Notices
Engine Management and Tuning Crome, NepTune, Hondata, AEM, MOTEC

Why is OBD2 so evil for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Re: Why is OBD2 so evil for tuning?

I think it could work, but would be a project. There are enough unused inputs on some obd1 computers to gather the few missing sensors. The rest would require some put of the box thinking and some access to the datalogging port or dlc connector.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or use a RSX ECU and have the option to run COP.

This may be a worthwhile project, the downside is k-pro is the only current option available.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Salami
Your missing an important part-I was looking for an OBD2 tunable ECU. Not a plug and play OBD1 computer which is essentially what the Power FC and EMS are. From what both companies have told me when a scan tool is connected to the OBD2 port it will not see or read either ECU. In NC where I live that is automatic fail.

i would happily spend the money for either system if I could still pass the NC state "emissions" test.
I forgot about that portion. In addition, no EMS has flash memory to do what you want, so that you can still use the OBD2 diagnostic port. (Shown on the page 1)...

Sorry about that.. good luck.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Sorry about that.. good luck.
Pretty much have given up on an OBD2 system. Only option I see that could work would be the Greddy eManage Ultimate. Can't find much info on the web of peoples real world experience and what level of control I would have. For the money I would spend on the eManage I think my best bet is the Neptune RTP and I am trying to get the cash together for it and the accessories I want.

Thanks for the picture you sent me earlier.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PRB.......
Old 07-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
Or use a RSX ECU and have the option to run COP.

This may be a worthwhile project, the downside is k-pro is the only current option available.
Looks like I missed a few posts on this page. Would be a huge PITA trying to get one to run right on a B-series, correct? If it could even be done at all?

Originally Posted by Natural Aspirations
PRB.......
Huh? What is PRB?
Old 07-08-2012, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

PRB is the 02-04 RSX ecu that works with K-Pro, It would take some work but the benefits are an active OBD-2 port, integrated WB02, COP.

By no means would this be a direct plug and play affair but its a step forward and no more than S300 and CPR and a wideband controller.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Salami
Pretty much have given up on an OBD2 system. Only option I see that could work would be the Greddy eManage Ultimate. Can't find much info on the web of peoples real world experience and what level of control I would have. For the money I would spend on the eManage I think my best bet is the Neptune RTP and I am trying to get the cash together for it and the accessories I want.

Thanks for the picture you sent me earlier.
Oh.. yeah.. I use that also on my brother's turbo car. Works quite well, too. there are a lot of sensors that can be bypassed or turned off if needed. the values for tuning go from 0 (based upon the values defaulted from the ECU), and is pretty expandable.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What injectors? 240cc?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I was researching some OBD2 EMS options. For other cars there seem to be some form of parallel ECU (for example Haltech for 350Z). Meaning the factory ECU thinks it's controlling the engine, but it's controlling nothing, the aftermarket ECU is controlling the engine. Are there anything like this for Honda? I live in a place where they do the OBD2 plug emission testing, so as long as the ECU is tricked into thinking everything is fine it'll pass.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are suggesting is extremely illegal and would result in trouble for anyone who even discussed doing it with you, ask the guys at EDGE tuning.
Plus, it is way more work than you need to do. there is a guy who is running a k-series harness on a B, which can also run a K-series ECU. Meaning you can run Kpro, have coil-on-plug ignition, built-in wide band 02, full OBD diagnostics with an operational OEM plug. As long as you could pass visual inspection this setup would even pass in California, which in my opinion would be about as close to the perfect solution as we could ever ask for. Tuneable ECU, OBD2 compliance (in the spirit of the law, not exactly the letter of the law), INVISIBLE because it is basically OEM, you could even run an immobilizer if you wanted fairly easily.

Here is the thread. Everything in the guys project is completely doable, some enterprising tuner and wiring guy could combine forces to sell a package that would truly change the game for anyone running a 96-00, it would be comparable to the difference between hondata and a V-afc.
https://honda-tech.com/forums/engine...-kpro-3273141/
Old 08-05-2016, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

To be fair, that is still just as illegal. All of that still counts as tampering with an emissions control device. It's not quite as bad as sending false passes to a scanner, but the law wouldn't care if you made that case in front of a judge.

i still want to do something similar though, just for the sake of having a more modern ecu with better capabilities to run the car... COP, modern knock control, etc... Even the potential for DBW throttle. OBD1 ecus leave limited options on the table.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A lot of things we do on our cars are illegal. If anyone sells a kit they will definitely label it "for offroad use only". Where I live there don't have visual, so as long as OBD2 gives the correct response I'm good. I think due to my limited technical abilities, E-Manage Ultimate piggyback might the the only option for me.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spAdam
To be fair, that is still just as illegal. All of that still counts as tampering with an emissions control device. It's not quite as bad as sending false passes to a scanner, but the law wouldn't care if you made that case in front of a judge.

i still want to do something similar though, just for the sake of having a more modern ecu with better capabilities to run the car... COP, modern knock control, etc... Even the potential for DBW throttle. OBD1 ecus leave limited options on the table.
I said "spirit of the law" lol.
For example: Running an OBD2A p72 ECU via jumper in an OBD2B Integra GSR would pass every conceivable emissions test, but would be Illegal under the letter of the law.

My dream would be running K-pro which allows for up to 5 different Maps if you don't use VTC which B's don't have anyway.
1. Daily Emissions sensible tune - best MPG, cleanest and passes emissions with flying colors.
2. Aggressive street - "Type R" type tune, might even pass emissions.
3. Street e85 flex fuel
4. Track Full e85.
All switchable via my phone's bluetooth.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are people discussing running Megasquirt parallel to the stock ECU, but I haven't been able to find anyone trying this on a Honda.

https://www.diyautotune.com/support/...uirt-parallel/

I'm going to attempt a full Mega Squirt setup in parallel with the stock ECU - LS1TECH
Old 08-31-2016, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Contact me if you need help tuning the Megasquirt. I have tuned several of them. My B18C Type R will be coming up soon on one.