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:53 AM
Old Member

10-0 with no love in the polls.

http://starbulletin.com/2007/1....html
Old 11-21-2007, 06:29 AM
Old Member

http://media.www.kaleo.org/med...shtml

This Friday's game vs Boise State (10-1) will determine the WAC title, and of course BCS. The last time Hawaii lost was also against Boise State.

Game on ESPN2 @ 7:00pm

Tickets on the 50 yard line could go for $1,000.

"But people such as Dillard, who's been scalping since 1985 and bought 200 Hawaii-Boise tickets, say it's risky business. The simple threat of rain, he said, could significantly dampen resale value."

Check out this guy's car. I'm sure there is money to be made.

One would not have a plate like that if there were no money involved.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

YEYAH!! 12-0! PERFECT SEASON!! CHEEHOO!!

Sugar Bowl against Georgia!
Old 12-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Old Member

Default Re: (she_heLLa_fresh)

The score didn't show it. It shows how good Washington can be, and how to beat Hawaii. Once Hawaii settled down, it was clear who was going to win. I think this game opened up Georgia's eyes on a game plan. Luck came in with the Kona winds. The pass bounce off Washington's receiver in the end zone, and into the Hawaii's defender with 12 sec on the clock. College Football does not get more exciting then this.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:12 AM
Old Member

Hawaii's Colt Brennan came in third for the Heisman Trophy. Florida's Tim Tebow won the award. As a Hawaii fan, I'm not shock or disappointed partly because it was sort of "expected" that Hawaii would not win the award due to lack of recognition. After all, you don't equate Hawaii with College Football (not yet).

Give Tim Tebow credit. I've seen some highlights of his play. And not a bad selection for the award.

I like Colt's comment about how the University need to upgrade their facilities. It's like him making a pitch to help his players and the players that will come after him. Now that he get's the media attention, people will listen. Again, that's his "selfless character". All for the team. You would hate to see the University spend the $4.5 million (Sugar Bowl) on pay raises and salaries. I'm sure state accountants are just waiting to get their hands on that.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:42 AM
Old Member

Sugar Bowl
January 1, 2008
Hawaii #10 vs Georgia #4
Fox network
Check your local time

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/...10068

ESPN radio this morning (Mike & Mike Show) asked the question, what happens if Hawaii blows out Georgia and ends with 13-0 season? With so many upsets heading toward the BCS bowl selection process, many would expect bowl results to be just as surprising.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Old Member

I taped the game because I didn't have time to watch the entire game. But now I'm not sure I need to.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/...ov=ap

Georgia 41 - Hawaii 10

My college professor at Hawaii once said in class, "the course you are taking here is the exact same course taught in Harvard, Yale, or Stanford." There is a lot of truth to that because 1+1 always = 2 no matter who teaches it, or how much you pay for the class.

Should it be the same in football?

I still believe so. Not because I'm a fan of Hawaii. A pass is a pass. A tackle is a tackle. 400lbs of weights weighs 400lbs no matter where you are.

Coming in undefeated, perhaps the team don't know what it is like to loose. The team was simply over confident. Confident it could pull a rabbit out of a hat. History was on their side. Perhaps Hawaii was just not prepared. Perhaps a lack of experience in BCS bowl games. Perhaps not used to playing in a stadium such as the SuperDome. Hawaii was simply not ready. And it showed right after the kickoff.

I guess that's the difference and why people pay top $$$$ to attend Harvard, Yale or Stanford.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:13 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GoLowDrew &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My college professor at Hawaii once said in class, "the course you are taking here is the exact same course taught in Harvard, Yale, or Stanford." There is a lot of truth to that because 1+1 always = 2 no matter who teaches it, or how much you pay for the class.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No way man.

The course may be the same but your learning experience is contigent upon the professor and how he/she can present the information so that you, and your other classmates, can absorb the information.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:11 AM

Default Re: U.H. Football (PapaPark)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PapaPark &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

No way man.

