Notices

GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 07:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger
^ Probably the extra exhaust cam retard only affected the lower RPM regions, but does not affect anything past pre-spool or spool RPM range. I usually do the same when tuning a lot of cars, considering most of them are often daily driven.
But that is to say that when one installs these, to not automatically adjust the gears to that at the start.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So that was your teggy, I saw that video yest on 1320videos.... I was like English racing, green teg, 6262 I wonder if it's the guy from HT. Great car man **** hauls ***!!
Old 03-22-2014, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger

Congrats on the races! Your powerband is the ideal powerband for all types of racing, and I also continuously build all my cars under the same characteristics. It was great to see your car put up against the current standard of fast cars. Torque is just a figure, acceleration is based on gearing, redline and how much of the acceleration is done at the shortest gear possible and maintaining it for as long as possible. That usually also comes with good traction. Great races and thanks for sharing

Thanks man!

It means alot coming from guys like yourself who tune and build a **** ton of cars!

Next month its the 1/2 mile event, hoping for fun!
Old 03-23-2014, 05:52 PM
Homosexual by choice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ohhh sheit, that video is awesome i saw it getting passed around on fb and didn't realize it is yours!! siiiick man.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time to resurrect this beast of a thread

So after reading all 59 pages... I have deduced that these cams are (usually) drop in , left at 0,0 (after taking deck and milling into account) and are universally great cams for turbos from 50+ lbs/min?

I'm currently making 407whp on 91 pump gas. Hoping to use these and upping fuel and boost to get to 450. Currently using gsr cams, victor x manifold (may switch to skunk2 for more mid powerband), inline pro log manifold, gt3076r .83 housing, 3" full exhaust, 38mm wastegate. This is all on a 83mm sleeved gsr 9:1 compression, full super tech DR valvetrain. Would these cams help me gain mid range power and increase overall horsepower? Or is my setup too mild for these cams and should I be looking at something like the tuner1s or ITR cams instead?
Old 06-17-2016, 04:59 PM

With what you describe, yes. It will increase that on the midrange and more powerband. You'll need a throttle body with a fine idle screw, and be prepared to drive the car a bit differently, as they literally change the way the car behaves at partial throttle levels. You will DEFINITELY need to retune the car completely, and attempting to "tune out the idle" to sound like stock will do nothing but make the camshafts severely under-perform. So if "sleeper status" is part of your goal, these cams will not help you promote that at all.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks Shodan. And no not sleeper status, I want me some of that lope action! I'm running the older 68mm skunk2 throttle body. I wonder if that will be adequate
Old 06-17-2016, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Destructive-
Thanks Shodan. And no not sleeper status, I want me some of that lope action! I'm running the older 68mm skunk2 throttle body. I wonder if that will be adequate
The question you have to ask is whether or not your 68mm TB has a fine idle screw on it. You'll need it. Only way to know, is to check. If no, then don't use it, and get a 70mm Alpha. If yes, then keep it. Only you have the ability to know for sure.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Copy that, thanks
Old 06-17-2016, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

Lope is not all you want is is?
Old 06-17-2016, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No of course not. I jut meant that it is not "sleeper" what I'm after, so I do not mind the Lopey idle that comes along with the nature of these cams.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just so everyone knows, i was able to make 1023whp on these cams with a T3 1.06 6870 turbo!

I have a new set of Cams GSC has got for me that i will be testing 3-4 weeks. So we will see how they do then .
Old 02-13-2017, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by gringotegra
I have a new set of Cams GSC has got for me that i will be testing 3-4 weeks. So we will see how they do then .
Was this with the series "7" Billet camshaft that they released earlier in 2016, or is this a newer overall design that the team decided to test out?