The course may be the same but your learning experience is contigent upon the professor and how he/she can present the information so that you, and your other classmates, can absorb the information.</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2 and too bad we lost. eh. kinda had a feeling. america did too when 70% of them voted for georgia..... bah. good season tho. 12-0 baby! chee doggy.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Old Member

I finally watch the Sugarbowl game I taped. Great broadcast. My only two comments are: 1. What's up with Fran Tarkenton? He looked and sounded dead.... Recall he used to host the show "That's Incredible?" Fran does not look alive. Being an alumni of Georgia, look live Fran.... You need better commentary! I'm sure Jimmy Johonson know nothing about Hawaii, but at least he had someone did his homework and complete a few sentences.

And what's up with the Fox camera man? I was not sure if I was suppose to watch the game or the Georgia Hotties in the Band. The camera was just fixed on the sideline on the blonde. Yes, these skimpy dressed girls look great, but let's get back to the game please..... The girls do nothing except raise their arms. I can understand if they are cheerleaders and is performing. But all they do is stand there and look pretty. Ok... I guess the director already know the games was a blow out, so why not look at something a bit more interesting.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Old Member

After going 12-0 and Sugar Bowl appearance. Coach Jones accepts offer from SMU.

http://starbulletin.com/breaki...=6601

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/...=lgns

Does anyone recall the last successful coach before Jones? Bob Wagner. He was fired just a few years after wining the Holiday Bowl. I don't blame Jones for leaving. Anything less than a perfect 12-0 season and a major BCS bowl will be a failure.

I just feel bad for the players who are in the system. I've seen how top players are affected by a new coach, new offense/defense, new system at U.H. Bob Wagner was not bad, he was replaced by Coach Von Appen. Wagner recruited players that were best for the Triple Option. Von Appen was a West Coast offense. Some players just can't adjust. The result was 0-12, 1-11, etc. Then came Jones. Now with a new coach, will U.H. Football go back to 0-11 again?
Old 01-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope the team adjusts to the new coach. however, it was a great season.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Old Member

Default Re: (dayne808)

All four Wide Receivers will leave and hope to turn pro.

Rivers and Hawthorne were Seniors. Junior Grice-Mullins and Bess will enter for the draft. Who is Tyler Graunke going to throw the ball to? As the backup QB, he waited an extra year to get his chance to start because Colt Brennan was going to turn pro after his Junior year.

Graunke was ready after the Sugar Bowl, scoring Hawaii's only TD. He felt confident to open next season against Florida. Now the coach is gone, and the core receivers are gone. He prepared 4 years for this season. Many have total confidence in him to take over where U.H. left off. Now he may have to learn a new system.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:43 AM
Old Member

Default Re: (GoLowDrew)

Many will remember this season and quarterback Colt Brennan. How soon did we all forget about Timmy Chang. Chang was the QB before Brennan. Yes, Brennan set many records (including those by Chang). There is one record Brennan and perhaps others will never touch.

17,072 career passing yards by Timmy Chang. The old record of 15,031 was set by Ty Detmer of BYU in 1991. A record that stood for almost 15 years.

Chang is still active in pro football with spots in NFL, Canada and Europe, hoping to get his big break.

The success of the team last year is perhaps due to the recruiting class during Chang's era. Chang set new records in High School in Hawaii. He set new records in college and NCAA. One can only wish him luck at the professional level.
Old 04-29-2008, 07:40 AM
Old Member

Default Re: (GoLowDrew)

http://blogs.starbulletin.com/...riors/

QB: Brennan - Redskins
WR: Bess - Dolphins
WR: Grice-Mullins - Texans
WR: Rivers - Titans
OL: Satele - Cardinals
Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Old Member

Who should start?

Inoke Funaki

Or

Tyler Graunke

GLD: If this is the Pros, I would start Funaki. Graunke is a senior. Everything he knows is from the old system. With a new system, new coach, new players, and few returning stars from last year. It will take a few real games for the team to be sync. The current record (1-2) shows it. Funaki is the future. One would expect he can only be better with each and every year.

Counter Point: A lost part of college sports often is the complete player development. It's more than just about the Wins. Graunke has proven he is a starter. He was suppose to be handed the keys last year (before Brennan decided to return for his senior year). Graunke has waited long enough. Worked hard enough over the year. Win or Loose, Warriors need to go with Graunke.