Also, I've been getting a number of inquiries regarding the use of hydaulic LMAs (classic B-series) vs. Spring style LMAs (Science of Speed, Skunk2, OEM etc). Have you noticed any additional wear from your previous set using Spring style LMAs? (If that's what you're on, I have no idea. ). I had a discussion with the guys at Kelford and like Greg @ GSC, didn't see a problem with either system.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

umm I have cams that might go in soon (tuners 2) but if there is something better for a decent price I might just change lol
Old 02-14-2017, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ssmrico
umm I have cams that might go in soon (tuners 2) but if there is something better for a decent price I might just change lol
There is no "better price". It's the better product. You're not going to get a "bro-deal" or discounting of any sort. You want real performance, pay the piper (but it's not nearly as expensive as you think). Just remember, you won't really find these being sold used. When people get them.. they keep them.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well time to look for them
Old 02-15-2017, 07:40 AM

You have properly found them on their new website they developed

https://www.power-division.com/gsc-p...camshafts.html
Old 12-26-2017, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Was this with the series "7" Billet camshaft that they released earlier in 2016, or is this a newer overall design that the team decided to test out?

Also, I've been getting a number of inquiries regarding the use of hydaulic LMAs (classic B-series) vs. Spring style LMAs (Science of Speed, Skunk2, OEM etc). Have you noticed any additional wear from your previous set using Spring style LMAs? (If that's what you're on, I have no idea. ). I had a discussion with the guys at Kelford and like Greg @ GSC, didn't see a problem with either system.

I have a set of the series 7 gsc cam installed at 0 - 0 and they would idle adjust everything when I put back in the stock gsr cams everything is ok
Old 12-27-2017, 01:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by bajansohcvtec
I have a set of the series 7 gsc cam installed at 0 - 0 and they would idle adjust everything when I put back in the stock gsr cams everything is ok
If your block/head has been decked/milled just putting them at 0,0 won't work. You'll need to degree them. I couldn't get them to idle in my car when set at 0,0 so I took them out. Then I realized I wasn't accounting for the change in height due to block/head work. Next time the motor is out the GSC cams are going back in and I'll be sure to degree them.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

I'll be contacting GSC about this myself before making the purchase, but curious if anyone here has seen how this turbo performs on the GT(X)28 platforms?

11:1 CR, Intake, head, tubular manifold, straight exhaust are all perfect for these cams, but I haven't seen anyone go lower than a 3071 on these cams, or what the results might be.

Both .63 and .86 AR housings available, but limiting factor would likely still be the small exhaust wheel. Being said, with the other combination of parts I'd suspect the cams to still perform quite well... Flow rate is kinda low though, CTR cams would likely be comparable and safer for wear.

Edit: Well now I'm pretty undecided all over again. Also worth noting this is the B16 that's going into my car, so only 1.6L displacement with plans of revving 9500+. CTR cams tend to top out their powerband in the mid/high 8K RPM range from what I've seen. Still in the process of saving up money for a complete fresh longblock.

Last edited by Chance EG; 12-27-2017 at 06:12 AM. Reason: ramblings
Old 12-27-2017, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Imo you wont gain a lot with the 28 series wheel. Unless you run a super long top mount.
I would definately try itr or even better chep gsr cams and invest on a twin scroll setup using a slightly bigger exhaust wheel than the 47/53mm gt28 turbine
The second least exhaust gas reversion/cross cylinder contamination after a true twin turbo setup. Will help with 11:1.
Plus i dont think you need a gtx super duper multi blade on a 11:1 engine. "Billet" lightweight (re)design yes. 10/11 blades no.
Ill give results on the 49/56(turb) - 47/68(comp) evo X turbo on a 84x77 engine with a twin scroll setup soon. I suspect will be close to what you want.
Later ill get maybe a 18g "billet" lightweight redisign compressor wheel installed to it or sth.

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 12-27-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Imo you wont gain a lot with the 28 series wheel. Unless you run a super long top mount.
I would definately try itr or even better chep gsr cams and invest on a twin scroll setup using a slightly bigger exhaust wheel than the 47/53mm gt28 turbine
The second least exhaust gas reversion/cross cylinder contamination after a true twin turbo setup. Will help with 11:1.
Plus i dont think you need a gtx super duper multi blade on a 11:1 engine. "Billet" lightweight (re)design yes. 10/11 blades no.
Ill give results on the 49/56(turb) - 47/68(comp) evo X turbo on a 84x77 engine with a twin scroll setup soon. I suspect will be close to what you want.
Later ill get maybe a 18g "billet" lightweight redisign compressor wheel installed to it or sth.
I'm definitely interested to see what your results are. I've been peeking at your build thread periodically.

Twin scroll for me won't really be an option just based on the manifold designs I'm looking at, retaining AC, etc. Plus I've really been wanting to try one of the Tial vband housings, I think that's going to be a very nice change from my usual 4 bolt flanges.

The GTX2860R is definitely a little "overkill" (price tag) for what my goals are, but it'll give me a bit more headroom and I'm willing to spend the extra cash to give the Gen 2 disco potatos a chance. We haven't seen a lot of the smaller frame gen 2 turbos on Hondas yet, mostly Fords and a few SR20 Nissans. I've also found some sites selling Gen 2 supercores for pretty fair prices.

This is really just a case of me trying to have my cake and eat it too. I'll give GSC a call sometime next week to see what they say. My initial plans for these camshafts come from when I was still planning on using an 89mm stroke/bottom end, but I got an interesting deal to pick up this B16 and some other goodies. I've already dissected the engine and its in great condition for a hassle free rebuild, so I'm sticking with it. I've also never done a B16 build before, so curious to tread the waters.

Saving up the cash is definitely taking me longer than usual right now thanks to work taking an axe to over time, so no more 60 hour paychecks lol. I have plenty of time to reconsider some of these aspects right now.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-Small engines like small turbos on big boost for quick boost and early torque. Done countless times in europe .
-B16 likes high rpm due both rod stroke and bore stroke.
-High revving engines like housing/wheel combo that will be able to breathe up there and evacuate the cylinders efficiently
-Detonation likes high boost on low rpm.

Combine all this together and your best bet is to get a kinda small turbo and water methanol injection. To save the engine from the
low rpm torque punch. Again done countless times in europe with great results.
Imo you dont need anything more than a gsr cam if you are going spool happy B16 that make hp right out the 3500 rpm.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
-Small engines like small turbos on big boost for quick boost and early torque. Done countless times in europe .
-B16 likes high rpm due both rod stroke and bore stroke.
-High revving engines like housing/wheel combo that will be able to breathe up there and evacuate the cylinders efficiently
-Detonation likes high boost on low rpm.

Combine all this together and your best bet is to get a kinda small turbo and water methanol injection. To save the engine from the
low rpm torque punch. Again done countless times in europe with great results.
Imo you dont need anything more than a gsr cam if you are going spool happy B16 that make hp right out the 3500 rpm.
I have my eyes on a Devil's Own water injection kit Should help quite a bit for added insurance, I'll be using 93 octane for fuel.

My only concern with the GSR/CTR cams is that they typically stop making power around 8500RPM, at least in all motor applications.

I feel like the 2860 is absolutely perfectly sized for the B16. Even with the .63AR housing I don't think it would have any problem providing top end flow and power north of 350 wheel, provided free flowing exhaust.

Just need a cam that can compliment both high RPM and small turbo frames.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Id still consider twin scroll/divided setup if you want big cams on a smalish turbo.
The reason is low swallow turbo setups suck with big cams is because exhaust gases hit the turbine,
the turbo cannot swallow and they find low pressure area inside the last cylinder that didnt close the
valve yet due to big duration. Every pulse contaminates the last cylinder.
Thats the reason we pair 1 with 4 and 2 with 3 on divided setups.
Εδιτ: The other thing many people ignore is the fact you can play with timming gear ALOT more with twinturbo/ divided setup for the reason above.
The problem is cost

Last edited by Balor_Gr; 12-28-2017 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: GSC Turbo Cams Vs 01 ITR Cams... Better spool and 30whp+ Gain...